IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF for sale in GA with 248,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-17, 03:07 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanSC
I think he's referring to the bushings. They are pinched solid at the pivot point and designed to flex slightly with suspension travel. So the "zero point" of the bushing would be at rest, or stock ride height. If you lower the car, you move this rest point lower, and the bushing is in a perpetual state of flex. It eventually tears.

The right way is to loosen the control arm bolts, which releases the bushings' pinch hold. You then let the car rest on the wheels at it's new ride height and retorque the control arm bolts which repinches the bushings at their new zero point.

This applies to many cars of all makes, not just the IS-F. Every time you change the ride height, you have to do this if you have the stock style of fused-in bushing that does NOT freely rotate.

If, for example, you replace your bushings with polyurethane which rotate freely, then it's not a problem.
Very interesting! I've never heard this before....?

Can you start a thread with this info you posted to see how many have done this procedure when lowering the car whether springs or coil overs?? My ride did take a hit when I threw on my Swift springs....

I think this subject deserves it's own thread?
Old 02-20-17, 04:35 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Feel free to start a poll and see what people are doing. I don't even have an IS-F, how did I get here again?

I'm just posting up the proper procedure since I'm **** tech that does things as perfectly as he can.

For the record, lowering your car by just changing the springs is a pretty good way to make it ride worse. I fear that's your biggest problem but try repinching your control arm bolts and report back. You'll need a lift and some blocks or wheel stands. You can do it with jacks but it's much more of a PITA.

If the IS-F has a bushing at the bottom of the shock the way the SC/Supra does, you'll need to repinch that bolt, too.
Old 02-20-17, 07:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ere-first.html

Take a look at this thread. It has a lot of what you need to know.
Old 02-20-17, 11:37 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Thx, I'll take a look at that thread^^^^
Old 02-21-17, 05:28 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice thread. That about covers it.
Old 04-19-17, 02:16 PM
PTR_Indy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Firstly, I'd like to say, I've put 210,000 on my 2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited and the engine still purrs like a kitty cat. Granted, its taken 18 years, not 9 years like this ISF. BUT no matter how quickly the miles were obtained, you should hope that they were more often due to highway driving rather than the city. Also with an immaculate service record (like said ISF), + the minor (if few) flaws interior and some scuffs on front bumper, its safe to assume the original owner ensured the best maintenance he could account for to a car that he/she drove 5k a month with. I'd actually like to meet this person (whom ever owned the ISF in question) from ATL!? I congratulate you achieving such distance while making the time to care for a car that it seems you cared so much for!
Now the dealer selling this said vehicle is the only thing I would question... Their reviews are **** poor! They are clearly a poorly ran establishment; hoping to NOT to run into someone who actually knows their **** or has done some homework... Preying on innocent customers and taking advantage of nice looking vehicles sold at auction. Most of these vehicles you find at car lots that can't afford to pave their lot, most likely have numerous mechanical issues and hope buyers won't recognize their shady used car principle.
Note: If a Dealership has any knowledge of the vehicle's history or that they have serviced the vehicle and it is up to date, then most likely the dealership will sell the car themselves. Now if the dealership feels its more of a gamble to sell the car or that they dont want to spend the money to get the vehicle in working order to sell, then they will send it to auction; they dont want to be affiliated with the potential issues that will occur for future buyer, that would cost them too much time/money to make a profit.
Do as much research as possible before you speak with any car dealer that presents themselves like the dealer selling said ISF.
Old 04-20-17, 08:28 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kolyan
There is Maserati Quattroporte with 160k miles for sale.....Pretty impressive too for exotic car with Ferrari engine
Why would he want to buy that? LOL
Old 04-21-17, 11:39 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

View this post on Instagram