IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Coilovers: KWv3 vs HKS Hipermax

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-17, 06:24 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blackisF08
kw won't answer any questions about higher springs but mike from figs engineering is able to get you higher spring rates on the kw's, i ask before and if i am not mistaken you can get this done for about $400-$600
I actually got a response in 2016 from them (KW) when I had a damper rebuilt. They stated currently there are no options for a heavier spring rates and that it was not something they were going to do in the foreseeable future. Mind you this was not KW North America as I was living in Germany at the time.

I also contacted RSR about their i-sport coils and got the same answer.
Old 09-25-17, 04:49 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by kauaian
I actually got a response in 2016 from them (KW) when I had a damper rebuilt. They stated currently there are no options for a heavier spring rates and that it was not something they were going to do in the foreseeable future. Mind you this was not KW North America as I was living in Germany at the time.

I also contacted RSR about their i-sport coils and got the same answer.
I think the reason you guys are getting this response from KW and RSR is that their shocks cannot reliably handle high spring rates, and they know it. KW's in particular are twin tube shocks which are not well suited for high spring rates.

As many have noted, higher spring rates are essential to make a relatively heavy car like the ISF handle really well. If you look at the suspension tuning that goes into making other heavy cars like Camaro ILE's or Mustang GT350's, an essential component is to increase spring rates significantly in order to control weight transfer, particularly with the extreme performance rubber those cars are running.

We go into some of the technical details here: http://blog.rr-racing.com/news/categ...ension-design/

Having said all that, here are some details on our new Afco Racing Shock based coilovers:

http://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-R...isxfsu0001.htm

Our coilovers feature Afco Racing shocks, which (if required) can be rebuilt by us (same day) or any number of other Afco local dealers across the country. These shocks feature custom valving to our Penske valving specs, all billet alumium machined construction which saves 30+lbs compared to KW's, and are made in USA. Our coilovers feature Hypercoil springs, which are top level race springs also made in USA.

Please feel free to PM us for special pricing.

thanks!

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube