IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Coilovers: KWv3 vs HKS Hipermax

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-17, 08:39 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

I always find it funny when people never been to the track but build their car to be a race car and the first thing they buy is some sticky R comps. Not going to learn anything about yourself or your car with some cheater tires lol.
Old 09-16-17, 07:26 AM
Kojak77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the HKS Hipermax IV GT's for about 5,000 miles and I like them.

I'm not a race car driver, a suspension expert or engineer.
Old 09-16-17, 09:34 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I just did a ride along with my buddy who runs in an expert class in a stock engine Type R Integra with just gearing, suspension, and tires. Holy fack. I have experienced what it means to drive at 11/10's lol.

Chasing down a 458 was pretty badass in a little Honda.
Old 09-16-17, 10:23 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

I can't comment on the HKS but, I did have the V3's on my E60 M5 for many years and it was the most enjoyable suspension I've had to date. If I could take corners for eternity I would have with that suspension.
Old 09-19-17, 03:39 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone here have the kw v3 and switched to a stiffer spring? Eg Swift?
Old 09-19-17, 04:33 PM
FFM
Racer

You would need to verify with KW how much higher of a spring rate the valving can handle. But I don't see why it wouldn't be an option.
Old 09-19-17, 08:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

You might want to tell your buddy that a harness bar without at least a hoop is a death trap. If the car rolls and the roof crushes with a 5 or 6 point hitch, you will have your neck crushed because the roof will collapse and you will be unable to move forward to absorb the impact.

I really don't know why it is even legal to sell harness bars. They're a bad idea in every way unless they're integrated with a rollover hoop.
Old 09-21-17, 12:07 AM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
You would need to verify with KW how much higher of a spring rate the valving can handle. But I don't see why it wouldn't be an option.
kw won't answer any questions about higher springs but mike from figs engineering is able to get you higher spring rates on the kw's, i ask before and if i am not mistaken you can get this done for about $400-$600
Old 09-21-17, 12:09 AM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by FNSSESPORT
I was also considering the HKS Hipemax but literally just ordered the RR-Racing R&T coilovers yesterday. I actually like the fact they suggest a rebuild evry two years, makes me feel that they'll always be operating optimally, as opposed to just slowly degrading over time. However, i also don't drive my F year round, so i have the ability to send them out more easily than someone who daily drives their car year round. I also liked that the RR's were aluminum bodies and are only single (rebound) adjustable. Im too OCD and would probably play with the adjustments every day until i went crazy! Better to limit my options out of the gate!
This will be the first time ive ever had coilovers on a car, so im very interested to see the difference. Plus i cant wait to get my car back to a more "flat" stance. Im not a fan of the "raked" look the Swift springs give.
-R
keep us update it on how this perform when you get them installed
Old 09-21-17, 05:39 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
I agree. But there's a lot of pretty good coilovers that don't come with a dyno sheet that are worthy of riding on the street.

Not really a fan of any Japanese coilovers.

With the option of the KW V2's aka Greddy, I think the HKS are now obsolete. The RR Racing shocks are a great value, but one requiring future servicing to remain at that performance level is far from appealing on a daily driven car.
Hi... I really need to emphasize this... you don't have to service our coilovers. These recommendations are made in order to maintain "as new" performance. ALL shocks degrade with time and usage. Our coilovers (whether Penske shock based or Afco Racing) have external gas ports which allow you check pressure and fill yourself. All you would need is someone with a nitrogen or argon gas source in case you need to adjust them. It is good practice to change seals and shock oil every few years, however you don't have to, but at least you have that option. We offer a shock rebuild service for only about $400 where we do a 1 day turnaround on rebuild provided that shipment is arranged ahead of time.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

The following 4 users liked this post by RRRacing:
FFM (09-21-17), FNSSESPORT (09-21-17), lobuxracer (09-22-17), mikersoft (09-21-17)
Old 09-21-17, 06:19 AM
mgzt
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ Good to know. I actually had that question in my head.
Old 09-21-17, 07:20 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

That's quick turn around and excellent price. The KW turn around time is about 2-3 weeks and $180-200+ per corner for rebuild.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I really don't know why it is even legal to sell harness bars. They're a bad idea in every way unless they're integrated with a rollover hoop.
because harness look cool and because racecar man!
Old 09-21-17, 07:52 AM
FFM
Racer

Originally Posted by liquidtek
because harness look cool and because racecar man!
More like welding or drilling holes into an ITR isn’t cool, and without those harnesses it would have been impossible to stay in your seat. I haven’t been thrown around that hard in a car in a long time. That cars 60-0 is freakin scary haha. Bout a .001% chance of a rollover in that car doing autocross or a short course like Mission. His Honda Challenge EG has a full spec legal cage for full road course events with higher speeds and risk.
Old 09-22-17, 05:58 AM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by blackisF08
keep us update it on how this perform when you get them installed
For sure. Im really curious to see how theyll perform over stock '08 suspension.
Old 09-22-17, 11:26 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
..Bout a .001% chance of a rollover in that car doing autocross or a short course like Mission...
Maybe so, but someone wins the lottery too. I wouldn't do it just because I've seen weird stuff happen regardless of the venue, including autocross.

Quick Reply: Coilovers: KWv3 vs HKS Hipermax