IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Coilovers: KWv3 vs HKS Hipermax

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-17, 04:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
^^^Lol really? Because a street car requires only the finest tuned suspension. Come on.
You would be stunned at how bad the Tein HAs on my Supra are. They only remain there because they keep the frame off the floor and I haven't decided what I will do long term with it. Otherwise, it would have something at least consistent on all four corners. Most of the Asian brands are not consistent. This isn't "finely tuned" this is basic stuff. If they have more than a 20% difference between them, they're crap. Most of the Asian brands are like this which is why Mike is testing the BC shocks he sells. At least you know they all produce the same amount of damping.
Old 09-13-17, 07:02 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I agree. But there's a lot of pretty good coilovers that don't come with a dyno sheet that are worthy of riding on the street.

Not really a fan of any Japanese coilovers.

With the option of the KW V2's aka Greddy, I think the HKS are now obsolete. The RR Racing shocks are a great value, but one requiring future servicing to remain at that performance level is far from appealing on a daily driven car.
Old 09-13-17, 07:29 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

^^^^^That's the only thing that I'm hesitant on is the servicing every 2 years to maintain peak performance with the RR coils.........I like them and everything about them but not to sure on that aspect and how much it will cost?
Old 09-13-17, 07:34 PM
FFM
Racer

Also consider the down time of the vehicle while they are sent out. If your daily, it's on jackstands unless you swap your stock stuff in again.
Old 09-13-17, 09:23 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

I do agree with Lobuxracer that you get what you pay for. But I couldn't afford the Penske's and my car wasn't going to be a completely track oriented car with the daily pursuit of the best lap time. My car was a everyday driver, with some weekend canyon runs. I didn't want to compromise the already stellar handling from the factory. I learned my lesson from putting Tein's on my Supra (those sucked) and then putting BC Racing coils on my ISF (those sucked too). I had great luck with upgrading my Supra coils from Tein's to then HKS Performer Hipermax Coilovers. Given my positive experience with the HKS Coilovers on the Supra, I decided to give them a shot on the ISF, and I was definitely not disappointed. With stock sway bars, 245 front and 275 rear tires, the HKS GT4's set at the out of the box ride height and dampening settings, it was night at day. Better than stock handling and ride. The rear wasn't over dampened and I no longer had the feeling that if I hit a bump at high speed the rear would fly up in the air like it did stock. I don't have lap times to prove a better handling, but I do have one of my favorite off-ramps that I can now take almost 15mph faster than I did before! The car is now perfectly neutral, no under-steer, or scary over-steer. The ride is very compliant and comfortable, but firm and sporty...perfect in my opinion for the ISF. With straight line traction, I floor it and the rear squats and just go's!! I don't work for HKS, but I've great luck with their products for my Supra...always top notch quality and design...and they definitely didn't cut corners in my opinion on their Hipermax Coilovers. If you want to say you have the best, and can afford it, get the Penske's...but I'm definitely happy with my HKS's GT4's.
The following users liked this post:
YeShrug (02-14-20)
Old 09-13-17, 10:01 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

^^^^^^^^Thank you for your review and confirmation on these coilovers again!

Did you stray from the HKS settings that were set from the factory? Or did you start tweaking with them for something more custom to your situation and liking?
Old 09-14-17, 09:12 AM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
^^^^^^^^Thank you for your review and confirmation on these coilovers again!

Did you stray from the HKS settings that were set from the factory? Or did you start tweaking with them for something more custom to your situation and liking?
When I initially got them, I stayed with the factory settings. Then I experimented with the settings also for a while and found that the factory setting were best for me, so I went back to that. The dampening settings I think a matter of personal preference and also will vary on the modifications on the car (for example, if you have the Fsport rear sway bar, you'll have more oversteer with the factory HKS settings).
Old 09-14-17, 12:09 PM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
^^^^^That's the only thing that I'm hesitant on is the servicing every 2 years to maintain peak performance with the RR coils.........I like them and everything about them but not to sure on that aspect and how much it will cost?
I was also considering the HKS Hipemax but literally just ordered the RR-Racing R&T coilovers yesterday. I actually like the fact they suggest a rebuild evry two years, makes me feel that they'll always be operating optimally, as opposed to just slowly degrading over time. However, i also don't drive my F year round, so i have the ability to send them out more easily than someone who daily drives their car year round. I also liked that the RR's were aluminum bodies and are only single (rebound) adjustable. Im too OCD and would probably play with the adjustments every day until i went crazy! Better to limit my options out of the gate!
This will be the first time ive ever had coilovers on a car, so im very interested to see the difference. Plus i cant wait to get my car back to a more "flat" stance. Im not a fan of the "raked" look the Swift springs give.
-R

Last edited by FNSSESPORT; 09-14-17 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Spelling/grammar
Old 09-14-17, 12:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by FFM
I agree. But there's a lot of pretty good coilovers that don't come with a dyno sheet that are worthy of riding on the street.

Not really a fan of any Japanese coilovers.

With the option of the KW V2's aka Greddy, I think the HKS are now obsolete. The RR Racing shocks are a great value, but one requiring future servicing to remain at that performance level is far from appealing on a daily driven car.
IMHO, if you aren't getting Penske, you should just buy the fixed value Bilsteins and enjoy the performance. The reality is, the adjustments most owners make are subjective, not objective, because they don't do proper testing to determine what is actually working and what is not. The vast majority of folks would be far better served by a shock like the Bilstein with a fixed value because it will perform, they will be consistent out of the box, and they're ultimately pretty cheap. If you want adjustability, and are willing to put in the time to make them work properly, then buy something well known to work and deal with the service intervals.

All shocks have a service life. Some can be rebuilt. Many cannot and have to be replaced. We are right back to speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?
Old 09-14-17, 01:45 PM
FFM
Racer

I got access to scales and a lift for corner balancing. My buddy is pretty adamant about doing it anytime I throw suspension on a vehicle too, so I will always opt for adjustability.

But again, your average driver is throwing on suspension to lower the vehicle for aesthetic reasons. They just don't want a ****ty ride haha. Thus why mid level options exist. I laugh when guys will say Moton or nothing (or a comparable expensive system) for a street car that takes off ramps hard and bangs corners through a starbucks drivethru now and then.
Old 09-14-17, 02:34 PM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

The maintenance costs on the Penskes are very reasonable and with a 1 day turn-around time with RR Racing which is pretty good compared to sending your shocks for rebuild with a Japanese company that might take 3-4 weeks.
Old 09-14-17, 04:18 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I've had RRRacing Penske coilovers and currently have figs Ohlins. Neither of them came with dyno sheets. I'm not sure if they were supposed to.

Last edited by jat0223; 09-14-17 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-14-17, 04:43 PM
FFM
Racer

Shouldn't have bought them then amirite

Im kidding. Are the RR's replacements or rebuilds? One day turn around is quick. But let's be real. 75% of this forum don't work on their own cars. So besides the down time of servicing you are also paying R&R twice at a shop.

And again, the point being for what gain? Don't there's more than a handful that can push the limits of most tires at a track let alone one coilover over another. To do one or even two track days a year doesn't justify many coilovers. Most should be learning the limits of stock first haha.
Old 09-15-17, 02:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Most people don't know jack about handling. Coils can make your car feel better but actually handle worse. Make sure you know how to dial them in. It's not a simple mod
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (09-15-17)
Old 09-15-17, 05:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by FFM
...And again, the point being for what gain? Don't (think) there's more than a handful that can intelligently push the limits of most tires at a track let alone one coilover over another. To do one or even two track days a year doesn't justify many coilovers. Most should be learning the limits of stock first haha.
Quoted and slightly modified for truth. After the worst HPDE weekend ever where a good friend was the victim of a fatal accident, I called my dad who has been around racing far longer than I have and we talked bit. His words of wisdom have stuck with me. "You have to ask yourself a couple of important questions before you go back on the track. What are you trying to prove, and to whom are you trying to prove it?" He's the same guy with the sign in his garage "speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

Quick Reply: Coilovers: KWv3 vs HKS Hipermax