IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Coilovers: KWv3 vs HKS Hipermax

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-17, 08:42 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Moderate track work? That's definitely an understatement from the likes of you, my friend!

-Mike
​​​​​​​true. he should go all out.
Old 01-19-17, 08:43 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kojak77
I have the HKS Hipermax IV GT's and I love them.

I had Swift springs on stock suspension for a little over a year before I switched to the HKS, and I have zero regrets.

Install was easy, no need to take apart the factory suspension, and modify and factory parts like KW.
that's the downside to the KW's, especially for the price. not sure why they do this other than cost
Old 01-20-17, 12:03 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
What coils for the ISF do you like for moderate track work and streetability . You can PM
That's a difficult question to give you a straight answer because there are so many factors. I can tell you what I'd recommend within a certain price range or if you're on the fence I will give you my honest opinion on whether or not it's worth it to spend the extra and make a jump to "x" or just save the money and stick with "y" and my reasons for feeling that way.

Originally Posted by msgs350
Does the shock body valving have more affect on the ride/handling than the actual springs? It seems like Greddy may have changed out the springs (more stiff) for the IS-F application rather than developing a new coil over system. Correct me if I'm wrong but, would this be the same as taking a BC coilover for a x250 and then simply swapping a stiffer spring on it? In any case, I gave up on buying the GreddyxKw but wonder if anyone else bought it. Feedback would be great as they are priced well.
Absolutely yes shock valving plays a much bigger role in all aspects than just the spring rate.

Story time- I currently have MCS 2-way remotes on my M3 and I daily the car using 800(f)/900(r) lb/in spring rates. With the compression valving mostly open (nearly full soft) it is more compliant and comfortable than the stock suspension was with rates about a third of what I have on the MCS. I leave the rebound damping in the same range as when I track the car so the springs are still controlled and the car isn't bouncy and pitching about (again- the benefit of a 2-way vs. a single adjustable damper). My father has the same generation M3 with koni yellows and ~200/350 lb/in rates. Like many people he had falsely assumed that my car with basically triple the rates as his was going to be a skateboard going down the road. I tried to explain to him that a high quality shock with a good valving package designed specifically for rates in that range would be more comfortable than his car on his rates. Of course he didn't believe me so I threw him the keys to my car for the weekend and told him to go drive some of the more bumpy local canyon roads and report back. Well this was a mistake because he then proceeded to steal my car for the next few weekends in order to play with the suspension in different settings He found the suspension to be so much more comfortable and compliant than his Koni yellows with less than half the spring rates on my MCS that he ordered a set of MCS for his own car... he's almost 63 and his tolerance for comfort is getting tighter and tighter. I spec'd his with slightly softer rates (700/800 lbs/in) and it's been fun to see him fall in love with that car all over agin. Bottom line valving is king. Valving for a specific spring rate range is also crucial. Typically the higher end dampers have a much bigger usable range than low end stuff. For example my MCS have a usable range with the current valving of ~500-1100lbs/in. Most consumer grade dampers have a usable range of only ~10-15% (or 50-100lbs/in in most cases depending on the off the shelf rates). If you buy an off the shelf coilover kit that comes with a 300lb/in spring rate on it and then you swap those springs for a 600lb/in rate you can be all but certain it's going to ride and perform like absolute garbage (stiff and bouncy).

Originally Posted by mindcrime
that's the downside to the KW's, especially for the price. not sure why they do this other than cost
It does reduce cost but they also want you to reuse the OEM top hats with OEM rubber bushings because they are a lot better at reducing NVH and improving comfort than most of the aluminum top hats with pillowball (spherical) bearings.

Really it's not that big of a deal to swap top hats onto the KWs though. Maaaybe an extra 10-15 minutes of work if you're taking your time.

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 01-20-17 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-20-17, 12:52 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Thus what makes me hesitant with the Greddy coilovers. They raised the spring rates due to myself and numerous others wondering why they were offering the same specs as the ISx50 models. But that doesn't mean that the valving was adjusted to comp for it, and/or can the current valving handle the higher rates.
Old 01-20-17, 05:58 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

i'm not sure of the spring rates on the KW V3, but i adjusted the compression two clicks counter clockwise leaving rebound as is, it's been great the last couple of days
Old 01-20-17, 06:02 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by mindcrime
i'm not sure of the spring rates on the KW V3, but i adjusted the compression two clicks counter clockwise leaving rebound as is, it's been great the last couple of days
From what I was told from a vendor, kw v3 is 11 kg front and 8 kg rear. Keep in mind that that the shock body valving also plays a critical role (from what I've been told). At this point, I'm leaning towards the KW V3 as well. I've crossed out the Greddy x kw/st off my list.
Old 01-20-17, 09:20 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the HKS Coilovers close to a year and LOVE them. I had the BC coilovers with 14/10 springs previously and those were not great. The handling with the BC's were worse than stock, the ride was a bit smoother but bouncy. I think part of it was that 14K was not enough spring stiffness for our very front heavy, V8 loaded, ISF's. The 16K/10K spring combo of the HKS Coilovers is perfect for nice neutral handling (with stock rear sway bar...if you upgrade to the Fsport rear sway bar you'll have a bit more oversteer with the HKS Coils). The ride of the HKS Coils is firm but comfortable. It's not as smooth as LS460, but the ISF is a full out sports sedan that can handle with the best with the proper suspension setup. I haven't personally been in a KW equipped ISF, but from what I've read, the KW's are geared more toward comfort rather than handling.
Old 01-21-17, 03:30 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman16
I have the HKS Coilovers close to a year and LOVE them. I had the BC coilovers with 14/10 springs previously and those were not great. The handling with the BC's were worse than stock, the ride was a bit smoother but bouncy. I think part of it was that 14K was not enough spring stiffness for our very front heavy, V8 loaded, ISF's. The 16K/10K spring combo of the HKS Coilovers is perfect for nice neutral handling (with stock rear sway bar...if you upgrade to the Fsport rear sway bar you'll have a bit more oversteer with the HKS Coils). The ride of the HKS Coils is firm but comfortable. It's not as smooth as LS460, but the ISF is a full out sports sedan that can handle with the best with the proper suspension setup. I haven't personally been in a KW equipped ISF, but from what I've read, the KW's are geared more toward comfort rather than handling.
How do the BC's handle bumps/rough roads compared to the HKS? Either one ever bottom out over bumps?
Old 01-21-17, 03:44 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
How do the BC's handle bumps/rough roads compared to the HKS? Either one ever bottom out over bumps?
The BC's were very bouncy and did bottom out! I had to adjust the dampening to be tighter/stiffer on the BC's to compensate for it bottoming out. Mind you these BC's were with 14K/10K and some may have better luck with the 16K/12K BC setup. The HKS coils are 16K/10K from the factory and there is no bounciness and felt overall more comfortable. Spend the extra money and get the HKS over the BC's!
Old 01-21-17, 04:56 PM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

*cough* Figs Ohlins DFV *cough cough*
Old 01-21-17, 09:31 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Supraman16
KW V3 are race. anything under V3 is street.
Old 09-12-17, 10:03 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

BUMP:

Guys with the HKS Hipermax coilovers.....do you know what the weight savings over the stock suspension per corner?

Just did a drive with 10 ISF's and hit some canyon roads and realized the stock suspension/swift combo doesn't cut it anymore for me with the stock shocks @87k miles. The high speed feeling out of the backend above 120mph seems scary at times!

So coils are back on my radar and trying to decided between the HKS and the new RR road and track coils. They are about the same price.

Thx
Old 09-12-17, 11:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Simple answer - if you don't get a dyno chart of the shocks you are buying, they probably aren't worth buying at all.

HKS has a nice name, but they're not known for suspension parts. I know people who call them Hong Kong Sports for this very reason.

Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Old 09-13-17, 06:28 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

^^^Lol really? Because a street car requires only the finest tuned suspension. Come on.
Old 09-13-17, 07:48 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Simple answer - if you don't get a dyno chart of the shocks you are buying, they probably aren't worth buying at all.

HKS has a nice name, but they're not known for suspension parts. I know people who call them Hong Kong Sports for this very reason.

Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
I don't know if the HKS coils come with a dyno chart or not (anybody who has the HKS can chime in)?? I do remember a while back Mike (Figs engineering) said that BC was going to start supplying dyno charts for each shock sold?........... apparently that never happened because he never updated that thread and hasn't responded to inquiries regarding that with BC. On that point as well do KWV3's come with a dyno chart for each shock?

I think the only shock dyno provided is with the Penske's?

Agree though speed cost money no argument there.

Quick Reply: Coilovers: KWv3 vs HKS Hipermax