IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Isf: Handles like chit

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-17, 05:34 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Have you upgraded your front LCA bushings yet?

-Mike
Old 01-11-17, 07:10 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by eddyisf
#1 what year is your chit maybe you need to update the steering ecu for a better feel<br /><br />#2 why did you get kw when there's other options we are in the year 2017 maybe back in 2008 that was the only chit available but that's not the case today<br /><br />#3 this isn't a lexus LS this car was made to feel road imperfections I personally like it feels like I'm driving a race car<br /><br /><br />
#3-well, that's like just your opinion man. go to maximum motorsports.com and see what the've been doing with mustangs for years now. a lot more than the IS F.
Old 01-11-17, 07:13 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nks979
Ive seen it mentioned that theres issues with our power steering feeling "notchy" that was covered under a recall or TSB. Yes you will feel every bump with this car, how long have you had it?
I think i've heard of this as well. I'll to a search
Old 01-11-17, 07:21 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

I edited my post. current tire setup is Falken's up front(car came with them and thread is still good). just replaced rears with 285/30/19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 pole position. I'll double check tire pressure later today.

Current setup: KW V3 set on the minimum recommended settings. just installed two weeks ago, but I'm going to lower the front one setting and adjust the compression/rebound etc. I also have Figs front/rear sway bar end links with F-sport rear sway bar. i haven't aligned the car yet as i'm going to lower the front still and i needed new tires in rear. alignment will come soon.
Old 01-11-17, 07:26 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by blackisF08
i just installed kw v3 a few months back, the ride quality as well as response is amazing and very comfortable. a few things could be wrong as other members have mentioned like bad alignment, installation or maybe even bad wheel bearings.
what are your settings? I'm going to recheck everything soon. wheel bearing as fine.
Old 01-11-17, 08:00 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

So, your title should read, "ISF with coilover suspension set to its softest setting, with oversized and mismatched tires, with the fronts being lousy Falkens and no alignment handles like chit".

There, that's better
Old 01-11-17, 08:12 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by mindcrime
current tire setup is Falken's up front(car came with them and thread is still good). just replaced rears with 285/30/19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 pole position. I'll double check tire pressure later today.
This probably isn't related to your issue, but with HiPo tires, different brands and models within that same brand should never be mixed. I also feel road imperfections, but I like it that way. My F handles like a slot car and does exactly what I tell it to do. But, I'm on stock suspension - except for the front RR Racing A arm bushings and F-Sport rear sway bar.

Lou
Old 01-11-17, 08:42 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I think i've heard of this as well. I'll to a search
The "notchy" steering was something I experienced with my IS250. At highway speeds, the steering wheel would feel like it was stuck in a notch that you had to pop out of when turning/changing lanes. It has nothing to do with handling or road feel... the solution was to replace the steering rack.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-steering.html
Old 01-11-17, 08:56 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flowrider
This probably isn't related to your issue, but with HiPo tires, different brands and models within that same brand should never be mixed. I also feel road imperfections, but I like it that way. My F handles like a slot car and does exactly what I tell it to do. But, I'm on stock suspension - except for the front RR Racing A arm bushings and F-Sport rear sway bar.

Lou
I know Lou, I will swap out the falkens for Bridgestone very soon. I edited my post. handling is good, but there's times when the car is just like a giant vibrator and it's not a "happy ending".
Old 01-11-17, 08:57 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jz39
So, your title should read, "ISF with coilover suspension set to its softest setting, with oversized and mismatched tires, with the fronts being lousy Falkens and no alignment handles like chit".

There, that's better
replace handles with "rides like"
Old 01-11-17, 10:23 AM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker4096
What spring rates did you buy? Also what are your dampening settings?
kw v3 only comes with one type of spring rates, they don't have an option to customize it. i believe rates are 12/7 on kws
Old 01-11-17, 10:26 AM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

what are your settings? I'm going to recheck everything soon. wheel bearing as fine.
everything is stock like it came from kw, height of the car is stock as well. recommended kw settings are 6 front and 9 clicks rear. i played with it a few times but i didn't like any of them so i went back to kw recommendations and car feels real smooth
Old 01-11-17, 10:33 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

That is odd to hear, I've only heard great things about the KW. I recently got my 08 ISF and I was shocked at how bad the ride was, especially on imperfections(and in Baltimore there are many). I upgraded to BC Racing coilovers with soft swift spring upgrade of 14/10, then I went to 20/25 from full stiff, so it is rather soft. It now makes for a great DD and is much more comfortable. I will say it may be soft for some, but once we get past winter and into some sporty driving days I can firm it up quite easily. Here is my height with 19" wheels with 35/30 sidewalls.

Perhaps you may need some dampening adjustment or a softer spring setup? I went with 14/10 but I know some like it firmer at 16/12 or even 18/12.
Attached Thumbnails Isf: Handles like chit-img_0385-1.jpg  
Old 01-11-17, 11:15 AM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

This probably doesn't have bearing on the harshness, but if you kept the original front falkens on from the last guy.. I'm going to guess they are 225/40? If so, this doesn't sound safe.

As to the harshness.. can you post a pic of the part # of your KW. If everyone else is reporting a ride comfort improvement over the 08 ridiculously harsh ride - you might have the wrong rates?

I also have the bridgestone s-04 in the upsizing hat was recommended on here. I do not like it and I can feel bumps more than the OEM size and tire. But maybe your Falkens were really soft.

p.s. I have the notch... and of course the dealership can never replicate the problem.
Old 01-11-17, 11:25 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Eddie, send me a text.

Lets get this issue resolved.

Tire sizing and mismatched tires will make a difference on LA roads.. Settings too.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Quick Reply: Isf: Handles like chit