IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone ever went from a stock ISF straight to I/H/E/tune?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-17, 08:22 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

[/QUOTE]Alizia
The tune was the biggest surprise; it totally changed the way the car felt. At first I had a big WTF moment as it felt like a different car. There is no doubt in my mind that the tune is worth the money. You should definitely get the tune with new intake since intakes won't break the bank anyways. You can definitely argue why headers aren't worth the money because it'll cost you around $1500 - $2500 depending on which one you buy and another $800 for installation unless you do it yourself. Luckily for me Ohio doesn't do smog or emission checks yearly but if I lived in Cali, I would 100% go with headers with built-in high-flow cats which isn't cost efficient since the gain isn't as big. What I'm saying is that if I had to go that route... I straight up wouldn't even buy headers.[/QUOTE]

OP, Just a caveat here remember it's the headers that will supply the biggest horsepower gains not the tune if you install just the tune with RR racing intake you will see moderate horsepower increase. The tune combined with RR intake will provide so many beneficial aspects to the way the car performs it changes the character of the ISF in a good way it's must have for anyone seeking to improve the performance of their ISF whether it be with or without headers. It's definitely something that I would seek out as well but just keep in mind to get the maximum power and performance you'll need to have a combination of all four elements I/ H/E/T, even Rafi from RR Racing has stated as much. So if you're looking to truly max out the power capability currently on NA ISF, headers are needed they're a big part of the equation. So is $2500 roughly for cost of headers and install worth money? that I leave up to the original OP depending on what his needs and wants are as well as emission testing in his state.

Oh, no headers come with cat installed on them you can get a set of high-flow cats installed onto your Joe Z exhaust. If you install high-flow cats you will lose between 8 to 10 HP on average but check with PPE and skikky regarding the horsepower loss with their setups not that big of HP difference unless you looking for max power with no compromise. Another benefit of HI Flow Cats they will help to control exhaust fumes getting into your cabin as well as tone down the exhaust note a little bit.

One last thing remember this if you do go with the full setup I/H/E/T your going from 350'swhp car to 420 to 430 whp car roughly with increases in torque as well and the way the car makes power with tune so yeah it's going to be a huge difference in seat of you pants.

Last edited by Weapon F; 01-12-17 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-12-17, 08:46 AM
SikkyMFG
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

We done several vehicles with the combination you're referring to and every single one has been pleased with the results.

Typically with the installation of the high flow cats cars tend to lose about 6-9rwhp.
Old 01-12-17, 09:04 AM
Alizia
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Weapon F
OP, Just a caveat here remember it's the headers that will supply the biggest horsepower gains not the tune if you install just the tune with RR racing intake you will see moderate horsepower increase. The tune combined with RR intake will provide so many beneficial aspects to the way the car performs it changes the character of the ISF in a good way it's must have for anyone seeking to improve the performance of their ISF whether it be with or without headers. It's definitely something that I would seek out as well but just keep in mind to get the maximum power and performance you'll need to have a combination of all four elements I/ H/E/T, even Rafi from RR Racing has stated as much.

To clarify what I meant, the tune changed the driving characteristics of the car completely. I'm not saying it was faster; it's just everything in general was better. The shift times were way faster and the drive felt a lot smoother. Just a quality of life thing.
Old 01-12-17, 09:57 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Alizia
The tune was the biggest surprise; it totally changed the way the car felt. At first I had a big WTF moment as it felt like a different car. There is no doubt in my mind that the tune is worth the money. You should definitely get the tune with new intake since intakes won't break the bank anyways. You can definitely argue why headers aren't worth the money because it'll cost you around $1500 - $2500 depending on which one you buy and another $800 for installation unless you do it yourself. Luckily for me Ohio doesn't do smog or emission checks yearly but if I lived in Cali, I would 100% go with headers with built-in high-flow cats which isn't cost efficient since the gain isn't as big. What I'm saying is that if I had to go that route... I straight up wouldn't even buy headers.[/QUOTE]

OP, Just a caveat here remember it's the headers that will supply the biggest horsepower gains not the tune if you install just the tune with RR racing intake you will see moderate horsepower increase. The tune combined with RR intake will provide so many beneficial aspects to the way the car performs it changes the character of the ISF in a good way it's must have for anyone seeking to improve the performance of their ISF whether it be with or without headers. It's definitely something that I would seek out as well but just keep in mind to get the maximum power and performance you'll need to have a combination of all four elements I/ H/E/T, even Rafi from RR Racing has stated as much. So if you're looking to truly max out the power capability currently on NA ISF, headers are needed they're a big part of the equation. So is $2500 roughly for cost of headers and install worth money? that I leave up to the original OP depending on what his needs and wants are as well as emission testing in his state.

Oh, no headers come with cat installed on them you can get a set of high-flow cats installed onto your Joe Z exhaust. If you install high-flow cats you will lose between 8 to 10 HP on average but check with PPE and skikky regarding the horsepower loss with their setups not that big of HP difference unless you looking for max power with no compromise. Another benefit of HI Flow Cats they will help to control exhaust fumes getting into your cabin as well as tone down the exhaust note a little bit.

One last thing remember this if you do go with the full setup I/H/E/T your going from 350'swhp car to 420 to 430 whp car roughly with increases in torque as well and the way the car makes power with tune so yeah it's going to be a huge difference in seat of you pants.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a ton for your detailed reply!
I'm not going to be tracking (drag nor road course) the F anytime soon, if ever, so I'll definitely get high flow cats installed to prevent excess fumes...Even though it's not a daily, when I do drive it, I don't want to deal with the fumes of being catless.
Definitely excited to get headers here soon for my F! Actually installing Dezod "green" headers on my IS300 tomorrow! Pretty excited about that as it'll be FBO now. Supposed to be about 15whp gain...I know it still won't touch my F performance wise but should make it even more fun to drive lol.
Sorry for the over excitement.....These 2 sets of headers will be my first time ever going aftermarkett headers in any vehicle, lol!

V.