IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Fake denso spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-16, 02:43 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Counterfeit products are such a frustration. I shouldn't be surprised they go through all the trouble of printing box's and fake part numbers but I am. You can buy a fake Rolex so why not a spark plug I guess! Nothing free in this world still holds true; or in this case, cheap.
Old 12-20-16, 06:08 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always check to see where the seller is shipping from. I never order anything from China...the likely chance of it being 'factory' or 'OEM' out of China is zero.
I also notice now that some sellers are based in the US, but will ship out of China.
Old 12-20-16, 07:00 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I ordered mine from welljob too. I have not put them in yet, so I pulled them out of the boxes for a look see. Guess what? They're not all the same. I have four of on style and four of another. If I had got all eight of either style I probably wouldn't suspect a thing, but take a look for yourself. I'd say more than likely, these are very good looking fakes - both of them. I bet the difference is, as Denso says, in the construction where they cut corners to save money. But I digress, let the picture tell the whole story: (BTW, they are positioned exactly the way they came out of the boxes - another thing you never see with the genuine article as they are all put in the box with the same orientation).
WOW - Sorry Lance. I just checked mine, all are identical. I'm going to take them to a dealer and compare them against the real thing. But, I believe, I got lucky. But, never again

BTW, I'm sending well-job a message.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 12-20-16 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-20-16, 08:39 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

This thread is now interesting...

I was going to order a set of these plugs off eBay but was hesitant of the China origin. I'm glad i didn't, and when its time to buy plugs, I think its worth a little more to order from a dealership (myLparts or similar).
Old 12-20-16, 09:15 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Really?

Originally Posted by flowrider
I'm going to take them to a dealer and compare them against the real thing.
I'm not sure I'd have the ***** to walk into a dealer with eBay parts and ask to compare them to the genuine article. That reminds me of the cheap asses that would come to the cycle shop and try on the new helmets, jackets and other riding gear only to leave without buying anything and a week later you see them wearing all the same gear they bought online to save 10 or 15 bucks. Sad.

Now that I have that off my chest, when I purchase plugs for my Lexus, I'll march right up to the parts counter at my local Toyota dealer and do some business.

Last edited by StillLine; 12-20-16 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-20-16, 10:27 PM
ISFAdam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't mind as much giving business to my local yota dealer if I would've had a better experience with them. Having to tell them which parts are interchangeable (oil filter), during oil change I hear lube tech say 'if I put 9 quarts of oil in this thing it'll be pouring out the top of this mother****er,' and then proceed to watch TWO guys get in my isf after oil change is finished to bring it around... so I do my own maintenance now, and why not save some money if you can? If you're into giving money away feel free to throw some my way.
Old 12-21-16, 12:08 AM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StillLine
I'm not sure I'd have the ***** to walk into a dealer with eBay parts and ask to compare them to the genuine article. That reminds me of the cheap asses that would come to the cycle shop and try on the new helmets, jackets and other riding gear only to leave without buying anything and a week later you see them wearing all the same gear they bought online to save 10 or 15 bucks. Sad.

Now that I have that off my chest, when I purchase plugs for my Lexus, I'll march right up to the parts counter at my local Toyota dealer and do some business.
Local dealers are known to hustle you, as well as take your ISF out for a joy ride. So why support them? It isn't like they're some mom n pops shop that will tank if you don't support them. I have no problem buying 'ebay parts' if you know exactly where they come from. There are Toyota/Lexus dealerships selling OEM/Factory parts on eBay at good prices.
Anything coming in thru China is a big risk.
Old 12-21-16, 07:54 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

You can get the OEM plugs from any auto parts store. It'll just be in the Denso Boxes and not the Toyota boxes. I believe that you'll save some money depending on what Lexus charges. It's around 88 dollars at the stores I believe.
Old 12-21-16, 01:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker4096
You can get the OEM plugs from any auto parts store. It'll just be in the Denso Boxes and not the Toyota boxes. I believe that you'll save some money depending on what Lexus charges. It's around 88 dollars at the stores I believe.
I'd like to know what stores those are. I'm seeing $14.99 each at all the major auto parts retailers. MyLParts is cheaper, but none are cheap.
Old 12-21-16, 01:41 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'd like to know what stores those are. I'm seeing $14.99 each at all the major auto parts retailers. MyLParts is cheaper, but none are cheap.
You're right, I was looking up the wrong part number. I did find them on amazon for $10-15 a piece.
Old 12-21-16, 07:04 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

The seller never returned my message. I have contacted eBay and found that and well-job is not allowed to sell spark plugs anymore. He is also being monitored, and could be dropped as a seller. I have urged eBay to do this. They suggested I contact PayPal about the payment. I am expecting a call back. I'll update this post. But, I believe my plugs to be genuine.

PayPal told me to STICK-IT!

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 12-27-16 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-22-16, 09:59 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

I have a bad feeling the devil is in the details. I'm going to cut mine up and see what the inside looks like. I ordered a set from MyLParts. Should be here Saturday. $110 delivered to the door, but I am as confident as Lexus these are genuine.
Old 12-22-16, 01:03 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

FYI, Walmart sells them for around $10 online. Amazon Prime is around $11-12. Both are genuine products, I have used them. This is the cheapest I have seen.
Old 12-27-16, 04:26 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i see them at rock auto for 9 bucks for the oem number?
The following users liked this post:
LUKE6028 (12-27-16)
Old 12-27-16, 05:33 AM
gravesg
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

i've been running the plugs i got from well-job for about 10K miles now ... all seems fine .. should i swap out ???

Quick Reply: Fake denso spark plugs?