IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2012 Battery finally died (8/2012-11/2016, RIP) and this is what I learned/went with!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-16, 01:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

thanks for shring this. I want a non Lexus dealer battery. They are ****e and die in less than 18 months with track work. I actually drive around with a battery jumper unit in my trunk because its died 2 times in 2.5 years. Free replacement means jack if you are stuck in a parking lot with a waiting room filled with patients. Will order the Bosch. Thanks
Old 03-20-17, 04:58 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

I killed my original battery yesterday while setting the transmission fluid level. I decided to give the Bosch AGM a try after finding this thread.. The Pep Boys online discount code still works and my local store has one ready for pick-up today.. Thanks, OP!

-Mike
The following users liked this post:
ssis300 (03-20-17)
Old 03-20-17, 07:52 AM
ssis300
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft
I killed my original battery yesterday while setting the transmission fluid level. I decided to give the Bosch AGM a try after finding this thread.. The Pep Boys online discount code still works and my local store has one ready for pick-up today.. Thanks, OP!

-Mike
You're going to love it. You will notice the difference from the get go, in how quickly it turns over......almost like a super-bike ignition.
Old 03-20-17, 08:05 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

4 years impressive ? My S2k was running on original 10+ year battery with zero issues even in -5F temps
Old 03-20-17, 08:15 AM
ssis300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kolyan
4 years impressive ? My S2k was running on original 10+ year battery with zero issues even in -5F temps
Speaking from experience (and the Texas heat), I think 4 years is a long time for a daily-driven V8 engine............but perhaps that's just me. That 10+ year S2K battery is unbelievable! Awesome!
Old 03-20-17, 12:57 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have a pepboys bosh battery as well. 64 mo warranty one. urs lasted long. my battery died last year 2016 summer.
Old 03-20-17, 11:10 PM
Brad3275
Rookie

Went with the diehard agm and it has been great.
Old 03-21-17, 07:40 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Went with a $120 unit from Autozone last week with a 4yr warranty. It fit and the car starts. Does battery things, so no complaints. The first battery I've ever relaxed in a car actually. So either I don't keep cars long enough or the OE battery sucks
Old 03-21-17, 09:11 AM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kolyan
​​​​​​
​​​​​​all of my Toyota batteries have gone 5+ years then I sold the car; two of those went 10+ years. I think it's more climate than anything that'll ruin a batterys cells.
Old 03-21-17, 09:49 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by j3ff
​​​​​​
​​​​​​all of my Toyota batteries have gone 5+ years then I sold the car; two of those went 10+ years. I think it's more climate than anything that'll ruin a batterys cells.
That, along with how the battery is being drained/recharged. 10 years isn't uncommon for a battery cranking a 4cylinder motor and in a car with very few electronics (out dated), no factory immobilizers/factory anti theft systems, etc, like the s2000. Cars that are kept locked for long periods of time will have a slight drain on them as well....Even though the factory alarm drains very very little, with enough time without cranking the car, it's a steady slow drain. Quite simple....The more you use the battery, the shorter its life span....The less you use it, the longer the lifespan.
For those of you who don't drive the F much, or who store it over the winter, leave the cat unlocked, the battery will thank you (unless you keep it on a battery charger (float charge) or battery tender).
With the car locked, I've had my new battery struggle to crank the V8 after 3 weeks of sitting. Unlocked, I've went 6 weeks before not cranking it and it fires right up with ease. Weird, but true.

V.
Old 03-26-17, 09:37 AM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ssis300
Thought I'd share my experience and research with you guys, as I sifted through many threads on here as well as talking to my Service Advisors at both Lexus Dealerships here in town. First, I can say that for the original battery to last over 4 years in Southern state climate is pretty impressive. The car is electrically bone stock, so the battery doesn't have to stress any more than normal. That all being said, the things that I learned:
  1. Lexus ISFs ship from Japan with Panasonic batteries (which are not sold here in the US - at least not at my dealers, and I didn't press on this)
  2. My 2 dealerships source Interstate Batteries as the direct OEM replacement, due to "warranty and performance"
  3. The replacement out the door cost is about $220, which includes the battery, materials, labor, and tax. It comes with a full replacement 2-year warranty, and 50% on years 3-4, and 25% on years 5-6....as I was told.
  4. I DID NOT go with the dealership replacement option. Thanks to several postings here (and on various other review boards on the interwebs), I ended up going with the BOSCH Platinum Series AGM Battery from Pep Boys. This battery seemed to get great reviews and I was hard pressed to find any negativity associated with it, except for price ($190ish, but they're currently running a 25% off special....so save about $50 off that). The positives far outweighed that, being that the CCAs are about 100 more than the Interstate, and it comes with a 100% 4-year exchange warranty. I also looked at the Red Top and there were some bad experiences and reviews out there and I did not want to take any chances. The BOSCH battery is available here: https://www.pepboys.com/product/deta...05.0L%2520DOHC
  5. Ended up installing it yesterday with some buddies, and it's FANTASTIC. Now if I can only get my radio presets and settings back to where they all were!!
I hope this helps someone out there!
Thanks for the heads up on the deal. I have been planning on getting a Bosch blue top AGM for my F, and placing the F battery (which still load tests perfectly) in one of my spare vehicles (4 Runner battery is getting tired). Anyway, the deal is still good (MMJ30 code good for 30% off).
Old 07-11-18, 02:56 PM
ssis300
Pole Position

UPDATE: The Bosch AGM that I installed in my original post (in November of 2016) has succumbed to the Texas heat and I took it into Pep Boys on Sunday and got a free replacement. Note that the original price was $190, but Manny, Moe and Jack were running a special for 25% off which made it about $150. Here we are a couple of years later and they honored the discount on the replacement and my total was ZERO* (there was a $3 mandated charge for disposal). Anyhow, the new battery is in the car and everything is operating smoothly again (knocking on wood).

Drive safely, my friends!
Old 07-11-18, 04:51 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

^^^^My Bosch AGM that I installed on 9/28/2015 is still going strong. I've lived in both Texas, Victoria, and now Arizona, South of Phoenix, and mine is still going strong. Both places are hot, but I believe Phoenix is hotter than Victoria.

Lou
Old 01-06-19, 10:17 PM
FMYLIFE
Rookie

My Optima Red Top Group 25 died after four years and I was unable to recover it. I almost spent $232 on a replacement but decided to give the Bosch AGM a try.

$190 -$38 instant rebate - $40 mail in rebate at Pep Boys when ordered online and picked up in store seemed like too good a deal to pass up.

It weighs about 10 lbs more but carries a 4 year full replacement warranty. Some complaints online about pep boys not properly rotating their stock and selling two year old batteries but I did not have that issue. Check the battery label to be sure.

Otherwise, I'm pleased so far. I'll update as time goes but thanks to those who've already provided input.

Last edited by FMYLIFE; 01-07-19 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-06-19, 11:36 PM
goto35
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Bosch batteries are the best. They offer free jumpstart in the 4 years. I've actually used it and it's great.

Even put the Bosch in my aston Martin.

Quick Reply: 2012 Battery finally died (8/2012-11/2016, RIP) and this is what I learned/went with!