IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My ISF and K&N Intake Test Are On Super Street Website

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-16, 02:14 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jspecvtec
Who said headers and intake gets you 12whp? Rafi meant their rrr tuned intake gets 12whp over baseline F that already has headers and it's not possibly the KN cone makes 20whp alone
It's not possible because you have personal experience ? Because I have personal experience watching it happen. Or it's not possible because people selling their own product here say it isn't possible ? Dynos can have variables, I get it, tineslips at the track don't lie. Anyone here have just cold air intake install from anyone else running 12.56 @ 113 or faster ? I haven't been on here long enough to know. I am guessing by all the push back the answer is no. Believe me I am not here to be advisarial I am just now having to defend myself after going to the track and making some good runs and basically being called a liar or it isn't possible. Lol

Last edited by ISFSCOTT; 11-23-16 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-23-16, 02:17 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFSCOTT
You still skirted my question of why after the K&N mod and after making numerous runs before and after the mod to squeeze the best time out of it before and after I am .25 quicker after with no other variables at play and even adjusting the runs on the density altitude program I have. A 10 rwhp that you claim I should be getting at the most would not account for .25 at the track maybe a tenth at the most. I even went through the laborious task of having the same 93 octane gas, gas level, tire pressure, engine temp, and shift mode to recreate the same scenario. All runs on my worn out factory Bridgestones too. I am not talking bench racing on a dyno or datalogging, I am talking real world et's adjusted for altitude, temp, humidity, and barometric pressure. I care less what any dyno shows, as you say dynos have variables just as yours could, timeslips don't lie. When I go back next time I will be on new street that res which will allow me to footbrake the car to a higher rpm on launch which will get me a lower 60 ft and any time saved in the first 60ft doubles what you drop on the big end. So anothwe .05 saved is going to net me another .10 off my overall time. I'll also mix in some E85 and go down there without a full tank for a max effort run without any other mods.. I won't spend the money and minimal gains on headers or full exhaust. I am also going to wrap the air inlet pipe with heat deflecting material to keep IAT's down more. Maybe I'll play with closing in the cone filter more since we both agree the K&N design isn't great. My goal was to get the car to 12.6 with simple stuff and the already beat that with one mod so I am happy with it.
It's because you got more experience the 2nd back at track. Plus minimal gains on headers and exhaust? That's crazy talk...those 2 items give u the most available gains for isf (bolt on). Headers will give U at least 30whp and exhaust another 20whp. The intake is the one that actually gives u nothing but cool sound. It's been 8 plus years KN has been available. If it really does give u 18-20whp, everyone that has an ISF would be rocking it right now...but it's the total opposite in reality. Maybe because everyone is dumb?....
Old 11-23-16, 02:35 PM
TranV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does any one have the link to buy k&n intake? I need to get one now...really need those extra ponies. Btw I'm going to post my headers and exhaust for sale soon....thanks
Old 11-23-16, 02:50 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
If you look at the shear number of variables involved in taking your car down the drag strip vs. dynoing the car under stable data-logged conditions with adequate cooling, it would go by the dyno test any day.
I'm not getting involved in the intake debate. I don't care about it.

But I'm a firm believer in 1/4 mile runs > dyno testing. Using DA correction is a proven science. Even military/airline pilots use DA calculation. I've seen many instances of a dyno showing gains but the cars actually ran the same times, or worse. The 1/4 mile runs have to be done by someone who can run consistent times though. Someone who is good at drag racing can dial in their times within .1 secs. That's a car length of timed accuracy over a distance of 1/4 mile.

I'm not saying a dyno is worthless, but in my experience a 1/4 mile time is more reliable.
Old 11-23-16, 03:17 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Originally Posted by jspecvtec
It's because you got more experience the 2nd back at track. Plus minimal gains on headers and exhaust? That's crazy talk...those 2 items give u the most available gains for isf (bolt on). Headers will give U at least 30whp and exhaust another 20whp. The intake is the one that actually gives u nothing but cool sound. It's been 8 plus years KN has been available. If it really does give u 18-20whp, everyone that has an ISF would be rocking it right now...but it's the total opposite in reality. Maybe because everyone is dumb?....
,,Sorry but maybe it because I am new to this community but those aren't good enough gains for me for the money spent and Lexus telling me my warranty is gone. So the intake gives me nothing ? Then explain the dyno results and almost three tenths gain at the track ? Everyone is dumb ? Probably not, maybe several nieve ones. I see everyone backing each other up the K&N is worthless yet I have videos, timeslips, and dyno photos posted here and I am the crazy one with a mod that does nothing. I take it most on here don't go to the tack and just want to say their car makes xxx horsepower. That's fine, I'm cool
with that but I have proof of my results I'm not looking for a dyno queen.

And yes I probably have more experience at the track as I have been going there 25 years so do you guys want data logs and dyno sheet bragging rights or something I have shown works ? It's why I took this on when my brother asked me to do a test for him, so many were down on this kit when I read the same test I did by Motoq that got almost the same results a few years ago. That and the kit was free so if it didn't work off to eBay it would go.
Old 11-23-16, 03:19 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Originally Posted by TranV
Does any one have the link to buy k&n intake? I need to get one now...really need those extra ponies. Btw I'm going to post my headers and exhaust for sale soon....thanks

whats yours run at the track ? I am sure someone will buy them as they gives huge power gains. Lol
Old 11-23-16, 03:21 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Originally Posted by Davew77
I'm not getting involved in the intake debate. I don't care about it.

But I'm a firm believer in 1/4 mile runs > dyno testing. Using DA correction is a proven science. Even military/airline pilots use DA calculation. I've seen many instances of a dyno showing gains but the cars actually ran the same times, or worse. The 1/4 mile runs have to be done by someone who can run consistent times though. Someone who is good at drag racing can dial in their times within .1 secs. That's a car length of timed accuracy over a distance of 1/4 mile.

I'm not saying a dyno is worthless, but in my experience a 1/4 mile time is more reliable.

Holy crap the voice of reason ! Don't confuse some of them man ! I am the guy with nothing to sell here and I am the crazy one. What ever

Last edited by ISFSCOTT; 11-23-16 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-23-16, 03:36 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Maybe you're right. Are there any discounts on KN kits? I'm gonna sell my headers, exhaust and get it like TranV. I probably don't need them for the fast times you're putting down. Plus I'll have more cash than before to spend at the coffee shop
Old 11-23-16, 03:48 PM
DjMarkOne
Rookie

I'm just curious, but has either frank or rafi tried tuning specifically for the K&N intake? And if so, how were the results?
Old 11-23-16, 03:57 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Originally Posted by DjMarkOne
I'm just curious, but has either frank or rafi tried tuning specifically for the K&N intake? And if so, how were the results?
Hey a great non hater question ! I would like to know too.
Old 11-23-16, 04:25 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

I have read all 6 pages. Honestly, ISFSCOTT has tried and proved his point with valid proof. We shouldn't flame or redicule the op or each other for this. For a member who did tried and dyno plus proving his 1/4 mile time, I give much respect for his time and data. I am a firm believer in the stock intake design but for what the intake did, that is good news. It's OK to think around the box. Not everyone will agree but at least this has shown some positive results. Congrats to OP and keep the results coming.
Old 11-23-16, 04:36 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Originally Posted by idoke1
I have read all 6 pages. Honestly, ISFSCOTT has tried and proved his point with valid proof. We shouldn't flame or redicule the op or each other for this. For a member who did tried and dyno plus proving his 1/4 mile time, I give much respect for his time and data. I am a firm believer in the stock intake design but for what the intake did, that is good news. It's OK to think around the box. Not everyone will agree but at least this has shown some positive results. Congrats to OP and keep the results coming.
Thanks man greatly appreciated. I would not have posted a thing here if I did not do my due diligence before. I somehow knew in advance though that this was a sticky topic here for what ever reason so that's why I went through the steps like I did. And as I have said a few times already I would have been the first to trash this kit if it didn't do anything.
Old 11-23-16, 04:42 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

IDOKE - I would agree with you if the Density Altitude corrections made sense. However they don't. DA on his baseline was around 1700 feet. DA with K&N was somewhere between 100 and 400 depending on actual time of the run. That difference in air Is 2.5 to 3 tenths. Corrected times and speed are almost identical meaning the intake made zero gain. Ignoring that fact is a serious oversight. I know OP said he used corrections but the math doesn't work based on the actual conditions during those runs.
Old 11-23-16, 05:31 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TranV
Pass up on that Supercharger too. That K&N will be all you need.
Old 11-23-16, 05:33 PM
TranV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISFSCOTT
whats yours run at the track ? I am sure someone will buy them as they gives huge power gains. Lol
I don't have any experience at the track at all...but I'm willing to listen to someone who has 25 yr of experience though...of course they will sell, its proven on this forum! Those are hot items...

Quick Reply: My ISF and K&N Intake Test Are On Super Street Website