IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Will the ISF run well with a blend of e85?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-18, 05:37 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vervish
Bumping this up, although this may be old news. I occasionally run an E85 mix with good (butt dyno) results, but I never had a way to easily check my KCLV because I could never get my bootleg techstream to work.

I just came across an app (via Facebook group member) that allows you to read KCLV - It is called "OBD Fusion". You will need need the app ($10), a wifi enabled obd-2 reader (~$20-30) and you will need to make an in-app purchase to download the expanded Toyota/lexus PIDs. (~$20). I tested it in my garage and I could now see my KCLV (currently at 18 - ) as well as the rest of the PIDs typically available on other apps.

I am currently on pump gas - I plan to add 3 gallons of E85 this weekend and monitor the KCLV - hopefully to get it into the 20s.
So I have a GoPoint Bluetooth OBD-II connection already. I tried using it with the OBD Fusion app I purchased. I changed my settings>preferences>communication to Bluetooth but I’m still having trouble connecting my vehicle to the app with the OBD adapter connected via BT. Any suggestions? I know it says BT LE but I can’t seem to find if the GoPoint adapter is BT LE. It’s fairly new and works fine with the Dash Command app.
Old 04-05-18, 06:14 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Thanks for the tip! I have had the OBDLink tool and software (which looks exactly like the screenshots) for about a year now. Never knew you could purchase the enhanced diagnostics - so THANKS! Have been using techstream for a year but this app is much easier. I did the in-app purchase and they didn't show up at first. I had to connect and the re-select my car for it to search for supported enhanced PIDs. Works like a charm now...KCLV of 20.8 which is about what I have run in the past using techstream.
Old 04-05-18, 06:42 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lexicon72
Thanks for the tip! I have had the OBDLink tool and software (which looks exactly like the screenshots) for about a year now. Never knew you could purchase the enhanced diagnostics - so THANKS! Have been using techstream for a year but this app is much easier. I did the in-app purchase and they didn't show up at first. I had to connect and the re-select my car for it to search for supported enhanced PIDs. Works like a charm now...KCLV of 20.8 which is about what I have run in the past using techstream.

Did you turn on your car to get the 20.8? The picture also shows 20.8 and I also got a 20.8 but I didn't turn on my car so I thought that was kind of a default number.
Old 04-05-18, 06:56 PM
Raven97990
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The real comedy here is I usually buy gas at Kroger or RaceTrac or QT. I hardly ever buy Tier 1 fuels. I used to have a Shell credit card that gave me discount on Shell, so I ran it almost all the time, but my friends at Citibank ended that when my ex let a hospital bill (that I didn't know about) go delinquent and it went to collections without my knowledge. Now I will never do business with Citibank no matter what they offer, and Shell is no longer on my preferred vendor list.
QT gas, or if I am doing the E85 blend there is a BP that has the highest ethanol content that we run in the GT-Rs that I'll go ahead and fill up at. Main trick is dont fill up when the big truck is there. Otherwise you're pretty good to go.
Old 04-05-18, 07:51 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by jat0223
Did you turn on your car to get the 20.8? The picture also shows 20.8 and I also got a 20.8 but I didn't turn on my car so I thought that was kind of a default number.
DIdn't turn the car on so you may be right that it could just be a default value. Checked my old datalogs from last summer and was running 20.1 - 20.3 (FBO+tune).
Old 04-06-18, 03:30 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigjon3475

So I have a GoPoint Bluetooth OBD-II connection already. I tried using it with the OBD Fusion app I purchased. I changed my settings>preferences>communication to Bluetooth but I’m still having trouble connecting my vehicle to the app with the OBD adapter connected via BT. Any suggestions? I know it says BT LE but I can’t seem to find if the GoPoint adapter is BT LE. It’s fairly new and works fine with the Dash Command app.
I am using a WiFi eneabled obd-2 plug. Not sure how to make Bluetooth work.
Old 04-06-18, 01:23 PM
viprez586
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 59 Posts

I posted the screenshots in the Facebook group.

Everyone will be disappointed in they're learned knock values upon start up.
lol
Go cruise and get intake temps as low as possible .

I suggest the freeway.
Do a series of 6th gear and 8th gear WOT pulls .
watch your knock value increase .
I'm at 24.5 right now. 93/e85 resulting in a actual E25 blend via zeitronix ethanol content analyzer(did to come)

As for random PIDs like engine oil temperature and alcohol percentage, they are generic and not specific to our ECM.
Once selected they will dissappear all together.
The following users liked this post:
Vervish (04-06-18)
Old 04-06-18, 05:20 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Most owner's manual say prolonged use of E85 type fuel is not recommended. Small engines used in power equipment like chain saw, snow blower, lawn mower, etc.
don't ; like it. DI engines need some special care to prolong the engine life. Use top tier fuel, engine oil, That's what I do for all my family vehicles. Shell premium gas,
OEM engine oil, always make sure PCV is working normal. Carbon build up is a real concern specially if one wants to keep a vehicle long term..
Old 04-06-18, 09:07 PM
viprez586
Intermediate

Our fuel system is not composed of the older inferior rubber that would deteriorate with ethanol usage. In fact, the ELF issued recall was specifically about the only corrosive component made from the factory on the ISF. Aluminum corrodes with e85, they were replaced with high quality stainless-steel fuel rails.

So originally, yes - E85 was not ideal for older model year cars thus resulting in a lot of "bad-rap". Now everyone seems to be jumping on e85, especially with more refueling stations offering 87(E10) , 88(E15), 93(E10) and E85 all at the same "pump".

The major deterrent that comes from E85 now is the fact it's not closely regulated. You can get E51 to E85 straight from the pump. Thus a Ethanol content analyzer is vital.

Last edited by viprez586; 04-06-18 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-07-18, 06:43 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Let me give you the results of my blending of E85 prior I had used gumout all in one fuel system cleaner with PEA for three consecutive full tanks in row. Ran the tank down to empty first, then pour in gumout fuel system cleaner first than filled up fuel tank. Did this three times in a row. Did few wide open throttle runs by the end of the First full tank noticeably lighter color with the typical puff of smoke by the third bottle at wide open throttle I was no longer seeing any smoke whatsoever so the stuff seems to have helped delete some of the carbon buildup. Then installed RR Racing's AOS two weeks ago. I already had a Bluetooth OBD reader installed in a car so I purchased the OBD Fusion app for $3.99 then did an in-app purchase of the Toyota / Lexus PIDS for $9.99. Installed everything got everything communicating properly look through the PIDS found the knock correction learning values OR KCLV installed it as one of my widgets added 3.5 gallons to zero gallons of gas I was probably on actually one gallon not too because when I hit the 0 I still had to go nearly another mile to get to the gas station send topped off with 93 octane. Did 4 8th gear pulls and 4 6th gear pulls. here were my results. I still have a can of CRC Vakue and turbo cleaner that I'm going to use as well, just never got around to using it we'll give it a shot see if it helps and bring up those numbers in the meantime I still need to do a couple of more polls so also get those numbers up.

Last edited by Weapon F; 04-07-18 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-10-18, 07:34 AM
viprez586
Intermediate

Get your intake temp down! 127 is way too high. But I'm assuming you screenshotted this while idling after your wot pulls?
Old 04-10-18, 08:54 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by viprez586
Get your intake temp down! 127 is way too high. But I'm assuming you screenshotted this while idling after your wot pulls?
Exactly had just come off the highway pulled into a parking lot took a screenshot. Proves that the app works once you've purchased the PIDS's for Toyota Lexus. Also that fact I'm at 22.6 KCLV on my very first WOT learning passes I'm happy with that. Goal is to try to get it as close to 24 as possible
Old 04-10-18, 07:44 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

I installed the app and pids today. I'm at 21.3 kclv. I have been mixing e85 and 93 octane. I haven't done any high gear pulls and I'm pretty sure I have a cracked header or bad exhaust leak lol. Much more convenient this way than techstream. The only thing that I'm concerned about, is that techstream has an over 3k rpm kclv. I'm curious if this calculates that. I'm going to do a comparison soon.
Old 04-10-18, 08:28 PM
njoyRice
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker4096
I installed the app and pids today. I'm at 21.3 kclv. I have been mixing e85 and 93 octane. I haven't done any high gear pulls and I'm pretty sure I have a cracked header or bad exhaust leak lol. Much more convenient this way than techstream. The only thing that I'm concerned about, is that techstream has an over 3k rpm kclv. I'm curious if this calculates that. I'm going to do a comparison soon.
Yes it does show both under/over 3K RPM KCLV. My techstream showed 23.9 (<3K) and 26.7 (>3K). Tried the app the next day and it showed 24.1 (<3K) and 26.6 (>3K).
Old 04-10-18, 08:55 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by njoyRice
Yes it does show both under/over 3K RPM KCLV. My techstream showed 23.9 (<3K) and 26.7 (>3K). Tried the app the next day and it showed 24.1 (<3K) and 26.6 (>3K).
So it will switch when you go over 3k? I didn't get to check today since it was pouring rain all evening.

Quick Reply: Will the ISF run well with a blend of e85?