IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS F as your daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-16, 11:05 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 77 Posts

Since taking ownership of my F back in 2011, it's been used as my daily driver/commuter going 50 miles round trip M-F, sitting in stop in go traffic in one of the worst freeways in the SF bay area. No regrets what so ever... I change the oil, replace the brakes and tires, and keep driving. I love that I have power and stopping capabilities to get around cars and traffic...and getting on the freeway is the best part
Old 10-13-16, 11:55 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^^ yup. I was in SF last month and streets are bad. I'm in the mission district then went over to the GG bridge. I did see an F parked on the street, black I think It was, yours?
Old 10-13-16, 12:02 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I do NOT DD mine as I have 3 vehicles and a company vehicle which I drive as a DD.

But when I do take my F out she puts a smile on my face every time.
Old 10-13-16, 12:11 PM
flawless
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only regret you might have is unwanted attention from the law when you're putting the power to good use. I'm constantly on the throttle in my F, more so than other vehicles just because its so damn addicting.
Old 10-13-16, 12:32 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Originally Posted by mindcrime
^^^^ yup. I was in SF last month and streets are bad. I'm in the mission district then went over to the GG bridge. I did see an F parked on the street, black I think It was, yours?
Wasn't me... my F is white, and I do the commute from Fremont/Oakland everyday on 880...sharing the roads with semi trucks. Already have gone through 4 windshields on my car.
Old 10-13-16, 04:02 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GAISF
Coming closer and closer to pulling the trigger on an IS F. I work from home 3 days a week. Commute 20 miles each way the other days in atlanta traffic. Are you using your IS F as your daily driver? Any regrets if you are? This would be my only car.
Yes. I'm in a similar situation. I use my car for all sorts of crap most people wouldn't. Brought home 10 gallons of paint today. Here's my suggestions and take it for what it's worth... Just an opinion.

If you're going to use it to get stuff from the hardware store or groceries or whatever I decided to remove my spare tire and all the hardware. I put a couple of towels back there that can be abused and I feel pretty confident I'm not doing any damage and I'm careful driving. If you're concerned about getting stuck on the side of the road this obviously isn't an option.

If you get an exhaust make sure it's not too loud for daily use. I got a loud one and I'm about to see about muffler options. It sounds amazing but is just too much for DD.

Figure out a way immediately to keep your car from getting too warm on the inside. Purchase a decent sun shade and when possible leave the sunroof or windows or both cracked. The interior panels starts to go liquidious at a fairly low temperature and will damage easily.

Purchase the form fitted "guard" type floor mats. I bought Weathertech models and it was an amazing investment.

If you have a dog don't fret. Get you a backseat dog hammock that attaches to the F&R seats and is made of a thick material. I got one by Emanuele Bianchi Design and it was the second best investment. I take my dog with me on trips and it's awesome.

Other than those things just keep it clean and protected and you'll fall in love with it.

P.S. Everything is fairly expensive on the cars so if you're not mechanically inclined you may want to think about a warranty of sorts. Also, install a dash cam as soon as possible.

Last edited by Bigjon3475; 10-13-16 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-13-16, 04:45 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mindcrime
I dd in SF and it sucks.. We have one of the highest budgets, and I still see human sh-t everywhere and spend my commutes dodging potholes. The suspension needs smooth roads and I wish I could change the dampening (on the fly) like all my past cars. Otherwise, this thing gets a 10/10 for reliability if that was OPs concern.. Everything else I had 400hp+ loved getting repairs.

I'd also invest in a clear bra (front and back bumper)... I've had multiple hit and runs in this city.
Old 10-13-16, 06:00 PM
MM09ISF
Driver School Candidate

I put around 150-200 miles a day which is about 1000 miles a week and nothing wrong with my car! Daily Driven and redlined everyday. I bought my car with 30K miles back in december and i already have 70K miles on it as of today! No problems whatsoever except oil changes and tires
Old 10-13-16, 06:17 PM
YotaLex
Driver

Originally Posted by GAISF
Coming closer and closer to pulling the trigger on an IS F. I work from home 3 days a week. Commute 20 miles each way the other days in atlanta traffic. Are you using your IS F as your daily driver? Any regrets if you are? This would be my only car.
I DD'd mine for 2 years. Gas tank and gas pumps suck. Rock chips on the front bumper. Other than that its an awesome daily ride. My 08 suspension gets annoying but its not that bad.
Old 10-13-16, 06:30 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Originally Posted by YotaLex
I DD'd mine for 2 years. Gas tank and gas pumps suck. Rock chips on the front bumper. Other than that its an awesome daily ride. My 08 suspension gets annoying but its not that bad.
My front bumper is beat to *****...rock chips galore. I didn't realize how harsh the stock 08 suspension was until I upgraded to BC 16k/12k coilover set up with Figs dampening recommendation. The car rides completely different for daily driving, much smoother!!! I think I'm at 140k miles now and started commuting at 75k
Old 10-13-16, 07:09 PM
InfamousF
Driver School Candidate

What's up with the small gas tank. I only get about 400km a tank. I daily mine also, only had it for a 4 months but gas is actually better in the F than my old 335i.
Old 10-14-16, 03:40 AM
DrRMHISF
Driver School Candidate

Yup, my ISF is a daily driver for me. Currently doing 65miles a day between Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Old 10-14-16, 11:10 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Not DD, it's a garage queen. Bought it new in 2013, 24,000 miles now, car never skips a beat.

I do try to drive it at least once a week if not 2 weeks. No regrets.
Old 10-14-16, 12:34 PM
1987yota
Driver School Candidate

I use mine as my DD as well, I do 40 miles round trip plus all the extra driving around I do for work! I get about 20 mpg average and for a big v8 I can't complain! Hope you get one to get another one in the Atlanta area soon!
Old 10-14-16, 06:28 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

ISF's are great and fun DD (at least in the SE).

Quick Reply: IS F as your daily driver?