IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Yet another ISF to GTR thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-16, 11:42 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin727
I'll find the specs on them. It's been so long since I've spec'd the car out and tried to look at why things cost the way they do (I did this the first year it came out)

The pads MSRP @ 599.20
Rotors MSRP @ 1096.18 ea

It was our Master Techs personal GTR so no labor was involved all $ was in parts and they were given at employee rate hence the just under $2400.

But our labor rate for GTR Front brake job only is right about $450.00
Holy sh!$%...........$1096 per rotor?? Wow! For that price I'd thought they'd be carbon ceramic?
Old 10-21-16, 11:50 AM
Fuzzyoner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More downshifting
Less braking
Old 10-21-16, 12:03 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Holy sh!$%...........$1096 per rotor?? Wow! For that price I'd thought they'd be carbon ceramic?

They are CC.

Yes the cost of maintenance on these vehicles is not cheap. But if you can afford a 100k sports car then it's not an issue.

I'm just sitting back in the shadows watching these vehicles and well they hold up to time and abuse.
Old 10-21-16, 01:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I would love something faster but I need my back seats . Frustrating .
Old 10-21-16, 03:32 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

They are CC.

Yes the cost of maintenance on these vehicles is not cheap. But if you can afford a 100k sports car then it's not an issue.

I'm just sitting back in the shadows watching these vehicles and well they hold up to time and abuse.
Ok, well then that makes more sense, I thought the GTR's came with iron rotors, didn't know CCR were available for the GTR
Old 10-21-16, 07:27 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I priced out a full break job front and rear pads and rotors from the dealership and it was about six grand. You can save so much money with maintenance on this car by going after market. With aftermarket pads and rotors a complete brake job front and rear is about half or a little less than what it cost from the dealer. I also priced out changing all the fluids in the car for instance changing the transmission fluid, differential fluid, oil and filter and coolant, and from the dealer it was over two grand. I just had it done at a reputable performance shop and they used all motul fluids where they could and it was half of what the dealers wanted. Moral of the story is that by doing a little research and going with aftermarket fluids and or parts you can save a lot of money and in many cases get a better product. FYI-Seems like snow tires as well as Michelin pilot super sport replacements are all in the neighborhood of two grand for a set of four.
I ended up spending about an hour and a half in traffic driving to my Friday night basketball league and it seems like no matter how I drive and whether it's on the street or highway I seem to average around 15 miles per gallon...not to great but I wasn't expecting it to be very good.
had a kind of funny story happen when I went over one of my customers houses to fill out paperwork for a water heater rebate. I pulled in the driveway and he looked at me and said what kind of car is that? I said it's a Nissan and then he followed with "but what model I've never seen it before". I told him it was a GTR and he said that he really likes sports cars but his wife hates when he buys sports cars. He proceeded to bring me over to the garage to show me the car that his wife disliked because it was too sporty.....it was a used Volkswagen Passat...lol
Old 10-21-16, 07:33 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

For those of you who think they may be interested in a GTR in the near future this page was very helpful for me.

http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/...n-gtr-r35-faq/
Old 10-22-16, 12:18 AM
DjMarkOne
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp1
it was a used Volkswagen Passat...lol
Well maybe if it was a real sports car, then she might be a bit more supportive of him! Lol
Old 10-22-16, 06:57 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Congrats. GTR is a lot more money to modify. A LOT MORE. i can't stress that enough. $2400 JDM nismo cluster, $4300 for 2015 front and rear tail lights thats on sale from vendors, minimum of 1600 for brake rotors and mediocre pads. It's a whole diff ballpark compared to the IS-F. Honestly the IS-F, upkeep is so cheap. And things don't ever break. thats why it seems so drastic when going from the IS-F to the GTR. If you went from a bmw to a GTR, you would be use these things

I just priced a GTR for myself again, i feel like its finally time to get one (what i wanted originally before the IS-F) but reality of me not having enough time to even take the car to the shop for some of these maintenance things or having something break is a serious issue for me at this point of my life.
Old 10-23-16, 09:18 AM
flawless
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GTR is a force to be reckoned with. I'm wondering if they will hit an accelerated price curve in the marketplace like the Ford GT?
Old 10-28-16, 04:13 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Took my car to a Nissan dealership to get an inspection sticker this afternoon. The gtr tech pulled my car up and I was ready to pay the $55. The service advisor says to me " can I speak to you in my office for a second?" That's never a good thing.... He proceeds to tell me that the gtr tech scratched up the lip driving my car around. I understand accidents happen but why can't people just be careful and do their job right? Now I have to reschedule my appointment in CT on Monday to have the car coated with expel and ceramic pro. Not a huge deal but just frustrated and wanted to vent a little
Attached Thumbnails Yet another ISF to GTR thread-image.jpeg  
Old 10-29-16, 08:26 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp1
Took my car to a Nissan dealership to get an inspection sticker this afternoon. The gtr tech pulled my car up and I was ready to pay the $55. The service advisor says to me " can I speak to you in my office for a second?" That's never a good thing.... He proceeds to tell me that the gtr tech scratched up the lip driving my car around. I understand accidents happen but why can't people just be careful and do their job right? Now I have to reschedule my appointment in CT on Monday to have the car coated with expel and ceramic pro. Not a huge deal but just frustrated and wanted to vent a little

At least they are making it right. Some dealerships do the "let's see if he/she notices." Once it's off the lot it's not our fault.
Old 10-29-16, 07:19 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

At least they are making it right. Some dealerships do the "let's see if he/she notices." Once it's off the lot it's not our fault.
Very true. They were really good about it, and I didn't have to pay for my inspection sticker. On a side note it really pays to belong to various Facebook groups as well as car forums. Got a smokin deal on brakes from a r35/ owner of speed by design group. Dba rotors and stop tech pads are in the 2-2500 range but got the whole front and rear package for $1399 shipped! Don't need brakes yet but couldn't pass up the deal! Rotors are huge!
Attached Thumbnails Yet another ISF to GTR thread-image.jpeg  

Last edited by chrisp1; 10-29-16 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-05-16, 01:23 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Ended up using launch control for the first time last night and it was pretty amazing! I know there are videos online that anybody can watch but I just figured I would share since I took a crappy cell phone video- quick 0-75 run. This car continues to amaze me every time I drive it. One thing I will miss for sure is being able to light up the rear tires

Last edited by chrisp1; 11-06-16 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-05-16, 08:19 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

^^^^^Just goes to your Facebook front page?? Can't see any videos when I clicked it wanted me to log in? BTW I don't have Facebook..... anyway I can still view it?

Quick Reply: Yet another ISF to GTR thread