IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

RC-F Differential into IS-F?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-18, 08:31 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by viprez586
You would think so, but Rafi didn't seem to indulge much on that idea in my correspondence with him.
If you're talking about the TVD then I doubt there's any way an ISF will EVER be able to control that unit the way the RCF/GSF does... if not then what exactly do you mean tune. The LSD shouldn't require anything 'tune' related.
Old 04-17-18, 08:56 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidtek
If you're talking about the TVD then I doubt there's any way an ISF will EVER be able to control that unit the way the RCF/GSF does... if not then what exactly do you mean tune. The LSD shouldn't require anything 'tune' related.
I think he might have been referring to the earlier post about wondering if the higher compression of an RCF motor would be handled by an ISF ECU
The following 2 users liked this post by jdmSW20:
RJMacReady (03-25-23), viprez586 (04-18-18)
Old 04-18-18, 12:18 PM
samjones
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Any luck with this??
Old 04-18-18, 12:50 PM
viprez586
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidtek
Definitely not, not my first rodeo here.

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
I think he might have been referring to the earlier post about wondering if the higher compression of an RCF motor would be handled by an ISF ECU
Yup.

I'm tempted to do an RCF non-TVD swap but I wonder if it's the same LSD in the newer ISFs. Also with traction being our only downfall on this car, an aftermarket unit would best suit putting real power to the ground IMO.
If the rear cover swaps over and it's a bolt-in affair, that becomes much more attractive for the ease of a simple swap and go.
If you have to swap carrier units, the labor itself is worthy of an aftermarket LSD considering it requires proper shimming and backlash adjustment of the pinion gear to last properly. Which for most people, is also an added cost at a driveline shop.
Old 04-18-18, 01:46 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^^^

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...on-thread.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...eted-pics.html

Lou
Old 04-18-18, 01:55 PM
viprez586
Intermediate

This is interesting from that thread.
Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I forgot to mention one important thing - as others have said, replacing the OEM spool with the OS Giken did not change the gear tooth pattern or the backlash. Mine was right in the middle of the spec at 0.004", and the tooth engagement was racer perfect - slightly biased toward the toe end. I could not have been happier we did not need to order snap rings or pinion washers and replace parts until it was good.
I would have to think he got lucky. Every pinion and ring is different. I'd highly reccomend anyone who does a carrier swap to get they're pinion depth and backlash checked if you have to do a swap that requires "opening up the guts".

Also, a good point in that thread is pressing out the OE bushings for a figs replacement. It all adds up, but totally worth it.
Old 04-18-18, 05:49 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by viprez586
I'm tempted to do an RCF non-TVD swap but I wonder if it's the same LSD in the newer ISFs.
The RC F/GS F/IS350 Torsen T2 is the same as the 2010-2014 IS F Torsen.

Jeff
Old 04-18-18, 05:53 PM
viprez586
Intermediate

What year IS350s?
If the ring gear is the same size, that opens up a new swap candidate that's potentially more cost effective .
Old 04-18-18, 08:22 PM
GymRat86
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

It is done ladies and gentlemen... the RC-F pumpkin is identical...I bolted my isf rear diff cover right up to the LSD RC-F differential and bolted straight in the car..took about 2hrs total...its late here so I'll post some pics tomorrow if the install

Factory isf open diff coming out

RC-F lsd Diff with isf rear cover attached and old RC-F cover next to it!!

Last edited by GymRat86; 04-19-18 at 04:25 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by GymRat86:
Bajanguy1 (04-19-18), FNSSESPORT (04-19-18), liquidtek (04-19-18), RJMacReady (11-30-22)
Old 04-19-18, 05:21 AM
samjones
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow that easy? All working as it should? Thank you for this 🙏🙏👍👍
Old 04-19-18, 08:41 AM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for doing this. This could be a game-changer for a lot of 2008 owners.
-R
Old 04-19-18, 11:51 AM
GymRat86
Rookie

If you do do this.. REMEMBER a T60 Torqs bit for rear 3 mount bolts

Yes it was super easy...hardest part of the whole process was getting my damn borla exhaust off and then putting it back on...

the car is driving just like normal, except it gets side ways really easy, but the traction control is doing some dumb ****...I'll turn in off and have sport mode and manual mode and first gear lights up both tires then it kicks traction control back on and the car stops spinning and bogs down..same thing if I turn it off stomp it as soon as I change to second gear it puts traction control back on... so I'm going to have to figure that **** out... I know the new update to the ECU, you can't 100% throttle and hit the brakes it kills the engine in a safety feature lexus added from stock gas pedals. But this bish will pull a 180 on a two lane road like a boss now🤪🤪🤪😎😎😎
Old 04-19-18, 12:24 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by GymRat86
If you do do this.. REMEMBER a T60 Torqs bit for rear 3 mount bolts

Yes it was super easy...hardest part of the whole process was getting my damn borla exhaust off and then putting it back on...

the car is driving just like normal, except it gets side ways really easy, but the traction control is doing some dumb ****...I'll turn in off and have sport mode and manual mode and first gear lights up both tires then it kicks traction control back on and the car stops spinning and bogs down..same thing if I turn it off stomp it as soon as I change to second gear it puts traction control back on... so I'm going to have to figure that **** out... I know the new update to the ECU, you can't 100% throttle and hit the brakes it kills the engine in a safety feature lexus added from stock gas pedals. But this bish will pull a 180 on a two lane road like a boss now🤪🤪🤪😎😎😎
Are you actually doing the long press to disable TC?
The following users liked this post:
RJMacReady (03-25-23)
Old 04-19-18, 01:23 PM
GymRat86
Rookie

Ok..so you have to long press button while car is in park to disable VSC and traction control

Long pressed the traction control button with car in park... these lights came on...lol got it
Old 04-19-18, 07:33 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

It's amazing the difference when you do that. Kudos on this project btw.

Quick Reply: RC-F Differential into IS-F?