RC-F Differential into IS-F?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-16, 07:58 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Max16
ATS Carbon is even cheaper than OS Giken,
I'm running one since 4k miles and super happy with it.
It's the maintenance a bit much for a street car? I think you have to frequently change the diff fluid, where as the Torsen and OS Giken LSD's don't require as much maintenance.
Old 10-01-16, 05:40 AM
Max16
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman16
It's the maintenance a bit much for a street car? I think you have to frequently change the diff fluid, where as the Torsen and OS Giken LSD's don't require as much maintenance.
Diff fluid must be changed around 3k miles. But it all depends how hard you drive it. I do lots of highway so I extend it a bit. Diff capacity is not much either and I run amsoil in it.
I paid around 1000$ vs over 2500$ for the OS. Doesn't justify the 1500$ difference for just oil changes.
As for the torsen, you can't compare them performance wise. There is a bit more chattering in a clutch type but the feeling is addictive.
Old 10-02-16, 02:28 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Max16
I paid around 1000$ vs over 2500$ for the OS. Doesn't justify the 1500$ difference for just oil changes.
IIRK, the ATS Carbon LSD will also require multiple rebuild kits throughout the life of the differential. The cost of the kit plus the overhauls will add to the overall ownership cost of the unit. The OS Giken only requires interval fluid changes every 30k and no rebuilds.

I can't speak for the performance capabilities of the ATS Carbon LSD but in regards to the OS Giken differential, both the IS350 and IS-F are among the lucky few models which sport the full set of 28 clutch plates inside the LSD as well as the 3rd generation TCD clutch plates which allow for an even more progressive lock-up compared to the original Super Lock LSD. Much like a Torque Vectoring differential, the OS Giken TCD will literally pull you through every corner using the rear outer wheel and drastically changes how you would normally approach your driving line. As others have quoted on the internet: “The OS Giken is a cheat code. Absolutely unreal what you can do with a rear end with it”.

​​​

Last edited by redspencer; 10-10-16 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-09-16, 10:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I can now say I've driven the 2011 Torsen and the OS Giken back to back, and the Giken is significantly better. If I keep my Supra, I will put a Giken LSD in it, it really is that much better.
Old 10-10-16, 09:53 AM
Jerry_Supra
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I can now say I've driven the 2011 Torsen and the OS Giken back to back, and the Giken is significantly better. If I keep my Supra, I will put a Giken LSD in it, it really is that much better.
I have to agree with Lance. After driving the Giken it IS BETTER. It's really hard to describe but imagine an invisible force rotating your car around a corner with confidence and without oversteer.
Old 10-10-16, 10:27 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Most torsens I've driven have behaved mostly the same. Predictable.

Clutch LSDs vary quite a lot. Some are pretty tame. Others are very harsh in their engagement.

For a street car, torsen is almost always my favorite. Viscous diffs do alright for mud and snow. A properly tuned clutch diff is probably best for the track.
Old 10-10-16, 11:34 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
can I buy your supra?
Old 10-11-16, 12:22 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

As was said, the IS F and RC F use the same Torsen differential unit. The case however is very different, as is the pinion flange that bolts to the driveshaft. If you got an RC F differential and disassembled it, the internals could be swapped into an IS F unit, but the entire pumpkin will not be usable in an IS F.

Again it depends what your goals are here, as for some people (like myself), a Torsen may be the way to go as I find it predictable and good for daily use. If you are looking for some track action, I would say get something like the OS Giken. It's a fantastic differential.

Jeff
Old 10-12-16, 04:25 AM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Jeff, I'm coming up with the same part number for the pinion flange. Could you elaborate on the info you have?
Old 10-12-16, 11:45 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

They do actually appear to be the same pinion flange (41204-30040), however they have very different diagrams in the parts catalog for some reason. Not sure how I missed that.

It seems possible that the RC F differential may in fact fit the IS F. There are some different part numbers for the assembly and others, but it may end up being a "you have to try it to see if it works" type of situation...

Jeff
Old 10-13-16, 04:26 AM
Jowett
Pit Crew

That is what I found, too, with the fiche showing the wrong picture. The RC F diff appears quite similar to the IS F... As in the same mounting points could possibly be shared.
Old 10-13-16, 12:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

With the RC F's completely different rear subframe, it's anyone's guess if it is a bolt in fit or not. The 2IS and 3GS all share the same rear subframe, so it is pretty likely you could bolt in any diff from any of those cars from a physical fitment perspective. It would really be nice to know if they kept the same dimensions on the 3IS and RC models.
Old 10-14-16, 04:26 AM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Well, let's find out. One RC F diff on the way.
Old 10-14-16, 01:58 PM
willstroo
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jowett
Well, let's find out. One RC F diff on the way.
Woahhhhh thats an expensive experiment!
Old 10-15-16, 07:41 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

^^ It is indeed but I'm in for the info and if it fits and operates well, it's going to be my next to do mod.

Quick Reply: RC-F Differential into IS-F?