ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS F (2008-2014) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014-200/)
-   -   Oil full mark& battery voltage gauge (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/835089-oil-full-mark-and-battery-voltage-gauge.html)

Bigjon3475 09-25-16 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by SoulFreak (Post 9630264)
For the members that put exactly 9.8 quarts. What tool? if any, do you utilize to accurately measure the .8 of oil?

I buy 5 qt oil containers from Pennzoil. Granted I haven't changed my oil but three times and only twice myself. There's always a decent amount of oil left over from the 10 qts I purchased. I stop adding when the oil hits the full mark on the dipstick. A brand new motor that's never had any oil in it typically will hold on to .1 to .25 qts of oil that coats everything even when there's only drops coming out of the drain hole and the oil was at running temperature when it's removed.

I don't know the answer as to why some put 10 qts and others less... FWIW I have a 2011... Shouldn't matter though, right?

So to answer your question I use the dipstick since it factors out any other possible variations due to drainage time, temp, etc.

lobuxracer 09-25-16 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bigjon3475 (Post 9630313)
I buy 5 qt oil containers from Pennzoil. Granted I haven't changed my oil but three times and only twice myself. There's always a decent amount of oil left over from the 10 qts I purchased. I stop adding when the oil hits the full mark on the dipstick. A brand new motor that's never had any oil in it typically will hold on to .1 to .25 qts of oil that coats everything even when there's only drops coming out of the drain hole and the oil was at running temperature when it's removed.

I don't know the answer as to why some put 10 qts and others less... FWIW I have a 2011... Shouldn't matter though, right?

So to answer your question I use the dipstick since it factors out any other possible variations due to drainage time, temp, etc.

I do exactly the same, and never use all 10 quarts. There's a little (only a little) left over when I am at the full mark on the dipstick. I am also inclined to check it when ice cold and fill to full knowing it will be a little low in service because a little low is better (much better) than a little high. Way back in the early 90's everyone who had a decent budget ran their CBR600s half a quart low because it was worth 4 hp. The crank webs splashing in oil does really bad things for power and for bearings.

MileHIFcar 09-25-16 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by lobuxracer (Post 9630496)
I do exactly the same, and never use all 10 quarts. There's a little (only a little) left over when I am at the full mark on the dipstick. I am also inclined to check it when ice cold and fill to full knowing it will be a little low in service because a little low is better (much better) than a little high. Way back in the early 90's everyone who had a decent budget ran their CBR600s half a quart low because it was worth 4 hp. The crank webs splashing in oil does really bad things for power and for bearings.

^^^^^^^Sounds like what I was doing seems to be correct 9qts and I'm always at the full mark, there might be about a 1/2 qt remaining in the engine who knows?? All I know is I don't lose oil and my dip stick always stays at the full mark:thumbup:

SoulFreak 09-26-16 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by mikersoft (Post 9630281)
When I was using Mobil 1, I used the markings on the side of the bottle/jug as a guide. Redline doesn't have those, so now I just "eyeball" it (err on the low side), then check it afterwards & top off if needed.

-Mike

Okay, thanks Mike! Looking good out there! Keep the videos coming!

SoulFreak 09-26-16 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bigjon3475 (Post 9630313)

I have a 2011 myself as well. It shouldn't matter. Thanks for the insight.

SoulFreak 09-26-16 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar (Post 9630515)
^^^^^^^Sounds like what I was doing seems to be correct 9qts and I'm always at the full mark, there might be about a 1/2 qt remaining in the engine who knows?? All I know is I don't lose oil and my dip stick always stays at the full mark:thumbup:

The same here, but right before the end of my interval I would burn off some of that oil. Or so I was told by the tech, It's frustrating. I've already had the technician check for leaks and he's found none. But I'm thinking that .8 was the key driving point to make it through a full interval even though it read full at 9quarts. I had him put the full 10 this round and see if I make it through with no hiccups. Now I'm worried after reading the last few threads, it's not good.

flowrider 09-26-16 02:35 PM

^^^^I bought my F new back in '08. I've done all oil changes myself. And as I said on the previous page I've been putting in 10 full quarts with filter on each change with absolutely no ill effects or leaks. I won't be changing my practices.

Originally Posted by SoulFreak (Post 9630693)
it's not good.

Don't worry about it:nono:

Lou

SoulFreak 09-26-16 05:05 PM

Thank you Lou👍