IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-18, 09:38 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by scommando1
Agreed 100%. Adding to your point, in this very thread from yesterday to today, they've already changed their delivery date from "mid-June" to "late-June". Just a couple weeks from now, we should be getting a new announcement pushing it to early-July.

It would be a shame for the company if this was taken to court...

At the very least, I expect GROM to refund 50% to unsatisfied preorders for not delivering the product they promised and sold on paper.
Specs of the unit stay as claimed. If you need 7.1 with this update we can flash that but it is still unstable, simply let our support know your decision so they will custom flash it for you.
Old 05-17-18, 09:42 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by summerst1
Grom: to summarize consumer protection law: the minute payment is tendered you are legally obligated to deliver the item as specified on a specified date. Simply saying take your money back or accept a materially different item is not the law.

Have you ever noticed why your Amazon order gets charged a whole day later? They only charge your card once the item is packed, that way they won't mess up big time like you.

Additionally, you have been sitting on our capital for three months. I will settle for wireless carplay released OTA within three months.

Don't play the "okay take your money back game". It is irresponsible and ruins your brand. It makes GROM appear as if only money motivated, and uncaring about the product or the consumers. If you want more money Grom, build the product we want. It will sell on its own.

EDIT: GROM Business Idea: Sell $2,000 brand new Macbook Pros deliverable in 6 months online for $1250. Then after 5 months, tell them it's actually the Macbook Pro from 2009, still in it's new boxing. Then issue the refund. Meanwhile, put the cash into investment grade securities yielding 4.5%. If you get 10,000 sales you could invest the $12.5MM, and have about 1/2 a million in income per year. GENIUS.
Specs of the unit stay as claimed, so your example is not applicable. If you need 7.1 with this update we can flash that but it is still unstable, simply let our support know your decision so they will custom flash it for you.
Old 05-18-18, 03:55 AM
MykaiRO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Specs of the unit stay as claimed, so your example is not applicable. If you need 7.1 with this update we can flash that but it is still unstable, simply let our support know your decision so they will custom flash it for you.
Not trying to play devil's advocate but I'd rather have a stabile 5.1 working version that will be updated in a few weeks to 7.1 than a 7.1 OS that is filled with bugs. Especially since this thread is filled with examples for the later case. And since we're talking about flashing non standard software, can I please get Viper4android flashed on mine?
Old 05-18-18, 04:25 AM
armourer
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Beta version available on phones only. I suggest trying it out to make sure you see no issues with Spotify and let us know. We plan on having it released on VLine early July
I am getting: "This item isn't available in your country". Can you please open it for Israel ?
Old 05-18-18, 05:04 AM
MykaiRO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beta version available on phones only. I suggest trying it out to make sure you see no issues with Spotify and let us know. We plan on having it released on VLine early July
Suggestion regarding Spotify plug-in: can you move the left side top bar with equalizer settings and also the bottom one with track length band to the right side of the screen (above and below fast forward, play/pause and rewind controls? As it is right now, it covers part of album artwork (for instance check out album art from Ghost, track Rats or Dance Macabre).
Old 05-20-18, 12:09 PM
unagijimbo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default CarPlay working again

I finally figured out the issue I was having with CarPlay.

Something with beta AirPlay was screwing with CarPlay in the most recent update. I restarted my phone and CarPlay started working normally again on the VLINE, which is the first thing Grom support told me to do but I must have overlooked.

After I tried to connect to AirPlay again, CarPlay stopped working properly. Another restart of the phone made it work normally again. I tested this cycle and had the same results with my wife’s phone and my phone.

Thanks again for the support and being responsive, grom team!

Last edited by unagijimbo; 05-20-18 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-21-18, 12:15 PM
kennytbone
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

While I'm disappointed 7.1 won't be ready by May 25th, Grom did say the unit would ship on or after May 25th, leaving the door open for them to push back the ship date until 7.1 is ready. I personally would prefer to have the unit shipped on May 25th with 5.1 and update later than wait another month or more for 7.1 to be ready.
Old 05-22-18, 11:29 AM
detinater
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Really debating between the GROM and something more tested like a screen mirroring setup from Beatsonic in my RCF. I know the Beatsonic setup isn't HD quality because of the RCA conversion. Is the GROM VL2 setup in HD on our nav screens? Also I see it has to use a WiFi LTE modem setup to get data. Is it possible to buy a compatible USB LTE modem and plug it directly into the unit? I looked through this thread but didn't see anyone mention a direct connection for a USB modem.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 05-23-18, 09:23 AM
unagijimbo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by detinater
Really debating between the GROM and something more tested like a screen mirroring setup from Beatsonic in my RCF. I know the Beatsonic setup isn't HD quality because of the RCA conversion. Is the GROM VL2 setup in HD on our nav screens? Also I see it has to use a WiFi LTE modem setup to get data. Is it possible to buy a compatible USB LTE modem and plug it directly into the unit? I looked through this thread but didn't see anyone mention a direct connection for a USB modem.

Thoughts anyone?
Regardless of the growing pains associated with the VL, the system integrates very well and seamlessly into our cars. Again, it has not been perfect, but IMO, it has been worth it. I have an 05 model though, so the computer tech was EXTREMELY dated before I got the VL. I have had it for over a year now and still love the functionality every time I get in the car and hook up my phone to CarPlay. I'm not too familiar with the Beatsonic kits, so I can't really speak on that, just my .02 on the VL.
Old 05-23-18, 04:33 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by detinater

Thoughts anyone?
I currently have a Miracast receiver hooked up to my aux video input, which allows wireless mirroring of my phone. The video looks decent (set to PAL for extra resolution), but I have regular audio stuttering that drives me crazy, and because I have a S9+ (with non-standard aspect ratio) I have to go into the settings every time to output 16:9. I really wanted the same functionality that I had with the Vaistech Ivic I had in my 08', but the reality is that mirroring is only so useful without a way to select things. I have a Samsung bluetooth mouse that I pair when I mirror, so the phone can stay tucked into the space between my seat and the center console, but using it on my thigh to try and select things while driving is not ideal. No steering controls is also a pain when you want to do something simple like skip a track. I honestly haven't used the mirroring in months.

I read through this entire thread before choosing to pre-order the Vline2. I am willing to deal with some growing pains, and I am technologically inclined, so I decided to give this product a shot. It's a shame Lexus is so far behind on both infotainment and powertrains these days. My RC gets so many compliments, and yet it's really just a pretty shell covering legacy systems.
Old 05-24-18, 04:00 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default and in classic Grom form

The 3 week shipment delay is announced the day before the expected ship date - Bravo! Preorders will now start to ship on 6/15 (and we'll see what the email we receive on 6/14 says about the shipment date).
Old 05-24-18, 04:05 PM
DeeBrown
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You really surprised?? Ŕ month ago they started testing apps... Sorry but I can't find reason to convince myself to get this unit anymore...and the pre-order saving is not enough for me to beta test...ive canceled my pre-order and I have to say they did the refund right away.
​​​
Old 05-24-18, 04:09 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DeeBrown
You really surprised?? Ŕ month ago they started testing apps... Sorry but I can't find reason to convince myself to get this unit anymore...and the pre-order saving is not enough for me to beta test...ive canceled my pre-order and I have to say they did the refund right away.
​​​
nope - that's why I said "in classic Grom form"
Old 05-24-18, 04:24 PM
scommando1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rehr0001
The 3 week shipment delay is announced the day before the expected ship date - Bravo! Preorders will now start to ship on 6/15 (and we'll see what the email we receive on 6/14 says about the shipment date).
The announcement email today about said the following: "We will start shipping out preorders on June 15 and will finish all shipments in 2 weeks."

Meaning, you could possible receive your GROM preorder at your door more than a month later, early July. All, without Android 7.1 in the box.

Whether GROM wants to admit it or not, the launch of this VL2 product has been a complete failure from not sending you the product that you purchased (Android 5.1 instead of Android 7.1) to now delaying shipments by roughly a month. If you pre-ordered mid-April, you could be getting your product at your door as late as early July.

If the product that arrives at my doorstep doesn't blow my socks off with it's performance, GROM's product is utter garbage. I know there's a good amount of work that went into it by your team, but the amount of things going wrong on your part in delivering the right product and on time, in no way justifies the steep price.
Old 05-26-18, 06:52 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by scommando1
The announcement email today about said the following: "We will start shipping out preorders on June 15 and will finish all shipments in 2 weeks."

Meaning, you could possible receive your GROM preorder at your door more than a month later, early July. All, without Android 7.1 in the box.

Whether GROM wants to admit it or not, the launch of this VL2 product has been a complete failure from not sending you the product that you purchased (Android 5.1 instead of Android 7.1) to now delaying shipments by roughly a month. If you pre-ordered mid-April, you could be getting your product at your door as late as early July.

If the product that arrives at my doorstep doesn't blow my socks off with it's performance, GROM's product is utter garbage. I know there's a good amount of work that went into it by your team, but the amount of things going wrong on your part in delivering the right product and on time, in no way justifies the steep price.
Totally agree! The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a similar competitive product on the market. A little healthy competition is better for the consumer. If they were truly smart, they would offer CL forum members an additional discount and/or a discount for feedback as "beta" testers. Feedback is important for future product improvement/enhancement. There's no better person to become a brand ambassador than a CL member who is willing to speak up about why they love the product and would buy the product again. Even as frustrated as some people are with software updates, etc, I have mostly heard positive endorsements on the functionality of the VLine and how much it provides from people who have purchased/used it indicating they are brand loyal and would purchase it again. Again, this is partly because there isn't a competitor offering similar functionality.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?