IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Old 10-17-18, 01:07 PM
GS3ooMania
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by newgsman
If I do a factory reset will I have to reinstall all my apps that I downloaded like maps.me, and googlemaps?
Any luck after Groms reply?
Old 10-17-18, 01:23 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by baviaannl
I downloaded the newest firmware (available in the UK) a few days back, unfortunately this has added both Bluetooth and WiFi instability. Sometimes when I start the car, neither will connect. If I turn the car off and restart 30 mins later, this normally fixes the issue. I've had it twice in 4 days. Prior to that update, I've never experienced this issue before.
Its strange how there is such inconsistencies, hope you get a resolve soon. I also downloaded the latest update on my V2 a few days ago (AU based) and it works great. I drive for hours at at time and it never drops out bluetooth or wifi.

Only issue i had is one time all worked but had no audio (music, flash drive, sat nav directions etc). Rebooted Vline and phone but no luck. Hours later when i started the back up, it worked so similar fix to you.

If you reboot the Vline, does it fix your connection issues or are you finding the only resolve is by starting the car up later?
Old 10-17-18, 01:31 PM
baviaannl
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF5L
Its strange how there is such inconsistencies, hope you get a resolve soon. I also downloaded the latest update on my V2 a few days ago (AU based) and it works great. I drive for hours at at time and it never drops out bluetooth or wifi.

Only issue i had is one time all worked but had no audio (music, flash drive, sat nav directions etc). Rebooted Vline and phone but no luck. Hours later when i started the back up, it worked so similar fix to you.

If you reboot the Vline, does it fix your connection issues or are you finding the only resolve is by starting the car up later?
I haven't worked out how to re-boot the Vline, under settings I see no such option, how do you do it?
Old 10-17-18, 01:37 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

I haven't worked out how to re-boot the Vline, under settings I see no such option, how do you do it?
To reboot, go to "settings", scroll down to "about" and select Vline updates. Then you need to scroll down and you'll see the reboot option
Old 10-17-18, 01:40 PM
baviaannl
Driver School Candidate

To reboot, go to "settings", scroll down to "about" and select Vline updates. Then you need to scroll down and you'll see the reboot option
Thanks, strange place to find a reboot option! Next time I have this issue, I'll see if a re-boot cures it.

I have actually had the issue you mention... The lack of sound problem. This was prior to the latest update and like yourself, it seemed to work the next day.

By the sounds of these issues, they can only be fixed once the Vline turns off (15 minutes after the ignition is turned off I believe) So I'm hoping this isn't a hardware issue.

Thanks for the info
Old 10-17-18, 01:49 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Thanks, strange place to find a reboot option! Next time I have this issue, I'll see if a re-boot cures it.

I have actually had the issue you mention... The lack of sound problem. This was prior to the latest update and like yourself, it seemed to work the next day.

By the sounds of these issues, they can only be fixed once the Vline turns off (15 minutes after the ignition is turned off I believe) So I'm hoping this isn't a hardware issue.

Thanks for the info
Agreed strange place for a reboot option, i struggled to find it at first as well until i saw a youtube video of it.
I start and stop my car atleast 4-5 times a day so quite often and only had the sound issue twice so not enough to annoy me just yet lol.
Never had the connection issue so hopefully the reboot fixes it for now.
Agreed about the 15min thing because last time the sound didnt work, i parked for about 30mins or so and upon starting the car it worked. I have a USB charger connected the Vline that emits a small light so i know even when i park the car and walk away i can see the small light still on so power is still there.
Old 10-17-18, 01:54 PM
baviaannl
Driver School Candidate

Agreed strange place for a reboot option, i struggled to find it at first as well until i saw a youtube video of it.
I start and stop my car atleast 4-5 times a day so quite often and only had the sound issue twice so not enough to annoy me just yet lol.
Never had the connection issue so hopefully the reboot fixes it for now.
Agreed about the 15min thing because last time the sound didnt work, i parked for about 30mins or so and upon starting the car it worked. I have a USB charger connected the Vline that emits a small light so i know even when i park the car and walk away i can see the small light still on so power is still there.
I feel the same about the bluetooth/wifi issue, it's not quiet a deal breaker as everything still works, I have loads of music stored locally so it's easy to switch from Spotify. Traffic is a pain when it happens as I do rely on that data which needs the wifi although like you, I have maybe 5-6 start/stops a day so out of maybe 31 starts I've had the problem twice. Would be interested to know from @gromaudio if this is something they are aware of.
Old 10-17-18, 02:49 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Those with the Vline2 installed. Have you tried any apps that utilize the accelerometer? I installed the Torque app the other day, but the accelerometer function is saying "no data." I downloaded a stand alone accelerometer app, and it shows that the sensor is present, but there's no measurements coming out of it. I browsed through the settings and did not seeing options to turn the sensor on/ff, but maybe I missed it.
Old 10-17-18, 07:06 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3ooMania
Any luck after Groms reply?
I didn't do the reset.

I have also been discussing this issue with their tech support and they sent me another (older) software version which at least kind of got my system sort of working. It is not as stable as it was with the firmware it had before I did the OTA firmware upgrade. Not sure why the system prompted my to do an upgrade if it wasn't absolutely necessary. I still have a problem with having music apps read my music stored on my USB drive with the firmware the tech people sent me. Too bad I don't know what version was in the system before all this nonsense started happening.

I might try a rest as a last resort. This whole thing is so frustrating. I am also pretty sure the connector to the Vline is more than likely not designed for the number of times I have had to disconnect and reconnect. I hope it doesn't crap out on me.
Old 10-17-18, 10:22 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by rcJten
Those with the Vline2 installed. Have you tried any apps that utilize the accelerometer? I installed the Torque app the other day, but the accelerometer function is saying "no data." I downloaded a stand alone accelerometer app, and it shows that the sensor is present, but there's no measurements coming out of it. I browsed through the settings and did not seeing options to turn the sensor on/ff, but maybe I missed it.
Accelerometer is there but we haven't activated it yet. Will be after 8.1 is up and running.
Old 10-18-18, 05:42 AM
Arvid
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I was promised that I could buy the parts from Grom to update from V1 to V2 when I chatted with them months ago a…. I asked again online with them and got this answer after waiting for 6 days:

Hello Arvid,
Apologize for the delay with the answer.
To get an upgrade you can get a new VLine VL2, just the unit, and reuse the existing cables that you already have installed.

The cost is $492.51 Since you are a repeat customer we are offering you additional $100 off,f or the total of $392.51

Shipping to Norway is $57.99, so the total comes to $450.5

Let me know if you are interested in proceeding further.

Thank you.

I have paid 100's of $'s to ship it back before and are really bummed out that I have not got what I have paid for at all... and I was one of the first to buy the V1 in Europe...

GROM: Please stay with the promiss You made that we could buy the V2 parts needed to update the V1

Regards

Arvid
Norway
Old 10-18-18, 09:57 AM
JohanH
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Arvid
GROM: Please stay with the promiss You made that we could buy the V2 parts needed to update the V1

Regards

Arvid
Norway
I'm in a similar situation and was hoping for this as well.
My VL1 died after it worked for only 2 weeks correctly after multiple updates.
GROM offered to fix it under warranty but they would want all cables sent back to the US as well, and I really didn't want to go through the hassle of removing everything and refitting weeks later if it would return.
So replacing only the PCB seemed like a much better and easier option.
But apparently that's not going to happen.
I can understand why GROM will sell only complete units and not the PCB separate; I'm guessing the box the PCB is in, accounts for maybe 20% of the cost of the VLine.
IIRC the box is connected to the PCB for cooling purposes, so too much room for error if us simple users would try to swap PCBs.

But at these prices I definitely won't be buying a VL2 unit.

Cheers,
Johan
Old 10-18-18, 12:03 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Arvid
I third that sentiment ... GROM's statement in post #953 from March was ..

Originally Posted by gromaudio
... Once VL2 is shipped and production is steady we will offer VC2 module (swap for VC1) for tinkerers (advanced). All details will be announced after we start shipping VL2. Upgrade operation will require the good technical knowledge and certain assembly skills.
I have inquired a few times with tech support, and as of July was still being directed to watch their marketing emails for an announcement. I honestly don't care if it is the whole box, or just boards. I suspect the issue is they never promised it at a particular price or discount off the full price of a VL2, though I would hope that it would be a better discount than just $100 off. The benefit to them is they are removing used VL1 units from competing with new sales, but then selling VL2 units to existing customers, minus the cables accomplishes the same goal. I suppose it all comes down to if they want to keep existing customers happy, and potential profits on upgrade kit versus sales of VL2 units to those that decide not to wait. I for one will continue to wait, while being disappointed that I need to.
Old 10-18-18, 01:25 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by KYLS
I have inquired a few times with tech support, and as of July was still being directed to watch their marketing emails for an announcement. I honestly don't care if it is the whole box, or just boards. I suspect the issue is they never promised it at a particular price or discount off the full price of a VL2, though I would hope that it would be a better discount than just $100 off. The benefit to them is they are removing used VL1 units from competing with new sales, but then selling VL2 units to existing customers, minus the cables accomplishes the same goal. I suppose it all comes down to if they want to keep existing customers happy, and potential profits on upgrade kit versus sales of VL2 units to those that decide not to wait. I for one will continue to wait, while being disappointed that I need to.
Exactly my thoughts and feelings. Well said. I will patiently await an upgrade kit. My VL1 works "good enough" most of the time that I certainly won't drop the cash to buy a brand new full VL2 unit outright... so its just a question of if they want some or none of my money.
Old 10-19-18, 04:33 AM
baviaannl
Driver School Candidate

@gromaudio Please, please, please can you setup a change-log for your Vline firmware upgrades. It'd be useful to know exactly what issues you have addressed with each upgrade.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?