IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-16, 07:38 AM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
My GPS works great, I ended up mounting it inside of the dash directly underneath the factory navigation antenna. In my ES350, it's towards the center of the dash; not sure where it is in the IS-F.
Found the answer here for the ISF antenna location.

Last edited by mahcah; 10-12-16 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-12-16, 08:03 AM
Orboro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

USPS delivered mine yesterday and then promptly took it back when no on was there to sign for it. I'll have to go pick it up from them sometime later.

Disappointed to hear that it's sluggish.
Old 10-12-16, 08:16 AM
GarageB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Orboro
USPS delivered mine yesterday and then promptly took it back when no on was there to sign for it. I'll have to go pick it up from them sometime later.

Disappointed to hear that it's sluggish.
Yeah they could have spent $25 more on hardware and it would have been much better. Would have gladly paid $325-$350 for something that performed well.

Hopefully they get my GPS problem solved quickly. Might ask for CarPlay beta to verify if its a more livable experience. Def on the fence at this point, and would recommend others to wait to purchase.
Old 10-12-16, 11:28 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Hello,
Thank you for the feedback.

1. GPS: Make sure you try Google maps or Waze and have Location permissions enabled, if no help, let us know.

2. When I get back in the car sometimes I need to hit the CD/AUX button to bring the vline screen back up.

Yes the default Lexus behavior when backing up is to switch to Navi. Need to press AUDIO button after that.

3. The interface works ok in the handful of apps it comes with. With apps that arent pre-installed, it pops up a navigation bar on the left side - the navigation bar doesnt have a back button.

Yes the back button will be fixed in next OTA

4. The red microphone icon is obnoxious and I dont find it to be that useful. Id prefer to have it removed.

It works for finding POIs or directions only at this point. We will add voice music search in few weeks. More voice functions will be dependent on the context of the app you use.

At the end of the day Grom should have not tried to create its own interface and instead opted for Android Auto - which is better suited for a car environment

You can install any launcher you want. We offer DashLinQ as a complimentary software with functionality tailored to car usage and integrated with Lexus controls.
Standalone Android Auto might be released by Google to public later this year.

Also, there is absolutely no need for this device to have to boot each time - I own an android tablet, it sits on my bedside table for a week, and when i pick it up, its exactly where I left it and it doesnt need to boot.

Car battery is not too difficult to discharge. An extra 20-40mA on top of everything else already consuming while car is stationary will drain weak battery within week or two. At this point we are still playing with sleep modes. I hope later this month we will have safe way to sleep/wakeup without cold bootup via OTA.

Originally Posted by GarageB
Installed mine today, so far Im not very impressed.

Initial complaints:

1. The GPS isnt working. The GPS receiver has a flashing red LED the entire time, and it gets no fix.

2. When I get back in the car sometimes I need to hit the CD/AUX button to bring the vline screen back up.

3. The interface works ok in the handful of apps it comes with. With apps that arent pre-installed, it pops up a navigation bar on the left side - the navigation bar doesnt have a back button.

4. The red microphone icon is obnoxious and I dont find it to be that useful. Id prefer to have it removed.

5. Performance wise it runs about as good as my 2 year old $50 android tablet.

At the end of the day Grom should have not tried to create its own interface and instead opted for Android Auto - which is better suited for a car environment.

Also, there is absolutely no need for this device to have to boot each time - I own an android tablet, it sits on my bedside table for a week, and when i pick it up, its exactly where I left it and it doesnt need to boot.

What say you Grom?
Old 10-12-16, 11:44 AM
GarageB
Rookie

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Hello,
Thank you for the feedback.

1. GPS: Make sure you try Google maps or Waze and have Location permissions enabled, if no help, let us know.

Yes the default Lexus behavior when backing up is to switch to Navi. Need to press AUDIO button after that.

Yes the back button will be fixed in next OTA

It works for finding POIs or directions only at this point. We will add voice music search in few weeks. More voice functions will be dependent on the context of the app you use.

At the end of the day Grom should have not tried to create its own interface and instead opted for Android Auto - which is better suited for a car environment

You can install any launcher you want. We offer DashLinQ as a complimentary software with functionality tailored to car usage and integrated with Lexus controls.
Standalone Android Auto might be released by Google to public later this year.

Car battery is not too difficult to discharge. An extra 20-40mA on top of everything else already consuming while car is stationary will drain weak battery within week or two. At this point we are still playing with sleep modes. I hope later this month we will have safe way to sleep/wakeup without cold bootup via OTA.
1. Permissions are enabled for Google / Waze, the GPS receiver is flashing red (which i assume means it can see no satellites). I originally mounted it on my passenger A-Pillar, and then moved it to the windshield - still, no signal.

2. Understood - still disappointing.

3. Thank you

If I want to install any other launcher, is there any tricks to getting it back to the OEM version?

Also would really be interested in trying CarPlay - just so I can get an idea of how it will work.

Last, when you add the back button, also add a task switcher (so I can see which apps are running and close them, because resources are very limited.
Old 10-12-16, 12:16 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Please contact tech support for the GPS problem, at http://gromaudio.com/support.html They will get back to you shortly. Note that we do not have VLine in the drop down under " The product you inquire: ", so use USB3 option. Your ticket will get into the right hands. You can also chat with us live 8am-5pm PST Monday through Friday.

The rest of your concerns and questions will be addressed shortly.

1. Permissions are enabled for Google / Waze, the GPS receiver is flashing red (which i assume means it can see no satellites). I originally mounted it on my passenger A-Pillar, and then moved it to the windshield - still, no signal.

2. Understood - still disappointing.

3. Thank you

If I want to install any other launcher, is there any tricks to getting it back to the OEM version?

Also would really be interested in trying CarPlay - just so I can get an idea of how it will work.

Last, when you add the back button, also add a task switcher (so I can see which apps are running and close them, because resources are very limited.
Old 10-12-16, 02:15 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Default VLine install into Lexus 2007 2008 2009 LS460 LS600h

Here is the VLine install video into 2007-2009 Lexus LS460 and 2008-2009 Lexus LS600h:
Questions and comments are welcome.
Old 10-12-16, 03:20 PM
GarageB
Rookie

Next question for Grom: how do I change the launcher? how do I remove your navi bar on the left side, and replace it with a stock one?

Id like to try a launcher called AutoMate

Old 10-12-16, 05:25 PM
redcrxsi
Driver

Maybe they will upgrade the hardware, depends on how integrated all the other pieces are. Anyone open up their box yet to see what's in there? I'm guessing not with warranty etc and if you did you wouldn't admit it online
Old 10-12-16, 05:40 PM
redcrxsi
Driver

Yeah they could have spent $25 more on hardware and it would have been much better. Would have gladly paid $325-$350 for something that performed well.

Hopefully they get my GPS problem solved quickly. Might ask for CarPlay beta to verify if its a more livable experience. Def on the fence at this point, and would recommend others to wait to purchase.
It's supposed to be 699 retail and I would assume it's the same hardware version...

Will wait and see, but for that much money it should be running very nice hardware and if not make it $799 and use better hardware.

If Carplay works thought that will remove much of the overhead processing needed and move it your phone, which is easy to keep current/fast.
Old 10-12-16, 07:53 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

VLine Gen 6 beta is going on now, here is the short clip:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLMI0HzDWrd/

Note how you activate the VLine by pressing AUX-USB button, see how you can switch the tracks (on stations in this demo) with steering wheel controls, and quickly access player controls.
Will the Gen 6 VLine uses identical (especially CPU/GPU) hardware as the Gen 5 VLine? I am little concern about performance since Gen 5 VLine seems quick outdated and slow.
Old 10-12-16, 11:02 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

That should not happen, and we tested the same with the few phones today again. Please check with our tech support on the hands free phone calls via factory BT, http://gromaudio.com/support.html
Not sure how you managed to connect to GROM hands free, as VLine does not provide BT hands free - only the BT streaming. Thank you.

Originally Posted by hypervish
I wish I could get phone calls to work properly. I want to use the car's handsfree system not the GROM's, since audio quality is terrible. However, if I pick up the phone call from the Lexus system, the GROM continues playing music. That is obviously a software bug though, so hopefully it's resolved soon.
Old 10-12-16, 11:06 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Automate is the app available at Google play. You can download it and give it a try.
There is no way to remove the navi bar on the left side as of now, as it is used to quickly get "home". We might implement it later if there will be a demand.

Next question for Grom: how do I change the launcher? how do I remove your navi bar on the left side, and replace it with a stock one?

Id like to try a launcher called AutoMate
Old 10-13-16, 05:42 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

That should not happen, and we tested the same with the few phones today again. Please check with our tech support on the hands free phone calls via factory BT, http://gromaudio.com/support.html
Not sure how you managed to connect to GROM hands free, as VLine does not provide BT hands free - only the BT streaming. Thank you.
Ok, will try it again tomorrow and see what happens.

I was able to use GROM Handsfree calling through CarPlay.
Old 10-13-16, 10:10 AM
GarageB
Rookie

Update - so not sure if I am/am not supposed to have Carplay working but I do.

It is simply fantastic.

Grom - is there a way to force the unit to load the Carplay interface as the primary, instead of having to tap the shortcut button each time?

Even with my non-functioning GPS receiver on the Android side, Carplay has no problem because the phone is doing all the work. It is so, so much better to live with than the Android side.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?