Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Hmmm sorry to hear that
Old 06-22-18, 09:07 PM
RookieRick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rehr0001
Well, that was short lived. Pretty sure my unit is now dead.

After unplugging power for 10 minutes or so, I hooked it back up and started it again. I couldn’t connect Bluetooth and no WiFi signals were showing, despite having a router very close in addition to a personal hotspot. I turned off the WiFi on the grom and tried to turn it back on - it just stayed with a message of “turning on WiFi” and never actually got to the point where it was on. I waited a while and tried again with the same results. Then I decided to do an erase and reset to get it back to factory and start over. Instead, now I have this
I rest my case. LOL
Old 06-22-18, 09:20 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I’ll see what support has to say. I’m guessing the WiFi chip failed. Not really much can be done to avoid that if it is indeed the problem.
Old 06-23-18, 11:06 PM
badbwoy007
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Bluetooth Issues

So I got my VL2 unit and installed it. Installation wasn’t bad at all but I have an issue where the Bluetooth audio is extremely choppy! Anyone else have this issue? I did a search online and it said make sure your phone name doesn’t have any special characters in it which is not the case. Wondering if anyone has had this issue and found or received a fix from grom.
Old 06-24-18, 06:27 AM
MT1981
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the VL2 "never left beta testing" or QC is seriously lacking... 600 dollars to beta test an inferior QC'd product. No thanks....

To receive a pretty much "DOA" or half broken product in the first week of launch, than to have thrm posted on the forum is great marketing of why not pull the trigger until this QC is ironed out... $600 is not chump change...

Last edited by MT1981; 06-24-18 at 06:32 AM. Reason: edit
Old 06-24-18, 08:02 AM
Antolope
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badbwoy007
So I got my VL2 unit and installed it. Installation wasn’t bad at all but I have an issue where the Bluetooth audio is extremely choppy! Anyone else have this issue? I did a search online and it said make sure your phone name doesn’t have any special characters in it which is not the case. Wondering if anyone has had this issue and found or received a fix from grom.
Mine is extremely choppy on Bluetooth as well. Although I do have an apostrophe in my phone’s name, so I may try changing that.

I’m also having a major problem with one of the wires that connects to the display. Makes the display go haywire but only if I am on the car’s nav and not using vline. It’s either the cable to the display or the connector on the vline itself. Figured it out by simply checking my connections. Touched the wire and voila the display settled down. Touched it again (moved it) and it went haywire again. Created a short video to send to grom. The sucky part is that I had tested everything and was excitedly happy that the product was working as advertised. So I took my time, ran my wires, made it all look fantastic, put my dash together, and then this. I would hate to have to take it all apart agian. :-( I’ve managed to set the cable just right to where my display isn’t going crazy, but hit a bump on the road and it glitches the display. Again, only if I’m out of the vline and on the RX’s Nav though. If I’m on the radio screen, or the battery generator screen, or the a/c screen - no glitch. Nav screenand it goes bonkers.

Lastly, on occasion, I start up the car and I get no screen at all. What I notice is that I turn the car on, get no display or Lexus logo (screen is completely black) and the radio is turned off (but It was on when I shut the car off so it’s not supposed to be off when turning the car back on). So I turn the radio on and the display comes on, flashes the Lexus logo (as if I was turning the car on for the first time) and then the display comes on and works. Concerned me the first time it happened cause I thought something with the vline fried my screen. It’s happened 2 or 3 times but now I know the display is ok so I just wait before going on my drive.

The vline itself though has been fantastic to use aside from these issues. If I can get that wire fixed, the Bluetooth to stop being choppy, and the display to not (on occasion) not come up when I first turn on the car,,,,, I’m a happy camper!

Last edited by Antolope; 06-24-18 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-24-18, 10:53 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Antolope
Mine is extremely choppy on Bluetooth as well. Although I do have an apostrophe in my phone’s name, so I may try changing that.
Currenty the only way to get rid of audio issues while in bluetooth, is to turn off the Wifi or switch to 5GHz network. We are working on this issue with Wifi chip manufacturer. Fix will be ready shortly.
Originally Posted by Antolope
I’m also having a major problem with one of the wires that connects to the display.
Check with our support, they will send you special video cable for such situations.
Old 06-24-18, 11:00 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Then I decided to do an erase and reset to get it back to factory and start over. Instead, now I have this
We will send official email on factory reset issue asap. We are looking into it and fix will be available shortly. Please do not do Factory Reset after GApps installed, until we isolate the issue.

Last edited by gromaudio; 06-24-18 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-24-18, 05:54 PM
badbwoy007
Driver

VL2 Update

Carplay does not light up green after plugging in my iPhone and there is also no video input plugin available.

Not sure why either of these would have issues in gen2 of a product release.

Anyone else try to use Carplay or add the video input plugin and notice it is missing?
Old 06-24-18, 05:59 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

VL2 Update

Carplay does not light up green after plugging in my iPhone and there is also no video input plugin available.

Not sure why either of these would have issues in gen2 of a product release.

Anyone else try to use Carplay or add the video input plugin and notice it is missing?
Not sure what you mean by "video input plugin", but CarPlay works fine. After you plug in your phone and click on the CarPlay Icon, it takes you to a different screen. I don't remember exactly what it says ... something like click to activate. You have to click that 10 or so times, then the icon will turn green - your phone will prompt you to give permission to the vline, and you'll be set.

CarPlay isn't officially supported which, I believe, is why there isn't official documentation for this.
The following users liked this post:
badbwoy007 (06-24-18)
Old 06-24-18, 06:07 PM
badbwoy007
Driver

The video input plugin would be visible in the plugin section that you see after you hit the plus icon to add a "shortcut".

If you scroll through your plugins, do you see a video input plugin?

This would allow access to the HDMI input and the yellow RCA video input.

Not sure what you mean by "video input plugin", but CarPlay works fine. After you plug in your phone and click on the CarPlay Icon, it takes you to a different screen. I don't remember exactly what it says ... something like click to activate. You have to click that 10 or so times, then the icon will turn green - your phone will prompt you to give permission to the vline, and you'll be set.

CarPlay isn't officially supported which, I believe, is why there isn't official documentation for this.
Old 06-24-18, 06:13 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

The video input plugin would be visible in the plugin section that you see after you hit the plus icon to add a "shortcut".

If you scroll through your plugins, do you see a video input plugin?

This would allow access to the HDMI input and the yellow RCA video input.
Mine's bricked, so I can't check - I won't be of help, though, because I haven't used that part of the vline in the past. Hope the CarPlay solution worked for you.
The following users liked this post:
badbwoy007 (06-24-18)
Old 06-24-18, 06:40 PM
badbwoy007
Driver

Thumbs up

I appreciate the feedback on getting Carplay to work. Couple consecutive taps on the first menu item that shows up after engaging the Carplay icon brings you into the setup.

Mine's bricked, so I can't check - I won't be of help, though, because I haven't used that part of the vline in the past. Hope the CarPlay solution worked for you.
Old 06-24-18, 06:44 PM
badbwoy007
Driver

Here is the video input plugin I saw in someone else's video who has a VL1 that does not show up on my VL2.

Old 06-24-18, 08:33 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

I’m installing mine this coming weekend.. hopefully the first update/fix will be out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?