anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-18, 07:05 AM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by drischnie
https://gromaudio.com/software-vl1.html

There i only see the standard way to update the firmware... not if the display isnt coming... ?
Hm, you're right. Looks like they've changed it since I used it. Here are the previous instructions they gave me for firmware update with no screen:

You will need a USB flash drive. Make sure is freshly format FAT32 that is empty.
Download the file onto the USB flash drive and rename it gromvl1.hex

1. Before proceeding with loading the firmware,
Switch the radio to to FM before turning off and unplugging the Vline module

2. Switch Ignition OFF

3. Unplug the VLINE module from the vehicle

4. Insert the USB flash drive with the renamed file gromvl1.hex into the lower USB port (labeled USB2)

5. Reconnect power to the VLine module. Pay attention to the LED light on the USB drive, It should flash and then turn off. Once LED is off then the firmware is flashed/loaded.

6. After the firmware flashed, simply turn Ignition to ON position, then OFF then ON, wait for 10 seconds after Splash screen off, then press DISC button and see if it displays Vline logo or anything Vline related
Old 02-14-18, 07:07 AM
drischnie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok thanks i will try that!
Old 02-14-18, 08:54 AM
drischnie
Driver School Candidate

tried it. several times. exactly how i have to do it... but no chance... the headunit says: No CD .... the Vline seems to be dead :-(
Old 02-14-18, 11:04 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

tried it. several times. exactly how i have to do it... but no chance... the headunit says: No CD .... the Vline seems to be dead :-(
I would try going back to older firmware version then to see if you can get it back working then
https://gromaudio.com/software-vl1.html
Old 02-14-18, 02:10 PM
drischnie
Driver School Candidate

Hello again.... now installed the firmware before (28) and it works! Thanks alot and do not install the 32!!
Old 02-14-18, 02:15 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Hello again.... now installed the firmware before (28) and it works! Thanks alot and do not install the 32!!
I would try installing version 32 again. I didn't have any problems with it.
Might have been a fluke for you that one time.
Old 02-14-18, 02:38 PM
drischnie
Driver School Candidate

yes will try it again
Old 02-14-18, 04:04 PM
wildta
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by xDe3JaYx
No complaints? People are probably just using it without complaining since the issues are not going to end and they are tired of complaining. I sent the unit back for HDMI input issues and got it back without it being fixed stating it will be fixed with a software update. There are still issue seven with the 3.3.x.x. HDMI input does not work (only get video after unplugging power to vline and audio doesn't work), random reboots, very slow, and apps crashing. I just updated to the latest firmware v32 for gen 5 posted today and now there is no sound. The software still has bugs and is not very stable, it should still be in the beta stage. Other companies will consider this to be in the beta stage and not release it yet. How can vl2 be stable when vl1 still isn't?
They also never cooked in Android Auto like they had originally promised. They have Carplay cooked into it but not Android Auto even though it runs on Android. Empty promises. I wouldn't buy v2 at all to be honest.
Old 02-14-18, 05:52 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by wildta
They also never cooked in Android Auto like they had originally promised. They have Carplay cooked into it but not Android Auto even though it runs on Android. Empty promises. I wouldn't buy v2 at all to be honest.
Can't you still get it through non-official channels? Didn't they say something about they can't just "officially" offer it due to licensing issues? Sounds like it might not be completely their fault.
Old 02-14-18, 10:28 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by wildta
We've been in conversation with Android Auto team for few months. They had plans on releasing their SDK to us at some point, but it never materialized. We haven't talk to them for some time but you can get HeadUnit Reloaded and use that as you would Android Auto. Not sure if this is the big deal but you can run any app on VLine directly without too many limitations AA has.
Old 02-21-18, 08:24 AM
chucktaylu
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
We've been in conversation with Android Auto team for few months. They had plans on releasing their SDK to us at some point, but it never materialized. We haven't talk to them for some time but you can get HeadUnit Reloaded and use that as you would Android Auto. Not sure if this is the big deal but you can run any app on VLine directly without too many limitations AA has.
The benefit of AA is that your phone would do the heavy lifting rather than the vline. The vline is very sluggish when running music + gmaps. Having a modern phone doing the processing would be a huge advantage.
Old 02-21-18, 08:32 AM
eaglclon12
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Any word on iPod interface?
Old 02-22-18, 04:04 PM
s2kjer
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglclon12
Any word on iPod interface?
Yeah and a Zune interface.. We definitely need that in the new version
Old 02-26-18, 07:45 AM
DeeBrown
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VL2 demo video

Hey Grom can you post that video that you guys talked about in december ?
Old 02-26-18, 08:31 AM
wildta
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chucktaylu
The benefit of AA is that your phone would do the heavy lifting rather than the vline. The vline is very sluggish when running music + gmaps. Having a modern phone doing the processing would be a huge advantage.
And having AA run natively thru OS vs 3rd party app like HUR would make the system run even smoother.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?