IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-17, 12:38 PM
brianc5477
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tripp03
Any word in regards to Apple car play? So far, I’m not able to use it as it only plays music through the iPhone only...
i believe an update was to be pushed weeks ago but that’s the last I heard of it.
I did a OTA today and when I plugged my iphone the apple carplay worked with the lightning cable.
Old 10-27-17, 12:52 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by brianc5477
I did a OTA today and when I plugged my iphone the apple carplay worked with the lightning cable.
Was there an update today.. I just checked.. nothing.
Old 10-27-17, 12:55 PM
s2kjer
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jadeboy
Was there an update today.. I just checked.. nothing.
No, and GROM said it should of been last Friday... What gives?
Old 10-28-17, 01:56 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by brianc5477
My guess would be your music is streaming via bluetooth, not through the lightning cable. The problem isn't that carplay doesn't work - the problem is that audio is only available through bluetooth when you have ios11 - rather than just having the cable connection. You can still use carplay and control music, maps, etc - you just have to deal with crappy bluetooth issues.
Old 10-31-17, 10:23 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there a status update on the unit freezing after setting from "Park" to "Reverse" and using Lexus "Audio" button, this is the last annoying bug left from grom vline.
Old 11-01-17, 01:00 PM
s2kjer
Driver

Originally Posted by jadeboy
Is there a status update on the unit freezing after setting from "Park" to "Reverse" and using Lexus "Audio" button, this is the last annoying bug left from grom vline.
Supposedly that was to be addressed in the update that was promised 2 weeks ago. So we wait
Old 11-03-17, 04:50 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Please check the page with VLine videos that we created:
https://gromaudio.com/vline/video.html

If you feel that there is a video that is missing please let us know!
Old 11-03-17, 04:54 PM
s2kjer
Driver

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Please check the page with VLine videos that we created:
https://gromaudio.com/vline/video.html

If you feel that there is a video that is missing please let us know!
We are still waiting for the OTA you told us was coming on October 20th.. lol
Old 11-07-17, 12:44 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by hochiminh
Does the grom have ipod classic connectivity? Seems as though my only options for aftermarket infotainment piggybacks have ipod classic connectivity or bluetooth, but not both.
Anyone ever found out an answer to this?

Originally Posted by rehr0001
I don't know the answer to your question, but have a question back to you. Why? If your music is on an ipod classic, just move it to an SD card or USB stick and you can use the vline to play the music using the touchscreen interface. Your ipod classic really isn't anything other than a USB storage device at this point anyway ......
Will the Grom display album artwork with music from an SD card or USB stick as you mention? That's been my problem in the past... other devices I've used (on other systems/vehicles) haven't made it easy (or work at all) to display album artwork, which is a very nice touch if possible.

Edit: Nvm, found this video:
Might have just sold me on this...
Old 11-08-17, 12:04 AM
drischnie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tested CarPlay with iOS 11.1 : still no sound ...
Old 11-15-17, 02:18 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

this just in... V line works on 460s w/o self park !!!!
Attached Thumbnails anyone getting the grom vline?-screenshot_20171115-171112.jpg   anyone getting the grom vline?-screenshot_20171115-170931.jpg  
Old 11-15-17, 02:35 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Grom - why the distinction between self park and no self park? I bought mine at launch and have self park (08 460L). Are you not supporting us anymore? Any new update on a CarPlay fix?
Old 11-15-17, 03:14 PM
wildta
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveAlbz
So after using a vehicle with Android Auto I decided to investigate getting one into my 2008 IS250. After reading all the posts, I want the Vline - however given the speed issues, am thinking will wait until either the new version comes out with faster processor, or it integrates Android Auto to use my phone for the grunt work.

Hopefully I don't have to wait too long!
If I were you, I'd definitely wait. You can get Android Auto to work but there's still plenty of hiccups they need to work out. Also, Grom still hasn't baked in Android Auto directly into their Vline even thought they baked CarPlay into it. It's odd because the underlying operating system on Vline is Android too. So the only way to get Android Auto to work is by using HeadUnit Reloaded app which indeed works but it's just another thing that could break in the process. I'd rather Grom just bake AA in so I don't have to install any additional apps, including GAPPS, to make a more stable and faster system.

Grom, what's the status of building Android Auto directly into your custom Android ROM?
Old 11-15-17, 04:51 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by newgsman
Yeah, this thing is becoming a major disappointment. Here os a list of things that happen randomly in no particular order or frequency. Every day is a day waiting for any one or more of these events.
1) unit will just freeze
2) sometimes displays vertical lines while frozen
3) sometimes there will be no sound at all
4) sometimes the screen will just go blank
5) still somewhat sketchy with the bloototth
6) randomly pops up with dashlinq failure, even though I don't use dashlinq

The frustrating thing about all this is that sometimes the thing actually does what it's supposed to be doing and it is kind of nice to see the various apps like Google Maps, PowerAmp, and stuff work. I even got the voice search on Google Maps working which is a whole lot better than the 10000 voice commands you have to give out just for a measly address when using the Lexus Nav unit.
It's just crazy how every time I go to show off this Vline unit to my friends the thing decides it's time for a crap and rolls over and plays dead...
There's more than a couple of people who were interested in this but not so much with all of the random issues.
So its been a month and a half since I posted this and apparently some fixes were supposed to have been already in the works at that time. Well today GROM proudly announces the release of VLINE for another platform. I don't think I go through a single day without experiencing one of the random events I listed earlier. Does GROM believe that the product is acceptable the way it is. Some of us have figured out the different push button sequences which correct some of the issues. Other issues require the car to be turned of for a short period while others require switching through to another source (like FM or DVD). GROM seems to be promoting their how to videos, maybe at the very least they should create a video highlighting all of the ways to resolve the random functional failures. You have to wonder if GROM ever plans to do anything about the problems experienced by existing customers. There is no doubt the VLINE product in its current state is not worthy of a LEXUS install. At least the OEM functionality continues to works flawlessly as most of Lexus designs do. I wish there was a way to get regular OEM USB functionality back while VLINE is installed. At least that way I could use the OEM stereo to play music from my USB stick.

Interesting that GROM is testing for BMW applications. Perhaps their product will be more in line with the BMW brand...
Old 11-17-17, 02:01 AM
10lexus350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These guys need to sit down and quickly fix all the little bugs in this thing. I was happy when I got it. But now I honestly don't even use the thing anymore. Way too buggy and inefficient. I'd be happy if there could just trim the whole thing down as much as possible and use it just for Android auto it carplay. As if right now I don't recommend this unit to anybody. I gave it a chance at the intro price. But, paying full price for this thing, in its current state. Is just plain idiotic.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?