IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-16, 10:36 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

How long does your's take to boot? My longest boot with Google apps installed (Google maps only) has been 24 seconds which I don't consider too terrible (I'd love to see it be faster, don't get me wrong).

Strange on the BT streaming - mine works perfectly (though I rarely use it anymore). I wonder if having more google play apps effects it ...... Do you have any other bt streaming devices that work ok with your phone?

One thing I'd like to see is USB tethering rather than relying on setting up a personal hotspot. Uses less battery and it's a lot easier to plug in the cable than it is to wait for the personal hotspot to activate and connect.
Old 10-31-16, 10:46 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by robtown
Does this mean if we received an earlier unit that the GPS antenna is defective?
No, all antennas that shipped to customers are good ones. We do multiple tests before sending it out.
Old 10-31-16, 10:59 AM
wildta
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rehr0001
How long does your's take to boot? My longest boot with Google apps installed (Google maps only) has been 24 seconds which I don't consider too terrible (I'd love to see it be faster, don't get me wrong).
Strange on the BT streaming - mine works perfectly (though I rarely use it anymore). I wonder if having more google play apps effects it ...... Do you have any other bt streaming devices that work ok with your phone?
One thing I'd like to see is USB tethering rather than relying on setting up a personal hotspot. Uses less battery and it's a lot easier to plug in the cable than it is to wait for the personal hotspot to activate and connect.
  • Mine takes 24 seconds too--which as you know can feel like a lifetime when in your car; I hate waiting for the AGREE button on some navigation screens ;-). On the flipside, a battery add-on dongle would fix this issue quite easily and I would easily pay up to $50 for something that plugs into the back of the VLine unit (so I don't have to open up my dash again and I can easily replace the battery if needed); I would hope such a device could handle at least 20 days in standby mode which means it would also be a large enough battery that could easily take care of overnight downloads and updates to apps, music library, podcasts, etc. while my car is parked in the garage and the VLine is connected to my home wifi.
  • As for A2DP playback, I've only streamed Spotify, Pocket Casts and Waze with all of them having slight issues. I'm tempted to rip this out and install my old GROM unit but I'm also trying to stay hopeful about the implementation of Android Auto.
  • I agree with you 100% about USB tethering. Way more ideal than hotspot. I too was disappointed to find out this was not available.

Last edited by wildta; 11-04-16 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-31-16, 01:28 PM
Teachustea
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
VLine should not consume more that 3mA in sleep which is inline with what stereo/navi consumes. So it might be something software related.
Send me a pic of the SW version and VBase code version in About -> VLine .... We'll check if we had any reports so far.
Make sure to turn off Smart Scheduler for now (DashLinQ Launcher->Settings). We will let everybody know when it is safe to use. I hope this week we should be able to release it.
On Local plugin, it should not take long to scan 64GB USB stick. Even though first time it might take a while, it saves the DB image internally so next time it should instant. Let me know if it not working like it should.
What app did you use that scans faster ?

I think I resolved the issue. It was a dumb mistake on my part. When I installed the unit I disconnected the negative terminal to the battery. When I put everything back together, I did not tighten the lead going onto the negative terminal. I believe tightening the lead solved the non starting problem. We'll see if it does. I use Poweramp. It scans pretty fast.
Old 10-31-16, 03:59 PM
mannysanch
Driver School Candidate

Hey everyone,
I've installed the unit a few weeks ago, install was straightforward...on the hardware side of things, I had some issues figuring out how to remove the glovebox so I could install the unit behind it, but that was it. Currently I'm waiting for a usb and a usb/hdmi extension cable to flush mount a usb port inside the glovebox and the usb/hdmi inside the center console armrest... I also forgot to install an sdcard so I'll be doing that once I get the cables as well.

On the software side, not terribly happy with DashLinQ launcher, so I'm looking to replace it with something later on (automate, or car launcher pro?). I also had the local music app freeze up while scanning my usb, but since I use poweramp for music no biggie (swiping to change tracks works btw ), I've installed an autostart app so that poweramp starts at startup and autoresumes playing, installed tablet talk to be able to get txt notifications on screen, installed torque to get obdII info (having issues connecting to obd adapter after I installed the vline behind glovebox which sucks, so may have to find alternate install spot closer to driver side). I want to install the Here navigation app, so I can have offline maps, but was unable to actually download the offline maps, will give it another go in the car, if not I'll try downloading the map data on my phone and then transferring to car, if that fails... I'll look for another app, igo might be good, but maps are $30, so I'll try to get the free app working before I shell out more $$.

Issues I have with the device, initial boot (I was thinking the same thing wildta is), sometimes when I put the car in reverse the backup camera doesn't take over screen, not much of a big deal since I rarely use it (can't get accustomed to using it backup cameras), device really needs some sort of killswitch that doesn't involve turning the car off, though I have not had it crash on me except when I first try to use the local music app to scan my library, I did have to do it when I performed system updates since the device wasn't automatically rebooting after finishing the update. As I have updated the device I have a back button now, which is great, now I'm waiting for voice commands to be expanded.

This is a pic with the sort of cable I'll be using to mount the ports
Old 11-01-16, 06:34 AM
geero
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

do you have a link to the isb extension cable? thanks
Old 11-01-16, 07:02 AM
mannysanch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by geero
do you have a link to the isb extension cable? thanks
Sadly it's ebay and I couldn't find a stateside seller... so I'm stuck waiting for it, but here you go USB cable
Old 11-03-16, 09:46 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by Teachustea
I think I resolved the issue. It was a dumb mistake on my part. When I installed the unit I disconnected the negative terminal to the battery. When I put everything back together, I did not tighten the lead going onto the negative terminal. I believe tightening the lead solved the non starting problem. We'll see if it does. I use Poweramp. It scans pretty fast.
We just tried the latest build and see that MSD scanning is locking up in DashLinQ. We are actively working on fixing it along with fast startup issue. Next week we'll have stable build. We will send email to everyone once ready.
Thank you for your patience.
Old 11-03-16, 09:53 PM
FWizard
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Grom, any ETA for support of Gen 6 Navigation? Would make for a nice XMAS gift!
Old 11-03-16, 10:58 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by FWizard
Grom, any ETA for support of Gen 6 Navigation? Would make for a nice XMAS gift!
Going through beta testing these days. Only for IS/GS with touchscreen though. Non touchscreens will be ready late Dec. Still polishing software and interfacing.
Old 11-07-16, 07:07 AM
GR8WHITE
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have now had this installed for a little over a week, and for the most part I love it. Pretty cool how relevant the technology feels in my car once again. HOWEVER, I am having one issue that is pretty frustrating, and wanted to know if anyone else is expereiencing. I cannot for the life of me get Waze to run. As soon as I open it, 5 seconds into loading I get the "Sorry Waze has stopped" message. I see that Waze recently came out with an update (~10/31), and thinking it is related since I heard prior to my installation that Waze worked with this unit. Side note, I have updated the Vline and dashlinq software as well.

Other than the Waze issue, I'm a pretty happy customer.
Old 11-07-16, 05:16 PM
wildta
Rookie

If anyone is looking for an alternative, Sony is coming out with a head unit that handles both Android Auto and Apple Carplay for $500:
https://blog.sony.com/press/sony-in-...-connectivity/

Not really apples to apples but still a potential alternative.
Old 11-08-16, 03:37 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by GR8WHITE
I have now had this installed for a little over a week, and for the most part I love it. Pretty cool how relevant the technology feels in my car once again. HOWEVER, I am having one issue that is pretty frustrating, and wanted to know if anyone else is expereiencing. I cannot for the life of me get Waze to run. As soon as I open it, 5 seconds into loading I get the "Sorry Waze has stopped" message. I see that Waze recently came out with an update (~10/31), and thinking it is related since I heard prior to my installation that Waze worked with this unit. Side note, I have updated the Vline and dashlinq software as well.

Other than the Waze issue, I'm a pretty happy customer.
Yes we saw that problem started last week. We have to analyze the crash first and play with workarounds. Hope they can fix it (we sent plenty of reports already, but won't hurt even more)
Old 11-10-16, 08:54 AM
GarageB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wildta
If anyone is looking for an alternative, Sony is coming out with a head unit that handles both Android Auto and Apple Carplay for $500:
https://blog.sony.com/press/sony-in-...-connectivity/

Not really apples to apples but still a potential alternative.
these idiot stereo manufacturers keep making DIN/DOUBLEDIN units and thats not only what they need to be making.

they need to make the faceplate like a tablet so it can be mounted in the standard double din slot, or custom mounted higher, around the dash line (just like newer OEM solutions).

then they could sell adapter brackets to help it fit specific cars.

Old 11-23-16, 02:32 PM
wildta
Rookie

Is everyone else's reverse track button working on their steering wheel? Mine stopped working using the native vSpotify app, A2DP streaming, etc. Also, I'm still having the issue of the track names being one off from the cover art once I hit forward track--only way to reset is to go out of the cover art screen and back but once I hit ffwd track, it happens again.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?