IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-19, 03:21 PM
steeven001
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

Has anyone tried the Headunit Reloaded Emulator for Android Auto app on the vline to see how well Android auto works?

Here's a link to the app from the Google play store.

Headunit Reloaded Emulator for Android Auto

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gb.xxy.hr
Old 01-21-19, 12:28 PM
mthornto88
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

@gromaudio so what’s the difference between the VLine Lite and Vline2? It seems that the Lite is just a phone mirroring device but you have to buy an adapter ( chromecast & Apple adapter) as well. Which makes me wonder what the box is for? Not sure why that wasn’t built into it. The Vline2 seems to be a full blown android unit with no phone mirroring? Am I missing anything? And can you confirm the VLine 2 will be getting Android Auto in February?
Old 01-21-19, 12:50 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Sstockss
Does this "replace" the CD input? Stock the aux won't work if there's a CD in and would like to be able to switch inputs between grom and CD if possible.
No it doesnt. You can still play audio through the OEM CD setup by pressing CD. However once you go back into VLine via Aux (Audio button wont revert back to Vline once CD input is iniated), then the CD Audio stops and Vline takes back over so you cant hear CD audio in the background.

Wheras with VLine you could be playing spotify, webradio, USB input etc and have your maps overlay.

For just switching between inputs, it can be done no issue but as mentioned, you either listen to the OEM setup (CD and use stock maps) OR then revert to Vline via Aux initially and then the Audio button quickly takes you back to Vline everytime.
Old 01-21-19, 06:53 PM
Earffman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Android Oreo?!

Dear GromAudio! Already passed the middle of January! where is our long-awaited update for Vline 2?
Old 01-21-19, 11:07 PM
baviaannl
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Earffman
Dear GromAudio! Already passed the middle of January! where is our long-awaited update for Vline 2?
haha I'd guess May/June :P
Old 01-22-19, 04:05 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

We'll start shipping out 8.1 units tomorrow. Update process for existing units takes little longer than expected.
Still working out issues in migration scripts to avoid bricking the units. Stay put, we're getting there.
Old 01-22-19, 04:06 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by ALK
I want to get for vline 2 for my 07 LS460 . And I want to add front camera . Is it possible yet ?
Yes possible. Only has te be engaged manually from launcher. We will add automatic detection in couple of weeks.
Old 01-22-19, 04:11 PM
Earffman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gromaudio
We'll start shipping out 8.1 units tomorrow. Update process for existing units takes little longer than expected.
Still working out issues in migration scripts to avoid bricking the units. Stay put, we're getting there.
huge request, if possible, send update files to the e-mail or links to any interested owners. I for example live in the Caucasus (Europe) and updates over the air will not soon appear, I think. or i am wrong
Old 01-22-19, 04:41 PM
Neles
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So I had my VL2 crash (with static vertical green lines) when my reverse camera was engaged. I had to restart the car (which rebooted VL) to get it back to normal. This is the first time this has happened since installing 4 days ago. I've also noticed that when I reverse, for about .3 seconds, I get vertical lines before showing the camera.
Old 01-22-19, 05:11 PM
kennytbone
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by steeven001
Has anyone tried the Headunit Reloaded Emulator for Android Auto app on the vline to see how well Android auto works?

Here's a link to the app from the Google play store.

Headunit Reloaded Emulator for Android Auto

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gb.xxy.hr
Sweet fancy Moses! I just tried the trial version on my VL1 with USB and it worked perfectly! I'll try the other connections as well, but even if only USB works, it's still Android Auto working on the Vline!

Last edited by kennytbone; 01-22-19 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-22-19, 05:43 PM
steeven001
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kennytbone
Sweet fancy Moses! I just tried the trial version on my VL1 with USB and it worked perfectly! I'll try the other connections as well, but even if only USB works, it's still Android Auto working on the Vline!
Awesome thanks for the feedback. It does have WiFi and WiFi direct as connection methods but I'm not sure how stable they are but I would think that those methods would drain battery life because it's like running a hotspot.

I didn't even know there was a trial version otherwise I would of posted that link as well. Here it is if anyone wants to try it out and get some Android auto.

Headunit Reloaded Trial for Android Auto

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gb.xxy.trial

I've been waiting for Android auto on the vline before purchasing but if this works I may pull the trigger early

Last edited by steeven001; 01-22-19 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-22-19, 07:59 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

stop asking. If you ask, you’ll get an answer that won’t be accurate. When it comes, it comes.
Old 01-23-19, 03:24 AM
zildjian89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My VL2 is on the way and I’m looking for a video or tutorials on how to install the unit. Also, if there’s turorials on how and where to put the mic and GPS receiver. Like how to remove the headliner and stuff. Thank you in advance!
Old 01-23-19, 06:36 AM
Neles
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's an ISF, Grom has youtube videos on how to remove the center console and make the connections. Recommend area to mount the VL unit is in the glove box.

- There is a little passage way where you can route the cables (power and display) in the back to get through the glove box.
- In the back of the glove box, there is a little cover which you can just pop out and pull the wires through there. Again, it's easier to get the wires through the back of the radio to the glove box instead of vice-versa.

- For the mic, no need to remove any headliner. I installed mine next to the factory mic in the sunroof console. To remove the console, pop open the sunglasses holder and there should be 2 screws. Take those out and you should carefully pop off the entire console. Now you can route the mic through there and install on the empty perforated space.
- To route the mic,there is a plastic trim to the right of the glove box which pops off (by passenger side door). You can route the mic wire through there and by the door trim. Then route it through the front of the headliner (windshield). You can use a plastic tool to tuck it in. Then route it to the sunroof console.
- GPS i left in the glove box. I use apple carplay exclusively, so i'm not sure of the stability, although most left in the glove box as well.

Last edited by Neles; 01-23-19 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-23-19, 09:49 AM
zildjian89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neles
If it's an ISF, Grom has youtube videos on how to remove the center console and make the connections. Recommend area to mount the VL unit is in the glove box.

- There is a little passage way where you can route the cables (power and display) in the back to get through the glove box.
- In the back of the glove box, there is a little cover which you can just pop out and pull the wires through there. Again, it's easier to get the wires through the back of the radio to the glove box instead of vice-versa.

- For the mic, no need to remove any headliner. I installed mine next to the factory mic in the sunroof console. To remove the console, pop open the sunglasses holder and there should be 2 screws. Take those out and you should carefully pop off the entire console. Now you can route the mic through there and install on the empty perforated space.
- To route the mic,there is a plastic trim to the right of the glove box which pops off (passenger side door). You can route the mic wire through there and by the door trim. Then route it though the front of the headliner (windshield). You can use a plastic tool to tuck it in. Then route it to the sunroof console.
- GPS i left in the glove box. I use apple carplay exclusively, so i'm not sure of the stability, although most left in the glove box as well.

Thank you so much for the detailed response.
Do you think you can take pictures of the route of the mic? Just to make sure I am imagining your input right. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?