IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Newbie ISF owner

Old 09-20-16, 11:39 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 360 Posts
Default Newbie ISF owner

Hello,

I just purchased a 2008 Lexus ISF last saturday with 58.5k miles and have been lurking the forums to try to get as much info as I can.

I live in the Simi Valley / Moorpark area and wanted to know if anyone in the Los Angeles and Ventura area recommend a dealer or any independent mechanic experienced with IS-Fs.

My 60k maintinenece is coming up and I wanted some feedback on shops / dealers you use.

Thanks you!
Old 09-21-16, 12:48 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Welcome you will love the car are you planing any mods RR Racing are your friend enjoy.
Old 09-21-16, 01:51 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Welcome to the forums and the IS F family!

It might be a bit of a distance for you, but Tommy @ MusicBox in South El Monte is pretty much the go to guy for most installations and mechanical work on the car. I know there are also some vendors here who are quite trusted by many members, so definitely search around and see what fits your needs and time.

60k check up should be oil change, filter change, spark plugs (maybe), and while you're at it, do check on the recalls. A good number of 08 Fs needed water pump replacement too. It can't hurt to have it all done at once, though you'll just be without your F for a few days.

Other than that, enjoy your F! You'll soon find out that you won't be immune to the mod bug once you constantly check the forums.
Old 09-21-16, 07:31 AM
cvt
Racer

Thanks for the replies guys. No modding for now at least. Just excited to learn about the car as much as I can ( I haven't even paired my phone on the Bluetooth yet).

I'all give Tommy @ MusicBox a call and see. Was wondering if there was any place closer as El Monte is a good 55min away so about 1.5 hours. I don't mind the drive but for a full service like the 60k I'd be there the whole day.

I registered the car at Lexus so I was able to find past service records. It seemed like the previous owner took very good care of the car and installed new front brakes and rotors and new rear tires. So I got lucky there. I called around for spark plug labor and it seems to range from $400 - $550. I looked at amazon and they sell Denso 3473 spark plugs (OEM?) for $7.50 ea.

Is this info correct so far?

Thanks for for all the help guys!
Old 09-21-16, 08:42 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

welcome, you're going to love your F. my suggestion for an independent mech isn't gonna be much closer but i'll throw it out there. Lexology in Redondo Beach. been taking my car to Mike for many, many years and my wife's lexus', too. i'm at 60k so been shopping around for prices. lexology will charge $285 for oem spark plugs. along w/ that i'm gonna do the brake fluid flush, about $100 and the rear diff fluid, also about $90 to $100. the other things they do is engine air filter, cabin filter, and adjust nuts, bolts, etc. the spark plugs are generally not included in the 60K service. not sure about the dealer. so, i'm just doing things ala carte. the in cabin filter you can change easily by yourself; just youtube it.
Old 09-21-16, 09:03 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Also you can do the plugs yourself in about 2 hours or so for the first time with the right tools and save yourself that quoted $400-550! There are some DIY threads on that.........
Old 09-21-16, 12:39 PM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

congrats and welcome to the F family!!!
Old 09-21-16, 12:43 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the Socal F family
Old 09-21-16, 01:02 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Welcome aboard!
Old 09-21-16, 01:31 PM
cvt
Racer

Thanks guys!

So ive called Tommy at Musicbox and he said he never touches the engine and would it perform a spark plug service. But he'll do any suspension, brakes, audio, and exhaust.

I'll definitely check out the DYI threads to see how difficult it is to replace the spark plugs. My
mechnical expertise is probably a 4 out of 10. I can replace front bumpers, intakes, and engine and cabin filters all day long but not sure how heavily involved the spark plug replacement is. I tried to do it on my G37 and it was a PITA! I wound up getting it done somewhere else.

Thanks again guys...and are the denso plugs I spec'd correct for OEM? Amazon states so but not sure how much I can trust it.

Been reading through a lot of threads and articles and this is a great site. Thanks again for helping a newbie out!
Old 09-21-16, 05:10 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats on the F. My friend an ex ISF owner does my maintenance he lives in Simi Valley very cool guy I just provide the parts he does the labor . Recently did the spark plugs oil change and rear differential gear oil change at his house. If you want I can pm you his information.
Old 09-21-16, 05:15 PM
cvt
Racer

Originally Posted by Miqueaseli
Congrats on the F. My friend an ex ISF owner does my maintenance he lives in Simi Valley very cool guy I just provide the parts he does the labor . Recently did the spark plugs oil change and rear differential gear oil change at his house. If you want I can pm you his information.
That would be great if you PM'd me his info. I would appreciate that very much! Just give him a heads up so that he doesn't think a weirdo is just giving him a call.
Old 09-21-16, 07:17 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Congrats & welcome!

To maximize your enjoyment of this fine automobile, I advise you to find a nearby HPDE event and F the track!

-Mike
Old 09-22-16, 12:42 AM
cciepunk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and welcome to CL.
Old 09-22-16, 06:05 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Welcome to the family! Like someone mentioned, check out RR Racing for performance parts! Amazon and eBay are your friend for most parts like the cabin filters, oil filters, rotors are a killer deal from ebay for all 4 corners, OEM. I had a hard time deciding for the spark plugs at 60k service myself. I decided to get the NGK 1 step colder from RR Racing. I'm actually getting them done this Sunday. I read nothing but great things, thus far. You might want to consider those. Either way! Enjoy your ride!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie ISF owner