Project Mu NS400 and OEM rotor quick review

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-16, 08:29 AM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
Do your Stoptechs squeel like mine did?
Yes they do but I really don't notice it since I drive with the windows closed all the time.
Old 08-31-16, 03:08 PM
willstroo
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NSXGuy
I currently have Stop Tech pads with the OEM rotors. The best thing about them is the price. Cost about 1/3 of what oem pads costs. As much or more dust than the oem pads and a bit less stopping power. I'm going with one of Project Mu pads next time. Just haven't decided on which one yet.
Man im reading such mixed reviews, some say no dust and no squeel, others say more dust and squeel..
Old 08-31-16, 03:28 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Consider this fair warning--don't buy the Stoptechs. Get ready for massive brake dust and squeal. Even when I hand cleaned the calipers etc with a brush in every direction possible, they would be quiet for one day and then start squeeling again once the dust accumulated. Even worse is the material they transfer to the rotors if they are wet when you shut down for the night. Next day you will have a pad shaped section of rusty crud on your rotor that takes a couple of days to wear away while it feels like there is gravel in your brakes when stopping and like your rotors are completely warped.

Not sure how else to sway your opinion unless it's all about price. I just spent 1000$ on new parts just to get rid of those pads and the embarrassing squeeling that everyone around you notices. And I can safely say it was among the best 1000$ I've spent.

Old 08-31-16, 04:25 PM
willstroo
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
Consider this fair warning--don't buy the Stoptechs. Get ready for massive brake dust and squeal. Even when I hand cleaned the calipers etc with a brush in every direction possible, they would be quiet for one day and then start squeeling again once the dust accumulated. Even worse is the material they transfer to the rotors if they are wet when you shut down for the night. Next day you will have a pad shaped section of rusty crud on your rotor that takes a couple of days to wear away while it feels like there is gravel in your brakes when stopping and like your rotors are completely warped.

Not sure how else to sway your opinion unless it's all about price. I just spent 1000$ on new parts just to get rid of those pads and the embarrassing squeeling that everyone around you notices. And I can safely say it was among the best 1000$ I've spent.
Hooooley doooley! Ok then. I do NOT want more dust than OEM, the whole point of changing for me is to get less dust. So i will start looking into the prices of Project Mu. They do cost about twice as much though.
Old 08-31-16, 04:43 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Yeah, they do, but they really are worth it in the long run. I bought the car with the Stoptechs on it and they only have 7k miles on them, but it cost be time and money to replace them. Id suggest to just do it right the first time.
Old 09-01-16, 03:33 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Washed the car for the first time since getting the pads and not much dust came off. Nice. This makes washing the car so much easier.

After some more experience with the pads I think I can describe the braking of the NS400s as almost biphasic: when you initially step on the pedal you get good, smooth stopping, but press a little harder and the stopping power seems to go up exponentially. A really nice set up for the street. Even though the initial bite is gentle, which is good for smoothness, you just need to press a bit harder to get into really good braking. Couldn't be happier overall.

Old 09-01-16, 06:20 AM
K2sInteg98
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like my ns400 pads. I have ns400 pads in the front and oem rears and i think they have about the same dust rate. Its night and day difference the dust compared to oem fronts. They are definitely a good street driving pad. I however do miss the initial bite of the oem pads. As mentioned, you lose the nice hard initial bite of the oem pads, which yes it does make for smoother braking, but ive been in a hand full of situations where i've gotten cut off or had to hit the brakes hard and my confidence in stopping wasn't like it was when i had oem pads.
Old 09-01-16, 09:36 AM
Jz39
Advanced

We need Project Mu to make NS600 pads!!
Old 09-01-16, 12:20 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by K2sInteg98
I like my ns400 pads. I have ns400 pads in the front and oem rears and i think they have about the same dust rate. Its night and day difference the dust compared to oem fronts. They are definitely a good street driving pad. I however do miss the initial bite of the oem pads. As mentioned, you lose the nice hard initial bite of the oem pads, which yes it does make for smoother braking, but ive been in a hand full of situations where i've gotten cut off or had to hit the brakes hard and my confidence in stopping wasn't like it was when i had oem pads.
The brake pad isn't your limitation in an emergency braking situation - it's the tire itself. Every time I've needed judicious brake application like that the tires give out first.
Old 09-01-16, 12:25 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^True, but he's talking about initial brake bite. When the tires give, they skid. I have Ferodo DS2500/PM HC+800 combo, and my initial bite is outstanding, and I luv the feel. But with a high initial bite pad, you do need to get yourself acclimated, but once you do - It's absolutely GREAT

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 09-01-16 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-01-16, 05:59 PM
K2sInteg98
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^True, but he's talking about initial brake bite. When the tires give, they skid. I have Ferodo DS2500/PM HC+800 combo, and my initial bite is outstanding, and I luv the feel. But with a high initial bite pad, you do need to get yourself acclimated, but once you do - It's absolutely GREAT

Lou
Exactly. I used to be used to pressing the pedal down with a certain amount of pressure and having the car stop a lot more abruptly, whereas now, you gotta apply a lot more pedal pressure to stop quickly. Like I said, its a great street pad, just remember it takes a little more pedal pressure to stop vs oem
Old 09-02-16, 10:00 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by willstroo
Hooooley doooley! Ok then. I do NOT want more dust than OEM, the whole point of changing for me is to get less dust. So i will start looking into the prices of Project Mu. They do cost about twice as much though.
StopTechs here with zero issues. No squealing and about 40% less dust. I broke them in exactly as stated on their website. Just another opinion.
Old 09-02-16, 01:09 PM
empathy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Had Stoptech's in the past and they were bad. Not in an IS-F, but won't ever get them again.