IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Track guys,how many bars oil temp is normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-16, 08:46 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post4631162

Helpful information here. There is no documentation on the newer oil temperature gauge, so you can either assume it is similar to the '08, or assume it is different.

I've never seen more than 3 bars in normal driving, and I've seen one bar from the top on a 102 degree day at Carolina Motorsports Park while in the green group. As I got faster, I had lower oil temperatures, probably because I am carrying more speed so there is better airflow and less average load on the engine.
Old 07-28-16, 12:20 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

This is a big problem for us at the track and has gotten worse the more we have pushed handling improvements and braking. We can get about 4 laps in before hitting the warning. If we short-shift we can sustain tracking for substantially longer but obviously get much less out of the car. We have pushed to thicker viscosity oil to maintain the same viscosity at the elevated temperatures but it seems to also be related to the amount of elevation change and high g cornering the particular track has. We are prototyping a side mounted oil cooler right now and testing it in conjunction with the long-tube PPE EL headers. It mounts in the passenger side wheel well behind the bumper because in order to get the most temperature differential we cannot add one more thing in front of the radiator, which is already stressed. Its thermostatic and augments the oil-water cooler so you still get the benefits of the coolant. What we found is that with continued elevated oil temps then the coolant will go over temp next. Our solution will use a factory fog light hole and pressurize the front of the cooler core for higher efficiency. We also have 2 core sizes we can use for high HP applications and supercharging. 2 core options, mounting to the left of the air dam plate.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 08-06-16, 08:26 AM
PedroRedon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

This is a video from our track where oil and water temperature reached the numbers that I gave in my previous post.

Sorry for the sound but for I dont know for which reason they were requesting drivers to go to the track with the windows at mid level.

It´s in Dominican Republic, right next to the sea.
Old 08-06-16, 07:24 PM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroRedon
Hello,

This is a video from our track where oil and water temperature reached the numbers that I gave in my previous post.

Autodromo Las Americas ISF 11' - YouTube

Sorry for the sound but for I dont know for which reason they were requesting drivers to go to the track with the windows at mid level.

It´s in Dominican Republic, right next to the sea.
Very nice driving! I'm taking mine out to the track tomorrow, NJMP - Lightning, best time I was able to turn out last time was 1m19sec, we'll see what'll do now with Tune+Exhaust and Penske Tuned Suspension, these are the only additional upgrades from the last time and I'll register oil temps as it suppose to be around 90's tomorrow, but I'm running the RR Racing Oil Cooler.

Last edited by bbong; 08-07-16 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-20-18, 09:09 AM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

I was running at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway two weekends ago and after about 10 minutes of 5000-6800RPM the oil temp was maxed out and the oil temp light was flashing. Temps were in the low-mid 80s. I had to back off and short shift for a lap to let it cool down a bit which takes some fun out. In later sessions I left it in Drive and let the transmission do it’s thing and the oil still would get about 3/4 of the way to max in a 20 minute session so I could run as fast as the transmission allowed for the whole time but some of the fun factor was lost.
Old 02-20-18, 12:40 PM
graphX250
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

I have not seen more then 3.
slightly off topic but possible it relates. I noticed that from previous svc records 5w30 mobile one full synthetic is what was used in my 2012 F. What are some opinions on what viscosity to use with F's that are being tracked vs daily driven? I'm sure it might differ based on mileage, mods, location, etc.
Old 02-20-18, 06:40 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
But no one knows what a bar represents...
The following users liked this post:
kitabel (02-21-18)
Old 02-21-18, 07:51 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by j3ff
As Lobuxracer mentioned, this only applies to 08-10 year models, however. The '11 and up has a different gauge.

I'll likely not have my RRR oil cooler installed for my 3/17 track day at CoTA, so we'll see what happens... Had overheating last summer with sustained 95F temps there, but curious how it does with all the mods and in cooler weather.
Old 03-02-18, 09:34 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Spent that last few weeks wrapping up our ducted design for production. We will also work on a downward ducted version for those not wanting to lose a foglight. We will also offer a motorsports version for the hardcore, but this has exceeded our performance expectations over the last 2 years. Eliminating oil issues in conjunction with reduced coolant temps as well on track in a variety of ambient temperatures. Worth 2 bars of cooling from the above chart and we are making it very easy to install. Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 03-02-18, 10:19 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

2013, 4 bars since day one of owning it.

Still 4 bar when pushed during street duty, no track.

Redline Oil 5W-30
Old 03-08-18, 01:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I tracked the **** out of mine and high engine oil temp is the Achilles heal of the ISF in any hard driving situation with heat. My oil temp was usually at or near max on track. In the summer I could raise the temp on the street if I was super aggressive. Same thing happens with the RCF band LC500.
Old 03-09-18, 09:23 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Raising the bars in the ISF's oil temp - or any car with a manual shifting option, auto clutch or not - is easy and can be done on command. I haven't tracked my car but bring it to 4 bars in spirited driving before I do any oil changes & particularly when I'm doing a BG EPR treatment. I have never exceeded 4 bars simply because I don't keep the engine revving high in lower gears for an extended time. I very seldom hit 4 bars and I drive the car the way it was meant to be driven - but no, I do not track it. I run Mobil 1.

People's driving styles at the track or anywhere for that matter will dictate how high the bars will go. Not to say different oil won't make a difference of course. But stating "I track my car and saw this" is not enough data to really determine if a certain car or situation requires investigation.

If I was at the track and my car's oil temp maxxed out, or I got a warning, I would adjust my driving style first.
Old 03-09-18, 10:01 AM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

I've maxed out my oil temperature to the blinking indicator light on track days because I'm keeping my car between 5000-6800RPM and it takes roughly 10 minutes to get there in mid 80 degree outside temps. You can easily change your driving style so the oil isn't as hot but that would include short shifting and/or putting the transmission in Drive. Either options takes out some of the fun as well as slower lap times. The only real solution is to install larger or secondary oil cooler kit like what Figs or RR-Racing have.
Old 03-12-18, 05:28 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I tracked the **** out of mine and high engine oil temp is the Achilles heal of the ISF in any hard driving situation with heat. My oil temp was usually at or near max on track. In the summer I could raise the temp on the street if I was super aggressive. Same thing happens with the RCF band LC500.
The same thing does not happen with the RCF. RCF has a large side mounted oil cooler on one side, and tranny cooler on the other. Even with the supercharger, RCF oil temps remain normal.

If you track your ISF, its a no brainer to get an oil cooler. In the long run, high oil temps will accelerate weakening of the OEM cast piston. That is because in extreme situations the top of the pistons reach temperatures that are at or exceed their solution heat treatment temperature, and with time, that will cause a weakening of the piston. Our pistons are cooled by oil squirters which direct a stream of oil to the bottom of the piston in order to cool them. The other problem with high piston temps is that it potentially leads to ring gap closure on the top compression ring... and this leads to cracking of the piston ring land, the most common failure mode in our engines.

We have taken apart heavily tracked ISF engines, and have found that bearings are extremely robust, and show no wear signs, even on heavily tracked cars with no supplementary oil cooling.

Rafi

PS. Our large 25 row Setrab oil cooler is designed to work with or without our supercharger. Side mounting the oil cooler in the fog light duct will not allow fitment of the intercooler and intake piping.
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Last edited by RRRacing; 03-12-18 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-13-18, 03:08 AM
IronNam
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS
Spent that last few weeks wrapping up our ducted design for production. We will also work on a downward ducted version for those not wanting to lose a foglight. We will also offer a motorsports version for the hardcore, but this has exceeded our performance expectations over the last 2 years. Eliminating oil issues in conjunction with reduced coolant temps as well on track in a variety of ambient temperatures. Worth 2 bars of cooling from the above chart and we are making it very easy to install. Mike
Looks beautiful, excited to see what the foglight version looks like.

I was taking the 2011 ISF through the mountains here, ~45*F ambient temps, night time, 32miles long (how do I know? because that's where the next gas station is lol), and it would take me 15-20 minutes to blast through there. At full tilt with driving speeds from longer corners 2nd and 3rd gear, sometimes touching 120mph, and the last half being very tight 2nd gear turns with an extremely harsh downhill rotor shredder, the ISF went two bars up, basically one bar above half on the 2011s.

Do you intend making a pullthrough fan on the back of the cooler by any chance?

Quick Reply: Track guys,how many bars oil temp is normal?