Used ISF w/catless PPE & Borla

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-16, 12:21 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used ISF w/catless PPE & Borla

Hey guys,

Considering purchasing an 08 ISF in my area. It is currently listed as having PPE headers with a Borla exhaust. The add specifically says no cats and they confirmed over the phone. I originally owned an ISF with Joe Z back when they appeared in 08 prior to headers being on the scene. My concern is buying a car which will most likely not pass emissions in IL.

Am I making too much of this or is their an easy fix? Just wanted some opinions on what people have done in the past. Also wondering how I could make this a bargaining chip if I decide to make an offer.

I have read a handful of threads but the results varied so much state to state. Any and all help is welcome.

Thanks!
Old 06-29-16, 12:26 PM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if you have a cheap obd2 dongle you can see the status of the readiness monitors to see if the o2 sensors are ready (illinois air team will scan for this)

otherwise i would look up rafi and simon at RR-racing and see if their tune can address any potential problems
Old 06-29-16, 12:28 PM
STANC36
Rookie

Originally Posted by DRE1615
Hey guys,

Considering purchasing an 08 ISF in my area. It is currently listed as having PPE headers with a Borla exhaust. The add specifically says no cats and they confirmed over the phone. I originally owned an ISF with Joe Z back when they appeared in 08 prior to headers being on the scene. My concern is buying a car which will most likely not pass emissions in IL.

Am I making too much of this or is their an easy fix? Just wanted some opinions on what people have done in the past. Also wondering how I could make this a bargaining chip if I decide to make an offer.

I have read a handful of threads but the results varied so much state to state. Any and all help is welcome.

Thanks!
Buy some high flow cats and let an exhaust shop weld them in. Done.

Pretty sure it would pass emissions without them, as far as I know OBD2 cars emission test is just reading out the Computer, and if there's no error it'll pass.
Old 06-29-16, 12:34 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by STANC36
Buy some high flow cats and let an exhaust shop weld them in. Done.

Pretty sure it would pass emissions without them, as far as I know OBD2 cars emission test is just reading out the Computer, and if there's no error it'll pass.
Thanks for the recommendation. Any idea on costs to do this if I were to use as a negotiation tool?
Old 06-29-16, 12:56 PM
STANC36
Rookie

Thanks for the recommendation. Any idea on costs to do this if I were to use as a negotiation tool?
On pricing I can't tell you much. I'm German, and I guess our costs will be different. Maybe someone local to you can chime in
Old 06-29-16, 01:24 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by STANC36
On pricing I can't tell you much. I'm German, and I guess our costs will be different. Maybe someone local to you can chime in
Sorry just noticed that!
Old 06-29-16, 02:18 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Your initial post indicated the car is currently located in your area. Is it currently licensed & registered in Illinois?
Old 06-29-16, 02:41 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tas02
Your initial post indicated the car is currently located in your area. Is it currently licensed & registered in Illinois?
Not sure exactly how to confirm. Carfax shows three previous owners and it originated from NY. It has been in IL since 2011, registration was last renewed on 6/4/2015 and passed emissions last on 5/12/14 at 39k.
Old 06-29-16, 03:23 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

The PPE Headers came with 02 simulators so that you can pass emissions.

If for some reason they stop working you can either purchase the 120.00 dollar item below or go all out with an ECU Tune that will delete the emissions 02 sensors.

http://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-O...o2ss000001.htm

http://www.rr-racing.com/category-s/216.htm

So at most, it would cost 120.00 to make the car pass emissions.
Old 06-29-16, 04:20 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
The PPE Headers came with 02 simulators so that you can pass emissions.

If for some reason they stop working you can either purchase the 120.00 dollar item below or go all out with an ECU Tune that will delete the emissions 02 sensors.

http://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-O...o2ss000001.htm

http://www.rr-racing.com/category-s/216.htm

So at most, it would cost 120.00 to make the car pass emissions.
Exactly!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 06-29-16, 06:49 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Drove the car tonight. Holy crap was it loud. A lot louder than I remembered my 08 with the Joe Z exhaust. Question for PPE guys with cat backs. The car felt like something was a little off. Throttle response didn't seem quite as sharp. Car bounced around a little at idle, dropping and jumping almost to the point of stalling it felt like a some points. We also had one time going around a corner slowly in second gear, I lightly applied the gas and the car started bucking like a manual car that wasn't engaging the clutch properly. The salesman said it has never happened before, and said they had just replaced the battery and perhaps that did something to the "tune" as he referred to it. What do you guys think? Thanks
Old 06-29-16, 07:15 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Drove the car tonight. Holy crap was it loud. A lot louder than I remembered my 08 with the Joe Z exhaust. Question for PPE guys with cat backs. The car felt like something was a little off. Throttle response didn't seem quite as sharp. Car bounced around a little at idle, dropping and jumping almost to the point of stalling it felt like a some points. We also had one time going around a corner slowly in second gear, I lightly applied the gas and the car started bucking like a manual car that wasn't engaging the clutch properly. The salesman said it has never happened before, and said they had just replaced the battery and perhaps that did something to the "tune" as he referred to it. What do you guys think? Thanks
If you are serious, maybe ask to have it inspected at a local Lexus dealership? If you go the cat route, I would suggest some GESI HO-Series Catalytic Converters. They are a bit expensive at $400 something each, but they are top notch all around and claim virtually no loss of exhaust flow. I'm actually in the works getting some of these installed myself as I'm tired of swapping back to stock exhaust for yearly inspections in my state. Not to mention i'm tired of the smell.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...615771316be9a4
Old 06-29-16, 07:31 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have PPE headers w/Borla exhaust (no primary or secondary cats) and I passed emissions here in AZ just fine. They just did an OBD port test, no visual inspection or sniffer test or anything like that. I've read that some have actually passed a sniffer test with no cats, but it definitely won't pass a visual inspection. So it all depends on how strict the emissions tests are in your state, and whether or not you get lucky with the inspector. I always try to go at the busiest times when they are trying to get cars through as quickly as possible. You better believe if you pull up and there's no one else there they will take extra time to inspect your car.

Last edited by jleonard71; 06-29-16 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-29-16, 07:36 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The ECU does "tune" itself as you drive and it learns from your driving style, and when the battery is disconnected that is reset. I have the exact same setup and have also experienced slightly "off" performcance after disconnecting my battery. It will feel a little unusual at first, but it will adapt to your driving as it relearns everything. Mine is still a little out of sorts after replacing my battery a few weeks ago, so I'm guessing the process takes a few hundred miles.

Also, with my car I have noticed if I let it idle with the A/C off it idles very low, around 700rpm, and almost feels like it's going to stall out. But with the A/C on it idles more normal, around 1100rpm.

Last edited by jleonard71; 06-29-16 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-30-16, 04:08 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jleonard71
Also, with my car I have noticed if I let it idle with the A/C off it idles very low, around 700rpm, and almost feels like it's going to stall out. But with the A/C on it idles more normal, around 1100rpm.
Both those numbers seem too high... Mine idles ~700 with AC on..

-Mike

Quick Reply: Used ISF w/catless PPE & Borla