Installed new pads; However Not making Full contact on rotor

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-16, 03:59 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Installed new pads; However Not making Full contact on rotor

Hey guys,

I need help, I recently had stoptech pads however they were producing too much brake dust, so i replaced them with Duralast Gold a couple of days ago, They brake pretty good and i used to have them on my previous cars.

The issue I am having is that it's not making full contact and i am noticing a ring of rust around the rotor on both sides.

Any ideas?
Name:  IMG_0454_zpshdn0sd9l.jpg
Views: 6185
Size:  139.7 KBName:  IMG_0455_zpsgsppmwhn.jpg
Views: 5965
Size:  151.2 KB

Last edited by jdm_altzza; 06-28-16 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-28-16, 04:08 PM
KSLAM
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Rotors should be replaced as well as the pads. BUT..... You can get away with resurfacing the rotor so that its a perfectly smooth surface for the new pads to bed itself into.
Old 06-28-16, 04:27 PM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Just give it time, the pads will need to work-in to adjust to the rotor's surface. This could take a few hundred km.
Old 06-28-16, 04:38 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Thanks guys, I mean they brake perfect no issues. I will give them a few hundred miles and see how it goes.
Old 06-28-16, 06:50 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by KSLAM
Rotors should be replaced as well as the pads. BUT..... You can get away with resurfacing the rotor so that its a perfectly smooth surface for the new pads to bed itself into.
Nope. When new pads are installed, there is no reason to replace the rotors if they are still in spec. As far as resurfacing goes - Unless the rotors are not smooth and have developed high spots causing juddering when braking, it's not necessary and only serves to grind off rotor material.

But, IMHO, Durlalast AutoZone brake pads have no place on an ISF or any vehicle equipped with Brembo calipers. They're fine for a Camry or an Accord, but an ISF is capable of so much more, that it certainly deserves more.

Lou
Old 06-28-16, 07:40 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

But, IMHO, Durlalast AutoZone brake pads have no place on an ISF or any vehicle equipped with Brembo calipers. They're fine for a Camry or an Accord, but an ISF is capable of so much more, that it certainly deserves more.

Lou[/QUOTE]

To each his own my brotha... i tried a lot of different brands of brake pads and to my conclusion these have been the best thus far (less brake dust and good braking). I can't see myself spending 300$ on brake pads.

Alot of guys I know with F's are running these without any issues. I do not track my car so no worries.

But thanks Lou for your feedback.
Old 06-29-16, 10:19 AM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you bed the new pads in?
Old 06-29-16, 10:33 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jdm_altzza
To each his own my brotha... i tried a lot of different brands of brake pads and to my conclusion these have been the best thus far (less brake dust and good braking). I can't see myself spending 300$ on brake pads.

Alot of guys I know with F's are running these without any issues. I do not track my car so no worries.

But thanks Lou for your feedback.
I asked the previous owner which pads were installed on my F because myself and other F owners were curious as to which pads were installed because mine seem to dust very little even compared to stock and to my amazement they were the Durlast Gold. I've done an autocross or two and they seemed to hold up ok. Sure there are lots of better 'track' or aggressive pads but for normal/spirited driving I think these work just fine as an alternative to stock pads.
Old 06-29-16, 10:53 AM
KSLAM
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidtek
I asked the previous owner which pads were installed on my F because myself and other F owners were curious as to which pads were installed because mine seem to dust very little even compared to stock and to my amazement they were the Durlast Gold. I've done an autocross or two and they seemed to hold up ok. Sure there are lots of better 'track' or aggressive pads but for normal/spirited driving I think these work just fine as an alternative to stock pads.
Literally 1% of the F community actually have the time and money to "track" their cars. The rest of us are just enthusiast 😊
Old 06-29-16, 10:55 AM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

The pads are still bedding in, I have not driven the car 100 miles yet as I work close from my home. However they are stopping pretty good w/o any issues. I will be taking a road trip soon and will confirm my results.
Old 06-29-16, 11:14 AM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

what are your impressions on the duralast golds?

i'm running them on my sti and getting lifetime pads can't be beat although the bite leaves something to be desired
Old 06-29-16, 11:16 AM
Esader
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Duralast Gold Pads are pretty good. They're actually manufactured by Bosch and follow OE Design and Friction.
Old 06-29-16, 02:17 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdm_altzza
The pads are still bedding in, I have not driven the car 100 miles yet as I work close from my home. However they are stopping pretty good w/o any issues. I will be taking a road trip soon and will confirm my results.
Still bedding in? What is the method you are using to bed them in?
That is probably the reason behind why your pads aren't making full contact with the rotor.
Old 06-29-16, 02:27 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^Different pad manufacturer's recommend bed-in procedures. I looked and couldn't find one for the DuraLast pads. Non performance pads seem have a different procedure than performance pads. See this:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=85

I would assume the Auto Zone pads fall into the gentle bed in category. Although, to me, it seems all wrong. I want to build up heat and transfer pad material right away.

Lou
Old 06-30-16, 11:18 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidtek
This. I put duralast golds on my car. No noise, minimal dust, and the car still stops on a dime. No complaints. I never noticed any decrease in stopping power after switching from the brembo pads. I'm sure I would have went with another choice if I were a track junkie, but for the average owner, they should work just fine.

As for bedding, I don't remember if I even looked at the Duralast instructions. I just did a few moderate not complete stops from about 40-50, and then a couple more hard.

Quick Reply: Installed new pads; However Not making Full contact on rotor