IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Really poor MPG... what should I replace?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-16, 04:37 PM
calteg
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 6i9
Before I start, I realize this is not a Prius. But I've owned an 08 USB ISF prior to this that regularly got 17 city/25 hwy MPG . Right now my 2011 ISF with ISSForged QED is getting 12 city/22 hwy on average.

I thought that it might be due to my right foot from wanting to hear the exhaust roar, but even when I am careful I can only manage 14 mpg combined at best. I checked my tire pressures to make sure they're at the factory spec so I don't think underinflation is causing my poor mileage.

I also had a CEL for bad O2 downstream sensors. I replaced them with new Denso units and cleared the CEL and it hasn't come back. My MPG has stayed the same though. No other CEL's.

What else could I change/check to make sure my car's engine is running as efficiently as possible? Air filter? Spark plugs? Should I run fuel injector cleaner at my next fill up?

Anyone else get really sub-par MPG even for an ISF? I feel like I'm getting as bad mileage as my friend's old C63 which has an even bigger engine than ours.
That's drastically worse gas mileage, something is wrong. I'd get someone with Techstream to verify that your upstream 02 sensors are reading correctly. Often a failing upstream 02 will throw a code for a failing downstream sensor.
Old 06-18-16, 04:45 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Gotta agree^^^^^^^I romp on my car pretty hard and I average at least 17-20ish every tank?? Something doesn't seem right with that mileage, like someone else said earlier that's like C63 fuel mileage!
Old 06-18-16, 06:51 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

MPG? What's that?
Old 06-19-16, 03:03 AM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chuyrobles
Yep, in most vehicles, turning on the defroster activates the AC compressor. The AC system humidifies the air, 'defrosting' the windshield quickly.
Dehumidifies.

Regarding summer and winter blends:
http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=11031

Check tire pressure as others have said. If you can check timing like with an OBD logger you might be able to correlate intake air temperatures with timing adjust,nets. With 91 octane there's not much room for error when temperatures rise and if the car is detecting knock at all it will pull timing and add fuel to the mixture. I can tell drastic differences in performance from a 70° day to a 90° day and my fuel economy sucks.

I have a feeling that the government is getting it wrong regarding newer cars and fuel combinations requirements for summer and winter. I get much better gas mileage in the winter and the opposite should be true because you're pulling in less dense air in the summer than in the winter and if the computer is adjusting correctly you should be getting better fuel mileage in the summer, not the winter. That's just my observation though. The regulations, as in everything the federal government does, tries to make all things equal all the time and that's just not the case. We're not one giant nameless faceless blob of people all driving one type of vehicle in the exact same manner.

Last edited by Bigjon3475; 06-19-16 at 03:13 AM.
Old 06-19-16, 08:27 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

" When you hear hoof steps, think horses not zebras". Look for the more obvious reasons first is all Im saying . Tire pressure, temps, AC operation , and a heavy foot are more than likely.
Old 06-19-16, 07:25 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

When I had an C63, 11.9 mpg... I assume similar driving, but i would sometimes downshift and blip more often because of the noise.
Old 06-19-16, 09:42 PM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

Low Rolling Resistance Tires,
Increase your tire PSI (worse ride quality by a bit, also only wears the middle but its can be dramatic of an increase),
Feather your gas as much as you can
Drive in snowmode and allow for the gradual increase of speed, works as the same concept as throttle controllers by retarding the throttle response
Old 06-19-16, 11:54 PM
quarius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this good? I think they need to make track days more fuel efficient, horrible mileage on the track for some reason.

Old 06-20-16, 01:07 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

This is the only acceptable time when MPG is that low. Even though we didn't get these cars for good gas economy, it's still relatively decent on gas. Jeff is just highlighting the fact that the car is that fun to drive and there isn't a need to really worry too much about it. Just enjoy the car and, presuming nothing is wrong with it mechanically or electrically, all should still point to a smile on your face when you drive it.
Old 06-20-16, 08:27 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

I didn't buy my F for it's "economy".
Old 06-20-16, 09:54 AM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickna
I didn't buy my F for it's "economy".
I don't think anybody here is arguing about how to make the ISF more economical on gas, obvious a few owners(myself included) are suffering from some issue, when you drive half *** on the throttle on a full tank of gas and still get 13.9 mpg, while everyone else that drives city along with spirited driving gets +18mpg. My tire pressure is not low, and I still get very poor mpg. 13mpg is what I also get on my MKIV Supra, which has more power than the F, is modified and I'm in 'spirited driving' mode.

Last edited by Fsport2UR; 06-20-16 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-21-16, 03:41 PM
6i9
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calteg
That's drastically worse gas mileage, something is wrong. I'd get someone with Techstream to verify that your upstream 02 sensors are reading correctly. Often a failing upstream 02 will throw a code for a failing downstream sensor.
Thanks for the suggestion. Will Techstream be able to detect a failing upstream o2 sensor even if no CEL are present?

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Definitely Tire Pressure is the most unchecked car maintenance item..

Needs to be checked / set once a month.. Driving in LA, I see people driving on half inflated tires all the time.

Also, you can reset your ECU by pulling the correct fuses.. This will erase the Long Term & Short Term fuel trims logs.

You can even erase and reset to ZERO both Fuel AVG indicators.

Last but not least, change the Engine Air Filter if it's old & dirty

Joe Z
Thanks Joe, what fuses need to be pulled to reset the ECU? I've checked my tire pressure and they match the door jam specs at cold temps
Old 06-21-16, 05:24 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Definitely Tire Pressure is the most unchecked car maintenance item..

Needs to be checked / set once a month.. Driving in LA, I see people driving on half inflated tires all the time.

Joe Z

and the funny thing to me is every time I go to the dealer I have to specifically tell them NOT to mess with my tire pressure.. door says 36 psi COLD. I drive to the dealer which is 30+ miles.. my tires are NOT COLD.
yet the idiots deflate them to 36PSI and the next morning after sitting on a cold cement garage floor the TPMS reads 31-32psi. and I lose 1-2mpg as a result of some idiot tech that doesn't understand the concept of cold vs. hot tires.
At road temp my TPMS typically shows 40-41 psi and with this heat wave we have right now it is showing as high as 43 psi after a 30-40 mile drive.

I've been fighting with dealers on this (GM, Chrysler, Toyota, and now Lexus) for 12 years since CAFE made it a requirement for them to check and inflate /deflate to the "CAFE Ideal PSI".
it got so bad with GM I was forced to install locking valve caps to keep them from deflating my tires.

Old 06-21-16, 07:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by quarius
is this good? I think they need to make track days more fuel efficient, horrible mileage on the track for some reason.

LMAO I know all about it