IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Rear Sunroof Drain Tube

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-16, 04:48 PM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Rear Sunroof Drain Tube

So I found out this afternoon that I have a leaking sunroof. Water has been draining into the rear driver's side passenger area and has soaked my carpet under my seat. And had standing water under my rear seat in the tray next to the fuel pump access.

Has anyone had this? After a quick search I found that the drain tubes can become clogged allowing for water to spill over or seep out. And sending some compressed air up the tube will clear it. But I do not know where the tube exits. Can anyone help?

I unfortunately cannot pull the interior apart the weekend because I have drill. So it will have to wait until next weekend to gut her again. I will also pull the headliner to check the condition of the tube.
Old 06-08-16, 07:52 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

I've had this happen to my other car, not the F.
Old 06-08-16, 10:24 PM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics? Would like to inspect mine before it gets to this point, but not sure exactly where you mean.
Old 06-08-16, 11:12 PM
av8or
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

I believe water from the sunroof drains to the inner left and right side of your rear bumper.. When i took off my rear bumper, i saw 2 tubes sticking out from both sides, right next to the trunk flaps, i think for the rear drain.. I could be wrong but usually a sunroof has 4 drains.. One on each corner...

Last edited by av8or; 06-08-16 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-09-16, 02:40 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lolfunxion
Pics? Would like to inspect mine before it gets to this point, but not sure exactly where you mean.
I will try to get some pics soon. I also had standing water in the back side of my sunroof track. Which caused me to search the sunroof leak. From what I saw on the search, the rear tube goes down the c pillar.

Av8or, I will check that out.

Rickna, what did you do about it?

I didnt see or feel any moisture on the headliner, which leads me to the tube being broke.
Old 06-09-16, 05:55 AM
Rickna
Racer

Originally Posted by Lmood
I will try to get some pics soon. I also had standing water in the back side of my sunroof track. Which caused me to search the sunroof leak. From what I saw on the search, the rear tube goes down the c pillar.

Av8or, I will check that out.

Rickna, what did you do about it?

I didnt see or feel any moisture on the headliner, which leads me to the tube being broke.
This happend on my Bimmer. The 1st time one of the front drains clogged, it was easy to get to and I just blew air down the tube. The 2nd time it was one of the rear drains. I had to remove the center & rear pillar covers and drop part of the headliner to get to the drain tube. It turned out that a broken piece of plastic from one of the guides was blocking the tube.
Old 06-09-16, 06:23 AM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happens in a ton of cars. Just FYI if you can get air you can always get pipe cleaners from the store. The ones you used to use in pre-school when making art projects like caterpillars. They ususually get clogged at the end of the tubes and that creates blocking.

Glad you found it in time before any serious damage.
Old 06-09-16, 06:27 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Ye the search came back and said dirt and other debris was blocking the tube. One person suggested shoving weed whacker line down to push it through. Others said to blow air up the tube. I HOPE that is the problem. I cannot see those lines breaking down on a car that is 8 years old already.
Old 06-09-16, 06:32 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by One2beH8ed
This happens in a ton of cars. Just FYI if you can get air you can always get pipe cleaners from the store. The ones you used to use in pre-school when making art projects like caterpillars. They ususually get clogged at the end of the tubes and that creates blocking.

It had started to cause an odor. I was switching the car seat over to my car for my wife since her ac is on the fritz and we live in Seattle Georgia, last night when I found out that the carpet was wet. I took the water hose to it to make sure my seals on the door and roof were still good when I started to rip out the door trip and rear seat when I remembered that sunroofs have drainage systems in them.
Old 06-09-16, 06:51 AM
Rickna
Racer

Originally Posted by One2beH8ed

Pipe cleaners-BRILLIANT!

Originally Posted by Lmood
It had started to cause an odor. I was switching the car seat over to my car for my wife since her ac is on the fritz and we live in Seattle Georgia, last night when I found out that the carpet was wet. I took the water hose to it to make sure my seals on the door and roof were still good when I started to rip out the door trip and rear seat when I remembered that sunroofs have drainage systems in them.
Baking soda for the musty odor.
Old 06-09-16, 07:02 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rickna
Pipe cleaners-BRILLIANT!

Baking soda for the musty odor.
Good tip. Don't know why that autocorrect said Seattle lol I typed in S. E.
Old 06-18-16, 09:05 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Welp, there's your problem, right there.Name:  IMG_20160618_095956461_HDR_zpsspq4poqc.jpg
Views: 10510
Size:  166.0 KB

The dang tube wasn't even connected! Water was just accumulating in the rear and found a hole to seep forward. Ive got my interior gutted drying out. I'm gunna do a good clean and condition on the seats, then tomorrow I will shampoo my carpet and all back together by tomorrow night. Hopefully.
Old 06-18-16, 10:23 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^^ Looks like there was body work & paint done on that rear quarter panel...

After tucking the drain tube out of the way, they never reconnected it after the work was completed..!!

SMH

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 06-18-16 at 10:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jbtvt (12-28-21)
Old 06-18-16, 10:46 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

I knew the car had been wrecked in some way before I bought it. Carfax said minor damage reported. I need to remove the other side to see if that tube is connected. Shame that this tube has been creating water damage for 4+ years.
Old 12-13-19, 09:25 AM
GPOM
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Solved Clogged Sunroof Rear Drain -Lexus RX 350

I found one rear sunroof drain was clogged by pouring water down the 4 drain holes and watching for water exiting behind the wheels. You can see the front drain holes but the rear drain openings are not accessible without tearing apart the interior. I took mine to the dealer. For $250 they removed the rear bumper to access the rear drain exit nipples and blew out the debris with compressed air. I waited for the service just 2 hours. This is a common problem on most older cars with sun roofs, and dealers are familiar with the easy fix.
The following users liked this post:
redspencer (12-13-19)

Quick Reply: Rear Sunroof Drain Tube