IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

RCF swap in ISF complete!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-22, 03:22 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 342 Likes on 216 Posts
Default RCF swap in ISF complete!

Seems like someone already got it done. Seems badass. Idk who it is but wish he was on here to tell us all the work that went into it.

https://youtube/2W0y94md2o8

Last edited by ISFpowered; 01-21-22 at 04:02 PM.

Popular Reply

01-22-22, 09:13 AM
JaMIKEca
10th Gear

Received 61 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello everyone, this is my car. My buddy Adam told me about this post so i'm here to answer a few questions and speculations. Yes i was boosted previously, the car made around 542whp on 5psi on an engine that had 260k miles. With this many miles i knew it was gonna eventually go out so i bought a spare motor and had it sitting when the car was at 255k. I used my high mileage engine to test and tune and do runs in mexico, trying to force it to blow up so i could install my new engine. These engines are so well built that even with that high mileage it wouldnt blow no matter how i abused it. So my new motor sat for about 3 months and exhausted the warranty. My motor finally blew the suspected headgasket as it started smoking alot at 260k miles. So i installed my new engine that i had sitting but that new engine turned out to be a bad engine. I resold that new bad engine and my turbo kit after my loss and purchased the RCF engine with the money as i stumbled on a great deal in ATL.

Now with this new swap, everything was plug and play. I used the RCF engine harness as well and it plugged right into the ISF ecu. I also have the RCF ecu but i didn't want to use that because the new can-bus system would have been problematic for the older ISF. So i compared both ecu pinouts that i received from my buddy Jake and switch the pins from the RCF engine harness to where they are on the ISF engine harness. I also had to repin a few junction connectors that also plugged up. My only challenge was the starter signal since that came from the immobilizer and not the ECU. With the atkinson and otto cycle, that doesn't affect anything since it's mechanical and VVT driven. How the cyle works is the RCF uses Atkinson cycle for fuel efficiency at lower rpm and switches to Otto cycle for power output at WOT. since i'm using the ISF ECU the engine will always be in an Otto cycle like the ISF which i believe is better for low end torque. Otto means it's always ready to make power, who needs atkinson for fuel efficiency in a sports car, right? But everything works great and completely like stock, with no check engine light.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike.
Old 01-03-22, 09:35 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

I saw that too! I wonder how hard the wiring was to integrate into the ISF electronics would be my big question. Like you said too bad he's not on this forum
Old 01-03-22, 09:39 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

He is in the "Community F" group on facebook, Michael Anglin

He said he re-pinned the RCF harness to the ISF ECU. There may be some questions about if the ISF ECU can take full advantage of the newer design. One big difference is the ISF is an otto cycle and the RCF is an atkinson.
Old 01-04-22, 08:20 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by 93MSB
He is in the "Community F" group on facebook, Michael Anglin

He said he re-pinned the RCF harness to the ISF ECU. There may be some questions about if the ISF ECU can take full advantage of the newer design. One big difference is the ISF is an otto cycle and the RCF is an atkinson.
That was my chief concern when I looked into this swap. Not only that, but the fuel pressure on the later model engine is higher, but won't be with the IS F ECM. I'm sure it runs, but I don't think it runs the same as the RC F/GS F/LC500 engines do.
The following 4 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
jdmek998 (01-07-22), Joe Z (01-04-22), viprez586 (01-04-22), WhyHateTho (01-04-22)
Old 01-04-22, 09:43 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

He needs to line up against an equivalent ISF mod for mod and see what the difference is in acceleration to see if it's even worth it or just a big experiment
Old 01-04-22, 11:20 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Yes I struggled a bit with keeping the RC F wire harness and repining it to the existing IS F ecus..
Let alone differences like Atkinson Cycle and fuel lines as mentioned by Lobuxracer.

How will it make its intended BHP

Original Video link fixed..

Cool video on RC F motor from many years back..

Joe Z
The following 4 users liked this post by Joe Z:
Cerevo (07-06-23), JT2MA71 (01-05-22), Rickna (01-04-22), viprez586 (01-04-22)
Old 01-04-22, 04:20 PM
viprez586
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That was my chief concern when I looked into this swap. Not only that, but the fuel pressure on the later model engine is higher, but won't be with the IS F ECM. I'm sure it runs, but I don't think it runs the same as the RC F/GS F/LC500 engines do.
Exactly.

Spend some time in just reviewing data between both ECMs and they are very different.
IIRC the ISF ECU is a 32bit processor and the blue top engines use a 86bit processor.
If I could run a next gen ECU I totally would, things like KCLV are now KAM, logging speed is perfect, more PIDs ,etc.
​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
JT2MA71 (01-05-22)
Old 01-05-22, 09:06 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Would definitely be great seeing him run a FBO ISF. I also noticed he use to have a turbo setup. Wonder what happened with that….probably blew it up.
Old 01-05-22, 09:27 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
Would definitely be great seeing him run a FBO ISF. I also noticed he use to have a turbo setup. Wonder what happened with that….probably blew it up.
He sold that turbo setup on FB. I asked him if it was reliable. Of course he said it was lol.

I really wish this were an easy swap. It’s a shame the engine is in the same family but we can’t easily do this.
Old 01-05-22, 04:39 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation No Boost or Tune is ever “reliable”

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
Originally Posted by Jwconeil
He sold that turbo setup on FB. I asked him if it was reliable. Of course he said it was lol.

I really wish this were an easy swap. It’s a shame the engine is in the same family but we can’t easily do this.

The original take out motor was sold last week for $2,000 - here’s the details on the listing @Jwconeil

“Selling a complete long block from a 2011 Lexus ISF, 2ur-gse 5.0L V8. The engine has 90k miles but has a tapping sound in the head. Can be repaired or used for parts. I also have the matching transmission with 90k miles for an additional $500 as a package deal. Perfect for someone looking for a swap for a shell if you have time to diagnose the loud tap, could be something simple. Pick up only in Southwest Florida.”

Joe Z
lobuxracer (01-06-22)
Old 01-05-22, 04:41 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Guess I was right! Semi blown for 2k
lobuxracer (01-06-22)
Old 01-06-22, 07:50 PM
illwillem
Pit Crew

Received 446 Likes on 132 Posts

I do believe that our ISF's also run Atkinson cycle in normal driving and snow modes and switch to Otto when you engage sport mode, just like the RCF GSF.
Old 01-06-22, 08:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by illwillem
I do believe that our ISF's also run Atkinson cycle in normal driving and snow modes and switch to Otto when you engage sport mode, just like the RCF GSF.
If they do, it's not documented anywhere in TIS. I've been quite literally all through the New Car Features and there's nothing there about it. It's definitely in the RC F NCF.
Old 01-06-22, 09:39 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

from A closer look at the Lexus IS F V8 engine - Lexus UK Magazine

"From its introduction in 2008, the venerable 2UR-GSE has gone on to power the Lexus RC F and GS F models, as well as the flagship LC 500 coupe. During that decade it has been subject to further refinements that have resulted in a headline output of 471bhp at 7,100rpm and the ability to switch between Otto and Atkinson combustion cycles to optimise efficiency at cruising speeds."
Old 01-07-22, 09:26 AM
jdmek998
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
The original take out motor was sold last week for $2,000 - here’s the details on the listing @Jwconeil

“Selling a complete long block from a 2011 Lexus ISF, 2ur-gse 5.0L V8. The engine has 90k miles but has a tapping sound in the head. Can be repaired or used for parts. I also have the matching transmission with 90k miles for an additional $500 as a package deal. Perfect for someone looking for a swap for a shell if you have time to diagnose the loud tap, could be something simple. Pick up only in Southwest Florida.”

Joe Z
That engine was the replacement of his stock one that he blew up when he went turbo. Its running hard now.

Last edited by jdmek998; 01-24-22 at 07:35 AM.

Quick Reply: RCF swap in ISF complete!