IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Bilstein B6 Monotube Shocks for ISF

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-16, 01:01 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by jleonard71
They don't make a B8 shock for the ISF, but the B6 is the same shock with the exact same valving as the B8 - it just has more travel. Other than that they're identical. And they say the B6 can be dropped up to 30mm (1.18") without issues, which is more than any spring kit will drop it. But the ride quality with either is apparently the same from what I've read on several other forums.
Your definition of the Bilsteins is different than there's.

Their website states that the B8's are shortened for lowering springs. Far as I know B6 are OEM replacements with their valving for a slightly improved performance intended for a factory setup.

Most prepackaged lowering "kits" that include Bilsteins are with the B8 shocks as well. Just wanna make sure you know what you are getting before you order. They will likely handle lowering springs better, but I am almost positive they aren't actually designed around a lowering spring like the B8 is.
Old 05-27-16, 01:02 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Good info. Thanks for that jleonard
Old 05-27-16, 01:06 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

So essentially, for guys that don't plan on lowering their car and don't want to mess with the factory suspension much, the B6 is the perfect replacement for the OE shocks
Sounds like I need to jump on this deal since one of my shocks is leaking.
And the plus of it all is that you can send these in to be rebuilt and revalved.
Old 05-27-16, 01:12 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
Your definition of the Bilsteins is different than there's.

Their website states that the B8's are shortened for lowering springs. Far as I know B6 are OEM replacements with their valving for a slightly improved performance intended for a factory setup.

Most prepackaged lowering "kits" that include Bilsteins are with the B8 shocks as well. Just wanna make sure you know what you are getting before you order. They will likely handle lowering springs better, but I am almost positive they aren't actually designed around a lowering spring like the B8 is.
That's exactly what I said in the post you quoted - the B8's are designed specifically for lowered setups with reduced travel (in fact I don't think they can even be used at stock height). But per Bilstein's FAQ section on their website they are the same shock other than the reduced travel, and the B6 will handle up to 30mm of drop just fine.

Q: Down to which lowering level can I go with BILSTEIN B6 sports shock absorbers (not shortened) in conjunction with shorter springs?
A: Down to 30mm. That is what is typically offered for new vehicles straight from the factory. Any lower and a shock absorber with a shortened stroke has to be fitted, so that the spring tension - which ensures the required distance between the car body and the wheel - is maintained, whatever the driving situation. Otherwise the spring may slip out of its fitting and the vehicle will abruptly go out of control.

Q: What difference is there between BILSTEIN B6 Sport and BILSTEIN B8 Sprint shock absorbers?
A: The BILSTEIN B6 Sport is a mono-tube gas pressure shock absorber designed to dampen wide-ranging vibrations very precisely. Where an oil shock absorber produces an oily foam and creates a spongy driving feeling after a very short distance, the BILSTEIN B6 Sport remains constant, precise and stable. The BILSTEIN B8 Sprint is a mono-tube gas pressure shock absorber specifically designed to be used with lowered vehicles with shorter stroke. It also offers the same advantages as the BILSTEIN B6 Sport shock absorber.
So just like you can use lowering springs with OEM shocks, you can also use them with the B6 shocks - down to a 30mm drop max. Sure the B8 would be ideal (which is what's included in the B12 lowering kits along w/Eibach Pro Springs), but they don't make a B8 shock or B12 kit for the ISF.
Old 05-27-16, 01:40 PM
FFM
Racer

Ok sweet, yeah just re-read your post and we are on the same page

Bummer they don't offer the B8's. That extra travel could have quite the effect on ride comfort.

It's really funny how companies decide which models to release for certain cars. Bilstein offers the B8's for a non 4matic C class yet the only difference being the front struts. Which the 4matics use a standard two bolt McPherson strut and the RWD has a funky *** long tube with perpendicular two bolt. Why you no make struts for the common design
Old 05-27-16, 04:33 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kzlflash
So essentially, for guys that don't plan on lowering their car and don't want to mess with the factory suspension much, the B6 is the perfect replacement for the OE shocks
Sounds like I need to jump on this deal since one of my shocks is leaking.
And the plus of it all is that you can send these in to be rebuilt and revalved.
Given Bilstein's great track record and the great price, I would say yes they do appear to be the perfect aftermarket replacement. And even if you do plan on lowering your car they will probably still work very well, but the performance and longevity may be affected the same way that OEM shocks are affected by lowering springs.

What remains to be seen is how they perform compared to stock. I'm guessing there will be a noticeable improvement since Bilstein tends to make better shocks than Tokico (the mfgr of the OEM shocks), but we shall see. I went ahead and ordered the Eibach Pro kit at the same time so I won't really be able to give an apples-to-apples comparison since I'll be swapping springs at the same time, but hopefully at least a few other people will get these and just replace the OEM shocks so we can get feedback on how they compare. But then again, you're comparing brand new shocks to ones with 50, 60, 70K+ miles on them.
Old 05-27-16, 04:59 PM
FFM
Racer

I wonder with enough interest Bilstein would offer us the B8. Since the drop with springs on this chassis is somehow damn near perfect there's a lot of people with just springs.

If it wasn't for the fact that I will eventually want to dial in an aftermarket wheel fitment I think I would be happy to stay with springs rather than going to coilovers here in a couple years once these stockers crap out.
Old 05-27-16, 05:09 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FFM
I wonder with enough interest Bilstein would offer us the B8. Since the drop with springs on this chassis is somehow damn near perfect there's a lot of people with just springs.

If it wasn't for the fact that I will eventually want to dial in an aftermarket wheel fitment I think I would be happy to stay with springs rather than going to coilovers here in a couple years once these stockers crap out.
At this point there would need to be a HUGE sudden demand, and furthermore a flood of requests for the B8's, for them to even consider developing a new product for the ISF. These things have been out for 7 years and I have yet to read about a single person who has even tried them.
Old 05-29-16, 10:59 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

bilsteins come stock on 01-04 ford lightnings and the ride is great even when lowered. i've had tokico and bilsteins on my mustang and bilsteins are much better ride IMHO
Old 05-30-16, 11:17 AM
spider9018
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone, I was reading this tread and it interest me. I got a buddy who works at a dealership in parts and he mentioned those same strut to me just last week. I'm gonna order them in the next few weeks but couple them with SPC adjustable ***** joints, SPC rear camber arms and Swift springs then pray for the best. I feel like experimenting.
Old 05-30-16, 07:46 PM
willstroo
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I just saw this and thought i would post a review.

I bought a 2009 ISF, and was worn down over the first months with the vicious ride the stock suspension has. I work in property and am in my car a large part of the day on some pretty brutal roads..

Anyway, I didn't want to lower my car, EVER, as its a work car going in and out of driveways etc and its better to have some height to avoid scraping and bashing the underside of the car and bumpers, i still hit the front lip once and had to take it to the body shop for a touch up. So i wanted stock height, didnt want to adjust anything, ever, and wanted at least factory reliability.

I tossed around the idea or putting in factory later model struts from a 2013 model ISF, and 2013 springs, but it ended up blowing out costs. So obvious answer was top quality shocks from a German manufacturer..

After i found the item number i needed from the Bilstein site, searching found this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bilstein-...YAAOSwDuJWzV0v

Shipped to Australia to my door for around $1000 AUD, cheap. Lexus installed them, and it has been nothing but smiles since.

Basically the shocks have smoothed out the ride, all the small imperfections which used to upset the car have been minimised, but the large bumps are still pretty noticeable due to the hard OEM springs. I think these shocks on 2013 - 2014 springs would be great, but as stated before they dont fit these shocks as they are made for the older suspension setup. I actually bought the 2013 springs and bump stops without thinking it through but they dont fit the shocks (spewing!!), so just put the 2009 springs back on them.

Could it ride better / smoother? Definitely, Im sure the 2012-2014 setup would be better than this. As would top end coil overs, but i cant be arsed with the cost or hassle of adjustable coil overs. Also, i dont want to lower it, so whats the real point?

Did it improve the ride? Definitely. Would I do it again? Yes, for the cost it cant be beat. It also improved corner handling, the car feels more planted and less jittery all the time, and the imperfections in the road (smaller to mid sized) have been noticeably improved. Like very noticeably. It feels so much more capable now, especially with any mid corner bumps under acceleration.

Anyways, let me know any questions, happy to answer.

This suited me very well!
Old 05-31-16, 09:38 AM
Atrain302
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really want to pull the trigger on these too, but I'm not too sure about this seller. Internet reviews are mixed. Has anyone had any experience with them?
Old 05-31-16, 11:31 AM
FFM
Racer

Use CC for chargeback security if they try and pull something on your order.
Old 05-31-16, 11:56 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by willstroo
Ok, I just saw this and thought i would post a review.

I bought a 2009 ISF, and was worn down over the first months with the vicious ride the stock suspension has. I work in property and am in my car a large part of the day on some pretty brutal roads..

Anyway, I didn't want to lower my car, EVER, as its a work car going in and out of driveways etc and its better to have some height to avoid scraping and bashing the underside of the car and bumpers, i still hit the front lip once and had to take it to the body shop for a touch up. So i wanted stock height, didnt want to adjust anything, ever, and wanted at least factory reliability.

I tossed around the idea or putting in factory later model struts from a 2013 model ISF, and 2013 springs, but it ended up blowing out costs. So obvious answer was top quality shocks from a German manufacturer..

After i found the item number i needed from the Bilstein site, searching found this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bilstein-...YAAOSwDuJWzV0v

Shipped to Australia to my door for around $1000 AUD, cheap. Lexus installed them, and it has been nothing but smiles since.

Basically the shocks have smoothed out the ride, all the small imperfections which used to upset the car have been minimised, but the large bumps are still pretty noticeable due to the hard OEM springs. I think these shocks on 2013 - 2014 springs would be great, but as stated before they dont fit these shocks as they are made for the older suspension setup. I actually bought the 2013 springs and bump stops without thinking it through but they dont fit the shocks (spewing!!), so just put the 2009 springs back on them.

Could it ride better / smoother? Definitely, Im sure the 2012-2014 setup would be better than this. As would top end coil overs, but i cant be arsed with the cost or hassle of adjustable coil overs. Also, i dont want to lower it, so whats the real point?

Did it improve the ride? Definitely. Would I do it again? Yes, for the cost it cant be beat. It also improved corner handling, the car feels more planted and less jittery all the time, and the imperfections in the road (smaller to mid sized) have been noticeably improved. Like very noticeably. It feels so much more capable now, especially with any mid corner bumps under acceleration.

Anyways, let me know any questions, happy to answer.

This suited me very well!
Awesome, that's great to hear! That is exactly what I'm looking for with a new set of shocks, something that will give a little better ride quality than the worn out OEM's without getting into expensive coilovers which can cost up to 6x as much. I actually like the firmness of the OEM ride, but feeling every little pebble on the road is a bit much. I'm hoping the Bilsteins will help to minimize some of that, which is sounds like they do.
Old 06-01-16, 06:48 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

About to replace shocks on my F also, hoping to smooth out the ride on the terrible CO roads. Any suggestions for coilovers to go with them or other parts that should go in at the same time? Hoping to keep the same great flat cornering the car has now.

Quick Reply: Bilstein B6 Monotube Shocks for ISF