IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Air Bag Recall?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-16, 03:51 PM
Pushtape
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Lance I think you are the first I have heard to say that about air bags. Interesting. I guess they just think the bag is the lesser of the evils . I had patients with orbital socket blow outs and fractures from hitting the windshield though. They also get these mean traumatic cataracts
My mom is a court reporter. I remember asking her what cases she was handling when I was a kid and airbag injuries was a pretty common one (20 some years ago, I'm sure its better now)
Old 07-27-16, 05:00 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I despise airbags. More injuries and deaths from them than passengers/drivers saved by a long shot. I wonder what would happen if I just removed the SRS ECU? No more EDR to provide "evidence" on the government's behalf, and no more worries about getting punched by Mike Tyson should the thing ever deploy. They say it is genuinely unsafe to drive my vehicle with a passenger now. This should really be a class action suit against the NHTSA for requiring explosive devices inside automobiles.
you can get free rental from Lexus dealer.
Old 07-27-16, 07:03 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushtape
As far as I know the recall only impacts the passenger side, so if you are driving solo it shouldn't be an issue.
Yep, it does. But, I have always disliked airbags for the reasons Lance has stated. They scare the hell out of me! As far as hitting the windshield and causing eye damage, a properly designed 3 point seatbelt will restrain the passenger and the driver in the case of an accident and not allow the victim's head to strike the windshield.

Lou
Old 07-27-16, 09:24 PM
davidcausa
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Just got my notice last week. So I'm supposed to just stick my passengers I'm the back for who knows how long? Wtf
Old 07-28-16, 07:18 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i got 2 letters in the mail last week. one for my brother and one for me. both airbag recalls and my brother doesn't drive a lexus. looks like a big number of cars are affected. I'm not sure if he read it but I guess i'll tell him to not let any passenger sit in the front. damn and you get a rental not even a loaner at the dealer...smh...tempted to just disable it until remedy is available.
Old 07-28-16, 07:42 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm tempted to not get it fixed when it becomes available. My closest dealership is three hours away and I wasn't too happy with the work they did on the for the previous recall anyways. In addition to that, I know it depends on the type of and severity of a collision, but I've worried about the damage an airbag could do to my wife versus seatbelts only. In my old 370z she wasn't even heavy enough to enable the passenger air bag.
Old 07-28-16, 07:49 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by MWIS350
you can get free rental from Lexus dealer.
With an airbag I don't want. I don't want to get punched by Mike Tyson. If I did, I'd be a boxer. Joan Claybrook decided this for us because we are too stupid to wear our seat belts when she was in charge of the NHTSA under Jimmy Carter. She even boldly proclaimed manufacturers would be able to remove seat belts entirely. Here we are now with hundreds of millions of cars globally capable of injuring or killing occupants because Joan decided we were too stupid to protect ourselves. IMHO, if you choose to drive without a seat belt, you probably don't need one. Anyone capable of looking at the mountain of evidence supporting wearing a seat belt and deciding it's not a good idea doesn't need one. I say the same thing about motorcycle helmets. Having this airbag technology forced on the public just pisses me off. They should be optional and those who have never seen an airbag victim will buy them. Those of us who have seen an airbag victim, especially a family member, will never buy them again. We'll just wear our seat belts.

If it would not cause a Christmas tree of lights on the dash, I would remove everything related to airbags from my cars.

Here's an interesting read from Leonard Evans, a world renowned traffic safety expert quoting Claybrook's arrogant and false claim: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1448220/
Old 07-28-16, 08:56 AM
smt6
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Called corporate for a rental. The case manager is said to call back within 3 business days. Today is day three. Bet they don't call...
Old 07-28-16, 11:28 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

^^^^There's a couple of cases in the 2IS forum of members getting rentals. Here's one:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...0-350-a-7.html

Me, I don't want a rental, I want my F and my truck without airbags

Lou
Old 07-28-16, 01:55 PM
foxprime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rentals are always free for recalled cars. Too bad there's no F-equivalent car rental!
Old 07-28-16, 02:03 PM
davidcausa
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

so there is a fix now?
Old 07-28-16, 02:57 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by foxprime
Rentals are always free for recalled cars. Too bad there's no F-equivalent car rental!
NOW THERE ARE LOLZ GSF, RCF

Originally Posted by davidcausa
so there is a fix now?
YEAH 2017 LOLZ
Old 07-28-16, 04:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

the rental car pics are covering the Facebook Pages for the ISF !!! Everyone is getting one. I have even seen a new convertible mustang as a rental. The rest were the usual garbage like CRUZ, ALTIMA, 300C.........

Im going to call and see if they will give me a loaner but still allow me to track the car. If so Im in. If not F it !!!
Old 07-29-16, 10:58 AM
smt6
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
the rental car pics are covering the Facebook Pages for the ISF !!! Everyone is getting one. I have even seen a new convertible mustang as a rental. The rest were the usual garbage like CRUZ, ALTIMA, 300C.........

Im going to call and see if they will give me a loaner but still allow me to track the car. If so Im in. If not F it !!!
Got the call back today. They specifically said that the dealership will take pictures of the odometer. The case manager suggested I start the car once a month. I'm just going to uber to dealership when rental is ready and see what they do. No way I am not driving the F...
Old 07-29-16, 11:13 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
IMHO, if you choose to drive without a seat belt, you probably don't need one.
YES!! YES!!

Quick Reply: Air Bag Recall?