IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Tires

Old 05-23-16, 03:55 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
Matt

I guess I'm a Tire junkie too. But I must take exception to your above statement. Tire Rack's user experience simply don't bear this out. See Attachments.

I am the happy user of S-04s and I can tell you that they are a GREAT Tire and that like some other things in life, size does matter. I am running the 255/295 combo on RCF wheels and the change in handling from my stock wheels with PS2 through S-04 in a 245/285 size to my current setup is night and day.

The RE760 is a Great tire in it's class, but certainly is not in the same league as the S-04.

Lou
With all due respect I personally believe the user experience reviews on TireRack shouldn't carry much weight at all unless you're looking specifically for feedback on road noise and comfort. There are just too many variables without knowing anything about the user and their experience to be used as a basis for comparison. For example, lets say someone has only ever experienced a cheap crappy all season and then tries out a set of mediocre summer tires... they will likely be blown away by the performance because that is the grippiest tire they've ever experienced. As a result they will probably leave extremely high marks for something that realistically might not be that great of a tire.

In any case I prefer harder objective data. If I've learned anything testing tires for competition over the years it's that you don't know for sure until the stopwatch tells you. As far as the RE760 vs S-04 debate, I have used both and am certain the RE760 is the faster/grippier tire (albeit not by much) despite being in the lower performance class and with a higher UTQG rating. It also feels a little better being driven aggressively since the tread blocks are a little bigger/more rigid and the casing/sidewalls are a little stiffer. The downside is that the RE760 compromises on the compliance and road noise compared to the S-04. I don't disagree that the S-04 is a great street tire and for daily driving it is without question the more well-rounded and refined tire. But around a track or for really aggressive driving it trails the RE760 and undoubtedly this new Firestone branded (ugh ) Bridgestone Potenza RE003.

Just took a look and even TireRack's objective test data has the RE760 ahead of the S-04 in terms of dry lap time, dry stopping distance, dry slalom time, and average cornering g-force.

Again, I say if the concern is on raw performance figures then the category and UTQG ratings (within reason) start to mean very little, if anything.

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 05-23-16 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-23-16, 04:24 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Looks interesting . Tread pattern looks like the shoulder have some sporting intentions. I have learned A LOT about tread design and characteristics over the last 2-3 years. Not available in my size and Im sticking with the Yokohama AD08R or moving up to the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 or Pirelli Corsa tires ( tread wear is 60 I think lmao) . I dont mod my car much so I just **** the money away on tires TRUTH LMAO . I am finding that there is nothing new coming in my 255/295 sizes
Not to de-rail this thread but in all honesty I think the Cup 2 is overhyped. Between a MPSC 2 and an AD08R I would stick with the AD08R unless you're being timed for competition and your class rules allow the Michelin. The Cup 2 is a little faster but the AD08R subjectively feels better in my opinion, it will last longer and it is much less expensive. The AD08R has such a broad peak grip window- it can handle the largest slip angles without loosing time compared to any of the other newer generation EHP street tires which essentially means it's easier to drive because it tolerates more **** from the driver

I ran the original Pirelli Corsas on my M3 and was very disappointed in how slow they were and how quickly they wore. I don't know if it's the same with the newer corsa asymmetrico 2 but the original corsa asymmetrico couldn't keep up with even a last generation EHP street tire around a track and was wearing at more than double the rate of one too... waste of money but I guess you don't know until you try.

I just picked up a set of Trofeo Rs to try out. Those are supposed to be 1-2 seconds off the pace of a Hoosier R6 at a typical 2 minute track but I've heard mixed things about the wear rate. I'll make sure to pass on my impressions to you after I give them a good beating at the track, if you'd like.

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 05-23-16 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-27-16, 09:41 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Matt

... size does matter....

Lou
I think what SpeedFreeks is saying here is that, much like UTQG tread-wear ratings, size is not as simple as what is printed on the side of the tire. One manufacturers 255 is not necessarily the same width as another manufacturers 255. In particular Nitto is known for really exaggerating their sizes: http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...more-grip.aspx
Old 09-27-16, 03:10 PM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

these were delivered today. I'll report back soon with my take on these tires. Reviews are starting to flow on tire rack and tire rack has even done a review. Even if they perform slightly better than my EVO 2s on my wheels, I will be pretty enthused.
Old 09-27-16, 09:51 PM
SlowXIsf
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These tires are great! i had no problem hooking with these even when on a 100 shot of nitrous. only complaint is they dont last very long lol
Old 09-28-16, 04:11 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowXIsf
These tires are great! i had no problem hooking with these even when on a 100 shot of nitrous. only complaint is they dont last very long lol
I also had them put on two weeks ago and have no complaints. Sideblocks are thick.
Old 09-28-16, 04:55 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SlowXIsf
Define very long. These have a wear rating higher than the EVO 2s I ccurrently have. Can't remember how many miles but I daily the car and those tires have been in for almost two years.
Old 09-28-16, 12:49 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Matt

I guess I'm a Tire junkie too. But I must take exception to your above statement. Tire Rack's user experience simply don't bear this out. See Attachments.

I am the happy user of S-04s and I can tell you that they are a GREAT Tire and that like some other things in life, size does matter. I am running the 255/295 combo on RCF wheels and the change in handling from my stock wheels with PS2 through S-04 in a 245/285 size to my current setup is night and day.

The RE760 is a Great tire in it's class, but certainly is not in the same league as the S-04.

Lou
Lou, what's the best price you've gotten on the S04 in the tire size you're currently running? I have the same setup, but my F came with Falkens and I need to replace the rears ASAP, but also want to replace the fronts
Old 09-28-16, 02:02 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

^^^^I'm sorry, but I'm away from home right now. I don't remember and I'd gladly look it up for you. I'll be home in another couple of weeks.

Lou
Old 01-21-17, 09:49 AM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lmood

these were delivered today. I'll report back soon with my take on these tires. Reviews are starting to flow on tire rack and tire rack has even done a review. Even if they perform slightly better than my EVO 2s on my wheels, I will be pretty enthused.
Can you offer an update on how these tires are working out? Thanks!
Old 01-21-17, 09:56 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Originally Posted by AndrewISF
I've been running these since October. They are great. Stick really well. Sidewalls are very stiff.
Old 01-21-17, 10:23 AM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joker4096
I've been running these since October. They are great. Stick really well. Sidewalls are very stiff.
What did you have previous and how do these compare to them?
Old 01-21-17, 10:25 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

What did you have previous and how do these compare to them?
I had Yokohama s drives. They were good but these grip a lot better. And in South Florida with all the rain we get, these do really well.
Old 01-21-17, 10:35 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

i can only compare these to the evo2 I had on the wheels before. They are definitely better gripping tires compared. They are decent in the rain and wet conditions. My biggest complaint about these tires is how dirty they make the car. I cannot say how these do on the track but I have taken these on a few twisty roads and the do hug the road. For the price, these tires are a very good deal. I would probably buy these again if they indeed hold up to the amount of time the evo2s held up.
Old 01-21-17, 10:42 AM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lmood
i can only compare these to the evo2 I had on the wheels before. They are definitely better gripping tires compared. They are decent in the rain and wet conditions. My biggest complaint about these tires is how dirty they make the car. I cannot say how these do on the track but I have taken these on a few twisty roads and the do hug the road. For the price, these tires are a very good deal. I would probably buy these again if they indeed hold up to the amount of time the evo2s held up.
How many miles do you have on them so far?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Tires