IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

who has had coolant leak around valley plate?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-17, 05:10 PM
InfamousF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the update, I am going to go through the dealership also and bring it up with them when my airbag recall gets done. Lexus of Edmonton has really good customer service so I'm confident they will give me some sort of discount. 2/3 Cost covered would be nice.

Originally Posted by ACEtheOG
UPDATE
Got the car back today and it looks like my problems are solved!
Took a quick look before starting it up--coolant was sitting at the full marker. Fired her up--still at full. Drove it like i stole if for about 30km~18mi--still at full. I'm a happy camper. My OCD will make me monitor it for the next few months, so I'll continue to check in.

Ended up splitting the cost 3 ways with the dealer and Lexus. I did not ask for this--my service rep. called me with an update (they found the leak and the cause LOL) and that they would cover 2/3rds of the cost. Again, my complaints about the issue were well documented with the dealer since 2014. Full disclosure--my family and I have purchased and leased many vehicles from this dealer and have serviced every single one there. I was going to push for more but the dealer/service rep. has done many favours for me in the past. Total charged to me came to $417.18 Canadian which is about $320.00 US.

The following info was taken directly from my invoice:
Condition: Guest tops up coolant every week. Found coolant on driveway.
Cause: Coolant leaking from heat exchanger assembly.
Correction: Removed intake manifold and heat exchanger to reseal. LWAL Goodwill. Resealed heat exchanger assembly and replaced broken connectors
Qty 2 / Part 17177-38040 / Desc. Gasket
Qty 1 / Part 82817-30L40 / Desc. Protector
Qty 2 / Part 96761-35035 / Desc. Ring, O
Qty 2 / 08826-00100-WA / Desc. Sealant
Qty 4 / 90980-12117 / Desc. Housing, Connector
Qty 1 / 22271-38020 / Desc. Gasket
Qty 5 / Desc. Labour

Good luck to all those experiencing the issue and continued luck to those yet to see the dreaded symptoms.

I got some pictures and a video after they pulled everything apart--it looked just like the photos posted earlier in the thread.
Old 06-26-17, 08:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by ACEtheOG
...Qty 2 / 08826-00100-WA / Desc. Sealant...
Looks like they used the magic moose mucous they were supposed to use. Good for you!!!

I won't argue about the deal you got, but I have to say if I had brought this up under warranty numerous times without resolution, I might not have been as agreeable to paying anything at all. But truth be told, I am the guy who would do this myself anyway because of my prior experience with dealership warranty fixes.
Old 06-27-17, 12:34 PM
ACEtheOG
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Looks like they used the magic moose mucous they were supposed to use. Good for you!!!

I won't argue about the deal you got, but I have to say if I had brought this up under warranty numerous times without resolution, I might not have been as agreeable to paying anything at all. But truth be told, I am the guy who would do this myself anyway because of my prior experience with dealership warranty fixes.
I completely agree with you lobux--it's a matter of principle and part of me still wishes I pushed for full coverage. With that being said, I just couldn't bring myself to fight my service rep. The rep. and tech. (I only allow certain guys to work on my car lol) have all done things for me that far exceed the $470 I needed to pay. I didn't want to ruin a good thing--I've read all sorts of horror stories about dealerships and I'm just very happy with my relationship with mine.

I wish i had the knowledge and experience to pull something like this fix off on my own. Some of you guys on CL truly amaze me haha.

A
Old 06-27-17, 01:26 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

It costs a lot of money in the long run, but dealerships bend over backwards for long term paying customers. Always cracks me up when fired up people storm into the dealer making demands that have never spent a dime in that business.
Old 07-08-17, 01:48 PM
ACEtheOG
Rookie

UPDATE
2 weeks of daily driving, nothing too spirited - coolant level is always at full.
Old 07-10-17, 01:28 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

I believe that my car is having the same symptoms. I want to do the job myself though. So i may do a write up whenever the time comes.
Old 07-10-17, 04:35 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
It costs a lot of money in the long run, but dealerships bend over backwards for long term paying customers. Always cracks me up when fired up people storm into the dealer making demands that have never spent a dime in that business.
Some dealerships might favour some of their customers but the reality is that they rarely if ever do anything truly for free. Lexus owners are charged premium rates for all services and the reality is that most dealers only do "favours" for a customer if they believe they can recoup the cost of the favour from the customer through regular overpriced services. Most people will have to pay significant amounts for almost worthless services before they get anything close to resembling a freebie. Even in the case of ACEtheOG here, he has had to lease and service several vehicles and in the end was still asked to pay for a service that should rightfully have been covered under warranty. Conveniently for the this generous dealer, the problem could only be confirmed after warranty has expired.
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (07-11-17)
Old 08-03-17, 03:43 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker4096
I believe that my car is having the same symptoms. I want to do the job myself though. So i may do a write up whenever the time comes.
Let us know if you do a write up!
Old 08-04-17, 05:54 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by newgsman
Some dealerships might favour some of their customers but the reality is that they rarely if ever do anything truly for free. Lexus owners are charged premium rates for all services and the reality is that most dealers only do "favours" for a customer if they believe they can recoup the cost of the favour from the customer through regular overpriced services. Most people will have to pay significant amounts for almost worthless services before they get anything close to resembling a freebie. Even in the case of ACEtheOG here, he has had to lease and service several vehicles and in the end was still asked to pay for a service that should rightfully have been covered under warranty. Conveniently for the this generous dealer, the problem could only be confirmed after warranty has expired.
That is true, however, for people that don't do work themselves they are more likely to get out of warranty coverage from a dealer they spent money at servicing their car than taking it to an independent. We have the same line of thought, you end up paying for it in the long run since you spent a lot of money at that establishment. But a good dealer recognizes that, thus why they can reach out to their rep and opt for goodwill repairs. I saw it quite regularly working in the field. They can goodwill X amount per month out of water, but they are only going to use it on a good paying customer. Don't expect ANY freebies as a first time walk in is what I was getting at.
Old 08-06-17, 04:11 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SRTISF
Yea I think it is more time based.. Most of the cars I have been reading about with the leak are 7-9 years old. I haven't heard much about newer cars failing.
Mines is a 2011, and leaked back in Nov. 2016, which puts it in the 5/6 year range.
Old 08-08-17, 11:26 AM
FWizard
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know where youd stick a borescope exactly in our engine bay to check for the plate leak?
Old 08-08-17, 11:40 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by kzlflash
Mines is a 2011, and leaked back in Nov. 2016, which puts it in the 5/6 year range.
damn, that sucks for me (2012). Looks like the cracked manifold and this valley leak is unavoidable on these cars. My manifold on my 2012 was found to be cracked also.
Old 08-08-17, 03:13 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

If the leak has been active for a while, you'll be able to see coolant residue with a flashlight on top of the transmission on the passenger side. This is what I experienced this past weekend when I went to check out a 2011
Old 08-08-17, 11:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by FWizard
Does anyone know where youd stick a borescope exactly in our engine bay to check for the plate leak?
Between the intake manifold runners.
Old 08-09-17, 06:39 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

seems like not only Lexus/Toyota, other manufactured cars also have this leak. After reading about this topic, I checked the coolant reservoir and it's at its low level, but it has been around 2yrs since the last time I top it off at full mark. 2008.

Quick Reply: who has had coolant leak around valley plate?