IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

who has had coolant leak around valley plate?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-18, 06:02 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Find a different dealership! My repair was $1,300 - $500 good will credit from Lexus = $800ish out of pocket

The credit seems on par with what Lexus was giving some people, so it's more the dealership is overcharging you or it's the California tax you guys pay out there for the sunny weather
I forgot how much the sales tax rate is in my area, but i thought the cost of repair was way too high.

I may take it to another local dealership to get a second quote.
Old 03-02-18, 06:13 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

For sure, get another quote or two just to compare dealerships and see if the price differs between them?? The credit from Lexus corporate should stay the same.

Look back in this thread and see who in Cali has gotten the repair done and at what price to compare, maybe they can refer you to a better dealership?

Good luck
Old 03-02-18, 06:56 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
For sure, get another quote or two just to compare dealerships and see if the price differs between them?? The credit from Lexus corporate should stay the same.

Look back in this thread and see who in Cali has gotten the repair done and at what price to compare, maybe they can refer you to a better dealership?

Good luck
Ironically, it was the dealership that I frequent and would recommend to others that gave me the $2600 repair quote.

Least to say, this gives me second thoughts on referring said dealership to others.
Old 03-03-18, 03:52 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

When i had mine done at Longo, they charge me around $2500 as well and i told them that my led needle were burned out on the rpm gauge. Luckily, when i bought my is f at carmax i purchased they're warranty for $2k and i had $200 deductible, and every was repair accordingly...gluck Jason.

Last edited by chris07is; 03-03-18 at 03:55 AM.
Old 03-03-18, 10:40 AM
s2kjer
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chris07is
When i had mine done at Longo, they charge me around $2500 as well and i told them that my led needle were burned out on the rpm gauge. Luckily, when i bought my is f at carmax i purchased they're warranty for $2k and i had $200 deductible, and every was repair accordingly...gluck Jason.
Warranty work is always billed at the highest possible price. Realistically $1500 is what most people in this thread paid. If you are quoted more than that you are paying California labor rates. Time to go to a out of state dealer or have a trusted mechanic fix it.
Old 03-07-18, 01:37 PM
stunts
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Making my way through this thread it seems that this is brought on by a combination of age, mileage, driving style, and if you are one of the chosen. So, basically random. Would that be a fair assessment?

I ask as I recently purchased a 2012 with 31,000 mi on the clock. . Coolant level seems tight so far, although I have only added 1,000 miles of which 700 was the drive home. The car has its entire history at Lexus and no mention of coolant in any of the paperwork. Powertrain warranty is up in a few months and I need to decide to extend. The reputation of the car would lead me to not extend the PT warranty and just pay out of pocket in the event that it does occur. Not sure how big of a sample this community represents though given the low production numbers of this drivetrain.

Current usage is going to be less than 10k a year so I am thinking if it does happen, it wouldn't be for a while. No track days here, just the occasional spirited mountain run. Thoughts? Understood your guess is as good as mine, but you guys have been here longer and know when it occurred if it did during the history of your car. TIA
Old 03-07-18, 03:40 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chris07is
Thanks. I decided to ante up and get the repairs done, though I'm frustrated and disappointed at Lexus for what I perceive to be a failure to accept responsibility for a common issue with the 2UR-GSE engine. I was looking forward to keeping my F for much, much longer; unfortunately, this issue has now made me reconsider... Which may be a good thing.

Originally Posted by stunts
Making my way through this thread it seems that this is brought on by a combination of age, mileage, driving style, and if you are one of the chosen. So, basically random. Would that be a fair assessment?

-post snip-

Current usage is going to be less than 10k a year so I am thinking if it does happen, it wouldn't be for a while. No track days here, just the occasional spirited mountain run. Thoughts? Understood your guess is as good as mine, but you guys have been here longer and know when it occurred if it did during the history of your car. TIA
Take your IS-F into your local Lexus dealership to get it inspected for the valley plate leak first. If it's present, get it fixed under your warranty.

As far as an extended warranty for your F, I'd say get it if it gives you more peace of mind.
Old 04-10-18, 09:17 PM
kianISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just found out this past week I also have the coolant leak which seems to be similar to everyone else in this thread. MY 08 is at 101k. Lexus is asking me close to $1800 at Lexus Cerritos.

Old 04-10-18, 09:35 PM
BlackISFNY
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Do you smell coolant when did this happened?
when idling from inside of car
Old 04-10-18, 09:54 PM
kianISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackISFNY
Do you smell coolant when did this happened?
when idling from inside of car
I did smell a burning oil/rubber when driving 40+ mph but that could be totally unrelated I decided to check anywho.

I went in originally for a oil change and asked for a complimentary multi point inspection and this is where it started. After we found this coolant leak, they charged me $300 to take apart the intake manifold to inspect further.
Old 04-11-18, 06:26 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

I'm having my starter replaced, during this process my SA told me could do the valley plate repair for 800$ so I went for it.

Side note - how to disable the stupid "loading related threads crap", internet brands and vbulletin have gone to ****
Old 04-11-18, 01:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa
...Side note - how to disable the stupid "loading related threads crap", internet brands and vbulletin have gone to ****
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sit...te-scroll.html

Try starting here.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
ImportISF (04-12-18), vraa (04-12-18)
Old 04-11-18, 08:06 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Took my car in today for valley plate inspection since I been having coolant level issues but lucky? for me it's just leaking water pump. So I'll be ordering one of those very soon.
Old 04-12-18, 10:13 AM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidtek
Took my car in today for valley plate inspection since I been having coolant level issues but lucky? for me it's just leaking water pump. So I'll be ordering one of those very soon.
Maybe you'll get lucky and that's all it will be. 1st Lexus diagnosed my leak as coming from the water pump. When I was still loosing coolant they looked further into it and found the valley plate leaking. Took several trips to the dealer before they finally found it. They would just top off the fluid at 1st and send me on my way.
Old 04-12-18, 10:15 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Durrby
Maybe you'll get lucky and that's all it will be. 1st Lexus diagnosed my leak as coming from the water pump. When I was still loosing coolant they looked further into it and found the valley plate leaking. Took several trips to the dealer before they finally found it. They would just top off the fluid at 1st and send me on my way.
Hoping that's all that it is because I was skeptical of them misdiagnosing it as just the water pump as well. They wanted to charge me an arm and leg for the water pump so I'll just be following the DIY and ordered one off mylparts. Hoping that's the end of my coolant issues.

Quick Reply: who has had coolant leak around valley plate?