IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

who has had coolant leak around valley plate?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-18, 11:37 AM
2008ISF
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default The fabled unicorn...

We will see how this stuff works on the valley plate. Price was steep, but if it seals better than the standard black sealant...then I don't mind.

Last edited by 2008ISF; 10-05-18 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-08-18, 11:12 AM
pdxgs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone have a DIY procedure for getting to and re-sealing the valley plate? Video, written or factory manual directions would be very much appreciated.
Old 12-08-18, 12:00 PM
viprez586
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxgs
Does anyone have a DIY procedure for getting to and re-sealing the valley plate? Video, written or factory manual directions would be very much appreciated.
​​​​​​ Order sealant and all gaskets ahead of time.
.drain radiator and access block drains the black drains are 10mm.
basically in a nutshell you remove allof the main engine harness securing clips and nuts. Secure bungee cord to both hood struts once all of the sensors on top of the valve covers and head are removed you can prop the harness up behind the bungee. Zip ties help too .

You then remove the intake manifold.
Replace the direct injector clips . Find my DIY or I'll link later.
DO NOT REMOVE THE DIRECT INJECTORS & RAILS.
ONLY THE KNOCK SENSOR AND DI HARNESS IS REMOVED.

I'll update with pictures later .
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (12-08-18)
Old 12-08-18, 01:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I was wondering why people were removing the injectors. It seemed like a bad idea to me from a risk/reward perspective because the likelihood of breaking them is pretty high if the engine has any significant mileage on it. The only time I would want to pull the injectors is if I planned to remove the heads too.
Old 12-08-18, 02:32 PM
viprez586
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I was wondering why people were removing the injectors. It seemed like a bad idea to me from a risk/reward perspective because the likelihood of breaking them is pretty high if the engine has any significant mileage on it. The only time I would want to pull the injectors is if I planned to remove the heads too.
Exactly, there is minimal gain if any by removing the DI injectors and rails.
Old 12-08-18, 03:49 PM
21ce
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Checking in with here with my F as well (2008 112k miles). I had the issue with no heater that others are reporting here as well, this is my 3rd time taking it to the dealership and asking them to look for a leak. First time was at carmax (maxcare warranty) and they claimed nothing was wrong. Performed a pressure test and it passed (not even sure what the test entails). 6 months later I took it to directly to Lexus instead, again they explained nothing was wrong, although I was having to top off my coolant more often than usual. They suggested a coolant flush and a new reservoir cap.... I knew this was silly, figured that if I had this performed and I came back AGAIN they could no longer suggest this as a remedy. Paid the $300 for the flush and new cap last year and brought it back to Lexus again this year, but this time because I noticed the front suspension was clunking. I insisted they look into the coolant once more time and explained to them that their previous suggestion to flush the system did not help.

Finally they have found the leak and are going to reseal it along with change the strut mounts and control arms, luckily carmax is covering all of this (less the deductible), but the overall frustration was more that they repeatedly told me there was no coolant leak and in all my cars I never had to refill the coolant as often as I was with this car.
Old 12-08-18, 04:19 PM
viprez586
Intermediate

Most dealer techs don't see the 2URGSE as often as other powerplants because of the shear volume.
there is no bulletin about the valley plate and unless you know exactly where to look as I've outlined in this thread - it will go undetected until sypmtoms are present .

Look past cyl1(driver front) intake runner with a flash light a the deepest pocket will be full with coolant since it's the deepest spot for coolant to physically puddle.
​​​​​​

Not sure why Admins haven't stickied my post, since this topic comes up quite often.
21ce (12-09-18)
Old 12-08-18, 07:05 PM
pdxgs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by viprez586
​​​​​​ Order sealant and all gaskets ahead of time.
.drain radiator and access block drains the black drains are 10mm.
basically in a nutshell you remove allof the main engine harness securing clips and nuts. Secure bungee cord to both hood struts once all of the sensors on top of the valve covers and head are removed you can prop the harness up behind the bungee. Zip ties help too .

You then remove the intake manifold.
Replace the direct injector clips . Find my DIY or I'll link later.
DO NOT REMOVE THE DIRECT INJECTORS & RAILS.
ONLY THE KNOCK SENSOR AND DI HARNESS IS REMOVED.

I'll update with pictures later .
Thank you, I searched but couldn't find your DIY. Wrong search words perhaps? Anyway a the link and pics would be super helpful. Thank you!
Old 01-04-19, 07:15 PM
Sstockss
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$1460 was quoted today for an 08 at 70430 miles.. Fuel pump recall was done at 56k 3 years ago by previous owner. I was assigned a case manager, but she does not sound optimistic about lexus paying for any of the repair. Spoke with the recall / Corp liason at the dealership today and asked if he's familiar with this particular issue and he said he is but they have only done one or two on Fs. He also said he wasn't interested in seeing the forum posts of the problems the "internet" has. Any recommendations on getting some relief on the rapeair? The shop didn't want to discuss any discounts on the labor until we got the Yay or Nay from Corp.
Old 01-07-19, 02:43 PM
Kenny88880
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it would be helpful if we had some members who have had this repair done at a good price (or with help from Lexus Corporate) post pictures of their receipts/quotes so that we can have more than just "forum posts" to point to, at least for the sake of using them for bargaining for fair pricing.
Old 01-07-19, 02:50 PM
viprez586
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kenny88880
I think it would be helpful if we had some members who have had this repair done at a good price (or with help from Lexus Corporate) post pictures of their receipts/quotes so that we can have more than just "forum posts" to point to, at least for the sake of using them for bargaining for fair pricing.
It's such a limited failure with plenty of warning, I highly doubt it would become a recall . Perhaps a bulletin at best.
Old 01-07-19, 02:52 PM
Kenny88880
Pit Crew

It's such a limited failure with plenty of warning, I highly doubt it would become a recall . Perhaps a bulletin at best.
I don't mean for recall purposes, I mean for price comparison purposes. I have seen price quotes all over the place.
Old 01-11-19, 04:02 PM
Sstockss
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kenny88880
I don't mean for recall purposes, I mean for price comparison purposes. I have seen price quotes all over the place.
I saw quotes all over the place which is why I was hesitant to bring it in. Presumably because I am not the original owner of the car, Lexus Corp denied any assistance. The dealer was more willing to help, offering $1750 for full fluid replacement, gaskets, and labor for the valley plate. That includes trans/diff flush, syn oil, and of course coolant and pressure test after assembly. The service manager also said they would replace any injectors/clips that break at their cost. I’ll believe that when I see it, but I’m reasonably happy. Caught pretty early I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or not.

This pic was when they first pulled the intake off, when I stopped by today they had the fuel rails off which prompted the discussion about the injectors

Last edited by Sstockss; 01-11-19 at 04:09 PM.
Kenny88880 (01-14-19)
Old 01-14-19, 07:45 AM
Kenny88880
Pit Crew

Can you post a picture of your receipt? That sounds like you got a great price considering the other things done as well.
Old 01-14-19, 01:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Exactly, there is minimal gain if any by removing the DI injectors and rails.
Is it not possible to work around the harness or does it block removing the plate? Just wondering if one could leave the DI system untouched and still get the job done.

Quick Reply: who has had coolant leak around valley plate?