IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

who has had coolant leak around valley plate?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-17, 09:23 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Recall has to be safety related to cause deaths in which they would rather not have to pay settlements or directly affect the emissions system generally. Thus why you see fuel related recalls or one that could cause the vehicle to stall or uncontrollable.
The following 2 users liked this post by FFM:
F Monster (10-18-17), lobuxracer (10-17-17)
Old 10-24-17, 01:18 PM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Welp... checked my coolant level after a month since the dealership "checking" with borescope and its about 3-4mm below full. I've only driven my car maybe 6 times since then? I called a different dealership to get a second opinion and they say, your car isn't under warranty because power train is only up to 4 years (which is a lie because on Lexus's website it says 72 Months / 70k Miles). I just hung up after the SA tried to lie to my face. I'm planning on calling Lexus of Westminster (out of sate) or perhaps corporate to see what they can do. There's no way in hell coolant will evaporate that quickly.... I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 10-25-17, 12:05 PM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by F Monster
Welp... checked my coolant level after a month since the dealership "checking" with borescope and its about 3-4mm below full. I've only driven my car maybe 6 times since then? I called a different dealership to get a second opinion and they say, your car isn't under warranty because power train is only up to 4 years (which is a lie because on Lexus's website it says 72 Months / 70k Miles). I just hung up after the SA tried to lie to my face. I'm planning on calling Lexus of Westminster (out of sate) or perhaps corporate to see what they can do. There's no way in hell coolant will evaporate that quickly.... I'll keep you guys updated.
The Powertrain Warranty is for 72 months or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Except for the situations listed on the Basic Warranty page, this warranty covers repairs needed to fix defects in materials or workmanship of any component listed below:
  • Engine: Cylinder block and head and all internal parts, timing belt and cover, flywheel, oil pan, water pump, fuel pump, engine mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets.
  • Transmission and Transaxle: Case and all internal parts, torque converter, clutch cover, mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets.

so would this classify under the seals and gaskets since the valley plate leak is related to the seal
Old 11-09-17, 10:22 AM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ACEtheOG
The following info was taken directly from my invoice:
Condition: Guest tops up coolant every week. Found coolant on driveway.
Cause: Coolant leaking from heat exchanger assembly.
Correction: Removed intake manifold and heat exchanger to reseal. LWAL Goodwill. Resealed heat exchanger assembly and replaced broken connectors
Qty 2 / Part 17177-38040 / Desc. Gasket
Qty 1 / Part 82817-30L40 / Desc. Protector
Qty 2 / Part 96761-35035 / Desc. Ring, O
Qty 2 / 08826-00100-WA / Desc. Sealant
Qty 4 / 90980-12117 / Desc. Housing, Connector
Qty 1 / 22271-38020 / Desc. Gasket
Qty 5 / Desc. Labour

Doesn't have Qty 2 / 08826-00100-WA / Desc. Sealant so should i be worried? Is there not an TSB/LSB about this so that there is a uniform procedure? This was just the quote as i have not performed the service yet. I have an 08 w/ about 130k+ miles. It started after my headers were installed but there shouldn't be a direct correlation moreso just a unfortunate coincidence... i started smelling a strong odor after the install, i couldn't say instantly after the install but eventually started to smell something... then saw coolant on my tranny when i finally got a chance to look underneath the car... but coolant was dripping on the headers and heat shield over my headers on the driver's side but wasn't enough to show any drips on the ground as the flow rate wasn't enough i guess to drip since it was burned off... I'm about to call corporate and see if they will help out...
Old 11-09-17, 05:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

They didn't read the service manual. It specifically calls out the special sealant, not the oil pan sealant. The coolant sealant is way more expensive.
Old 12-17-17, 02:07 AM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Been through a few of these Valley Plate threads and need your guys' insight:

Was installing my Figs LCA bushings only to be surprised by all the pink. I checked the engine bay all over and theres zero sign of leaks as far as I can tell. It's predominant on the driver side, the coolant was at the low mark, and the car has been driving awesome.
What are your thoughts? Leak towards the firewall on the valley plate?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-17-17, 07:41 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMorgan
Been through a few of these Valley Plate threads and need your guys' insight:

Was installing my Figs LCA bushings only to be surprised by all the pink. I checked the engine bay all over and theres zero sign of leaks as far as I can tell. It's predominant on the driver side, the coolant was at the low mark, and the car has been driving awesome.

Thanks in advance.
Valley plate leaking, and leaking down the back of your engine.
Old 12-17-17, 01:55 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Been through a few of these Valley Plate threads and need your guys' insight

Thanks in advance.
that's what mine looked like. Definitely Valley plate.
Old 12-17-17, 02:20 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Thabks for the response.
Is it safe to drive with the leak for a bit? This must have happened in the past 1000-2000 miles since I did my oil change 2500 miles ago. My engine temp hasn’t been past the very middle.
Just trying to figure out if I can hold out until the new year or if driving with it will damage the motor.

Originally Posted by j3ff
that's what mine looked like. Definitely Valley plate.
Old 12-17-17, 02:35 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

It is safe to drive as long as you keep your coolant topped off for a few weeks until your ready to take it into the dealership for the fix.
Old 12-17-17, 05:47 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

I topped it off off last night and it’s back to Right below low, but won’t go any lower than that. Still safe or not really?

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
It is safe to drive as long as you keep your coolant topped off for a few weeks until your ready to take it into the dealership for the fix.
Old 12-18-17, 06:28 AM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I topped it off off last night and it’s back to Right below low, but won’t go any lower than that. Still safe or not really?
I would say, still safe. Like mentioned above, just keep topping it off every couple days and you should be fine. Mine would also stay around the low mark and never any lower.
Old 12-19-17, 10:31 AM
drifto
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I topped up my coolant reservoir back in June and now it's back to low again. Perhaps I have the famous coolant valley plate leak?
Old 12-22-17, 11:32 AM
Fondue
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Update for me. My car is currently sitting at Lexus and I'm in a loaner. Couple months ago they determined that I had a valley plate leak and I asked if they could contact corporate and see if I could get some relief with the bill. I've been checking in and they still haven't gotten a response. In the meantime my heater has been blowing cold air which is a direct result of the valley plate leak apparently. We just had snow here in SA and I was freezing my *** off on the way home so my service adviser told me to just bring my car in and he'd put me in a loaner and maybe that would speed up the response from corporate. That was almost 2 weeks ago now, so the waiting game continues.
Old 12-22-17, 03:18 PM
s2kjer
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fondue
Update for me. My car is currently sitting at Lexus and I'm in a loaner. Couple months ago they determined that I had a valley plate leak and I asked if they could contact corporate and see if I could get some relief with the bill. I've been checking in and they still haven't gotten a response. In the meantime my heater has been blowing cold air which is a direct result of the valley plate leak apparently. We just had snow here in SA and I was freezing my *** off on the way home so my service adviser told me to just bring my car in and he'd put me in a loaner and maybe that would speed up the response from corporate. That was almost 2 weeks ago now, so the waiting game continues.
Sounds like you got a good dealer, but 2 weeks is a little excessive. You should of gotten a response within a week on if they were willing to help at all.
Have they already reached out to the dealer's representative? That is the first step after you call them...

Quick Reply: who has had coolant leak around valley plate?