IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Odd comparison but: IS-F vs Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-16, 08:50 AM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Odd comparison but: IS-F vs Genesis

Not sure if many have cross shopped but just throwing this out there.

I'm looking at an older model IS-F. Probably 2008-2009 with anywhere from 75K-100K
75K mile one around $28K, 100K mile one around $22K

vs

New 2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 with most bells and whistles (lane assist, smart cruise control, etc). There is a leftover model for around $39K (new but with 4,000 miles. Probably demo or loaner car)

Both have 5 liter V8 with almost same HP (416 vs 420). Gas mileage is almost the same.

Externally I think the IS-F looks better. It's the type of car to turn heads. Genesis is still a rare car but not same cache.

IS-F is faster but with 400+hp you aren't going to be hurting for power with either car. I wont track any of these cars. Just like the HP for some get-up and passing.

I k now they don't target the same audience but it is a tough choice.

I kind of have a hard time paying almost $30 grand for a car with 80,000 miles on it. Pay a little more and get a brand new car with basically same power.

But something about the IS-F just draws me in.
Old 04-13-16, 08:56 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NikonGuy
Not sure if many have cross shopped but just throwing this out there.

I'm looking at an older model IS-F. Probably 2008-2009 with anywhere from 75K-100K
75K mile one around $28K, 100K mile one around $22K

vs

New 2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 with most bells and whistles (lane assist, smart cruise control, etc). There is a leftover model for around $39K (new but with 4,000 miles. Probably demo or loaner car)

Both have 5 liter V8 with almost same HP (416 vs 420). Gas mileage is almost the same.

Externally I think the IS-F looks better. It's the type of car to turn heads. Genesis is still a rare car but not same cache.

IS-F is faster but with 400+hp you aren't going to be hurting for power with either car. I wont track any of these cars. Just like the HP for some get-up and passing.

I k now they don't target the same audience but it is a tough choice.

I kind of have a hard time paying almost $30 grand for a car with 80,000 miles on it. Pay a little more and get a brand new car with basically same power.

But something about the IS-F just draws me in.
Drive the Genesis, realize it has no soul, buy the ISF.
Old 04-13-16, 09:02 AM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
Drive the Genesis, realize it has no soul, buy the ISF.
One thing is if they just halfway maintain the Lexus it will still look and drive as new.

My IS250 just ticked over 100K and still no rattles or squeaks. Interior is clean with no rips. Sure it's dated but I like the simple interior design.

Weird thing is I haven't driven either of these cars. Just looking for now. But once I drive them that hopefully will make my decision easier.
Old 04-13-16, 09:08 AM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

i would say 2 different cars for sure, while i like all the bells and whistles all the new cars have i definitely like what the isf has to offer, interior is simple and clean, also i don't know how reliable the genesis is but lexus have proven to be reliable for a very long time now.

i see that you are in colorado if you wanna drive mine let me know.
Old 04-13-16, 09:08 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

For $40K you can get a low mileage (less than 40K) ISF. With that said, you should drive both and decide.

I have never been in a Genesis - but I suspect dynamically the F will be far, far superior. You are comparing a new luxury cruiser with a V8 to a track capable, purpose built, sports sedan. 2 very different animals (other than the V8).
Old 04-13-16, 09:16 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Both have similar HP figures but the Genesis 5.0 is significantly heavier (4500lbs IIRC) resulting in acceleration times similar to a V6 Camry. Really not in the same league performance wise with the ISF...

It's an odd comparison indeed because you should be cross shopping the big Genesis sedan with the Lexus GS line instead and I would pick the Lexus GS350 over it. Has all the new bells and whistles, handles better and even with a V6 it has similar acceleration to the Genesis V8 5.0.

Won't go into the whole Lexus vs. Hyundai thing because I'm sure everybody has their opinion on that subject. ,

If you plan to keep the car forever then it won't matter but to think what the depreciation would be like a few years down the road for a $40,000+ Hyundai, it's a scary thought.

Not gonna lie though, the New Genesis sedan is a good looking car, one of their best designs to date.
Old 04-13-16, 09:16 AM
DBrian
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes that is an odd comparison, yet i can see there are a couple common features; as you mention the 5.0 liter engine, also an 8-speed auto. Genesis is a bit slower but 0-60 in about 5 even is pretty impressive for a 4600-lb car.
If you want to compare, Genesis is really more similar to a Lexus LS 460 or an Acura RL. it is more of a large luxury cruiser with a softer ride than can float over potholes and super quiet interior. the interior space is vastly larger than our IS-Fs, especially in the back seat.
Hyundai has come a long way with quality and warranty; probably better than the hardware coming out of Detroit these days (which isn't saying much).
One drawback though i think you'll find is that Hyundai will not hold it's resale value as well as a Toyota/Lexus product.
Its pretty subjective and depends on what you want to project, i think the Genesis as you infer will not turn heads as much and is more of an "older man's car".
The IS-F is more of a rocket that gets the attention of the Porsche and BMW drivers sharing the road with you...
Old 04-13-16, 09:18 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd rather have a used LS460 than a Genesis
Old 04-13-16, 09:22 AM
JaponesV8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ones a quick modern comfortable luxury cruiser
Ones an older quicker sport sedan you'll feel every crack and bump in

The biggest thing I notice is how dated the interior feels compared to say an RCF. I'm looking for basically a 4dr RELIABLE sports car under $40k that I can drive to 150k miles (same as my current car).

There are faster, newer and more luxurious options to be sure. For my seemingly very niche requirements, the ISF fits the bill.
Old 04-13-16, 09:28 AM
DBrian
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And again as others have suggested, if you're really looking at spending as much as $39k, for an IS-F you could easily afford perhaps as new as a 2011 or 2012 model and less than 50k miles.
Old 04-13-16, 09:39 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

It depends on what you're looking for really. The ISF is definitely more of a head turner for sure. In my part of town the Genesis is definitely not rare. There's several I see everyday, one even attempted to get a run at me. I put that to bed real quick. It might have a V8 and 420hp but being 800lbs over the ISF. It's definitely a slower car. The last time I checked, it was compared more to an E class MB. Its more luxury than sport IMHO. The ISF gives you a taste of luxury but it's more sports driven in comparison.
Old 04-13-16, 09:44 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

There is a reason a used ISF is within a comparable price range to a brand new Genesis
Old 04-13-16, 09:46 AM
JaponesV8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
It depends on what you're looking for really. The ISF is definitely more of a head turner for sure. In my part of town the Genesis is definitely not rare. There's several I see everyday, one even attempted to get a run at me. I put that to bed real quick. It might have a V8 and 420hp but being 800lbs over the ISF. It's definitely a slower car. The last time I checked, it was compared more to an E class MB. Its more luxury than sport IMHO. The ISF gives you a taste of luxury but it's more sports driven in comparison.
Haha I'm not sure if I'd categorize as a head turner. Maybe of the 10% of males who know what an ISF is. To most, its a Camry looking older Lexus. Don't get me wrong, I'm that 10% of people who loves the ISF, but let's be honest.....this is no Porsche Turbo/M3 etc
Old 04-13-16, 09:46 AM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

Agreed that they don't target the same audience. The Genesis only looks good from the front with that big grill (but in CO we kind of destroy that big grill with our required front license plate). The rear is bland but yes the dimensions are bigger and would able to take family on road trips with it. But we do have a Forester for those trips.

As a daily driver I probably would get more enjoyment out of IS-F. Also most of the depreciation has been eaten by previous buyer.

I'm sure the Genesis will be under $25K in two years.
Old 04-13-16, 10:25 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i saw one last week that was unintentionally trying to run against me. or maybe the guy was intentionally running against me. either way, two different animals so can't really compare them as the Genesis is geared for 50 plus people.

Quick Reply: Odd comparison but: IS-F vs Genesis