IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Crack in Exhaust Manifold...

Old 10-19-17, 10:48 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lawrence1
not my cup of tea. I don't feel like dealing with the issues that come with aftermarket headers.

Wish the dealership staff would listen better to their customers feedback and not try to rush through stuff. They apparently let the car run for over an hour while they performed the airbag recall and then tried to listen for the noise at idle ... even though i specifically asked them to listen for it on a cold start.

We'll go through the exercise again today, with a cold start while i am listening on the phone since i'm not in town to do it in person. that should do it.

Have them pull off the exhaust manifold heatshield and look for staining on the underside from exhaust leaking from the manifold.
Old 10-19-17, 12:04 PM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Have them pull off the exhaust manifold heatshield and look for staining on the underside from exhaust leaking from the manifold.
They started the car again with me on the phone this morning and the foreman and service advisor are insisting this is normal high pressure fuel pump noise. I told them to do just what you suggested. we'll see what they come back with. I'll be back home tonight and will go over there tomorrow. How are people so incompetent? anyone that's ever heard an exhaust leak should be able to easily tell this is an exhaust leak.
Old 10-24-17, 03:06 PM
Magnaflow
Former Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just as a quick update for anyone who recently had this issue: we currently have a few of our CARB-legal replacements in stock (both sides) and can be ordered through any authorized Magnaflow dealer. You can find our local resellers by visiting our website here:
http://www.magnaflow.com/where-to-buy/local-dealers/

Originally Posted by cvt
Holy cow! I did not know this was an option! It's even got a CARB EO#. Thank you for the heads up! This is a good option for guys in Cali who don't want to pay the $1,500 per manifold price from the dealer or risk getting an aftermarket header.
Originally Posted by Rossi
Wondering if the design is improved over the OEM one as far as flow and hopefully the Magnaflow manifold won't crack.
Also 95% of Lexus dealer will not touch an aftermarket part, so independent shop is the only option to install in most cases.
Originally Posted by ultimase
It is interesting that magnaflow already has a product that they've gone through the trouble of having carb tested. It doesn't looks like it's been produced for any significant gains over the stock manifold. If that's the case then the question is magnaflow obviously see's a market for these, so maybe this failure isn't as rare as we thought?
Originally Posted by cvt
I think that's the only way to go. Which is great because you can get the install for much cheaper as well. Just need to do research on any indy shops that have done header installs on the ISF...I'm sure there's quite a few in SoCal.
Believe it or not, the majority of our business is actually in catalytic converters! All Magnaflow cats are designed to be a direct replacement for the OE units. We do not claim any performance gains or increased flow from using them.
As far as the install, it will depend on the relationship you have with your local dealership. We have heard of dealerships installing our catbacks and other bolt-ons for customers before, but we imagine most will not feel comfortable with installing a non-OE cat, even with an EO number. We would recommend having them put on by one of our authorized installers in Socal, which can also be found by visiting the link above.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No. If it were that easy I might have considered staying. The entire assembly has to be functionally identical to the OEM part because the OEM part passed all the tests and the only way CARB will approve an aftermarket piece is if it is truly identical. I had an HKS SSQV in recirculate mode on my Supra and it would not pass smog. I put the broken OEM BOV in its place (the rubber inside had turned to glass and chipped off so it did not seal at all) and passed smog with flying colors. Stupid as stupid gets, but those are the rules. There is no way to get any aftermarket header with or without cats to legally pass smog in California.

I think it's awesome Magnaflow even bothered to develop and test these headers AND paid CARB the extortion money to get them approved. I have a whole new respect for them.
We appreciate that, Lobux. We make sure to play by all the rules so that we can offer a product to customers that is a hassle-free 100% street-legal replacement.

While the Magnaflow replacement might be enticing at first glance, do your homework on the quality of their cats. I had a Magnaflow replacement cat on my M3 several years back, and it failed within 2 years. I remember reading numerous reports all over the internet with similar outcomes.
Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Your tune has a lot to do with a cat's service life. The more rich the tune, the shorter the service life. There are a lot of reasons why the OEMS use fat tuning, but mostly because running rich won't cause warranty failures like running tight or running lean. And while it would be handy to be able to say their stuff has a high failure rate because it's posted on the 'Net, that's anecdotal evidence at best. Only Magnaflow know for sure what their failure rate it. Coming from BMW, I am sure you've seen the horror stories of bearing failures in BMWs, but I suspect if you queried 100 actual owners, you'd find the number of failures to be a whole lot smaller than the scary posts might make you believe. We have the same thing here with the valley plate leak (there's a thread on it), and it surely is an ugly failure, but no one here can say for sure if it's 1 in 10, 1 in 100, or 1 in 1000. We just know folks who have had the problem and once it's posted somewhere, Google lets others who have had a failure know there is a thread about it, so it becomes a lightning rod for complaints.

I make no claims for Magnaflow's quality, just concerned that making a blanket statement based on anecdotal evidence isn't fair to the manufacturer at all.
We appreciate your realistic approach. Catalytic converters are designed to last the life of the vehicle, so when we hear of one failing after a short period of time, there is usually an external cause that contributed to the failure. We do have a manufacturer warranty on all our products that covers them against any defects, but we do not cover failure resulting from aftermarket tunes, faulty ignition system components, etc. If you have one of our products and believe them to be defective, please contact our support team at 1-800-990-0905 so we can get some additional details. We are happy to take a closer look at them to determine the cause of the issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by Magnaflow:
avgj0F (10-24-17), lobuxracer (10-24-17)
Old 10-26-17, 12:17 PM
lawrence1
Intermediate

UPDATE:

Spoke to the dealership, they ended up doing the job by dropping the sub frame (i told them to do an online search for IS-F header installs before dropping the drive train out of the car). Pass side was cracked all the way around, driver's side had just started cracking. both sides were replaced and covered by the California Emissions Warranty. I'm happy with the result.
Old 10-26-17, 12:18 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

UPDATE:

Spoke to the dealership, they ended up doing the job by dropping the sub frame (i told them to do an online search for IS-F header installs before dropping the drive train out of the car). Pass side was cracked all the way around, driver's side had just started cracking. both sides were replaced and covered by the California Emissions Warranty. I'm happy with the result.
Good for you.
Old 11-15-17, 06:35 PM
antnguyen
Driver School Candidate

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts

Add me to the list. My symptoms were ticking sound on initial startup and ticking during acceleration
Old 11-16-17, 06:09 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by antnguyen
Add me to the list. My symptoms were ticking sound on initial startup and ticking during acceleration
Hey! Where'd you get that first aid kit? I didn't get a first aid kit??

Ironic that it's in the same shot as the manifolds - I wonder if there's a slip in there that reads "to prevent choking, contact Sikky / PPE."
The following users liked this post:
Vervish (11-16-17)
Old 11-16-17, 02:17 PM
antnguyen
Driver School Candidate

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
Hey! Where'd you get that first aid kit? I didn't get a first aid kit??

Ironic that it's in the same shot as the manifolds - I wonder if there's a slip in there that reads "to prevent choking, contact Sikky / PPE."
LOL that is ironic, I didn't notice that. The kit came with the car when I bought it .
Old 11-16-17, 03:56 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,477 Likes on 1,232 Posts

That is quite the failure mode and seemingly always the rear flanges.

It **looks like** loading from hanging the exhaust system, coupled with poor design has that rear section pulling away from the block and the mounting flange is litterally shearing off the end of the rolled pipe. Is that correct?

Can someone take a close up of the flange and confirm the rolled pipe end is still inside the flange?

And why hasn't someone tacked the flange in place, pull the header and weld it 360°? Outside....

Just saying if you don't want to upgrade, are out of warranty, and if the cats are good, weld it up.
Old 11-20-17, 03:24 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Why isn’t Lexus making a recall about this?? Exhaust smell can kill you and or make you sleepy while driving... something needs to be done so they cover all of the expense and make a proper recall.
Old 11-20-17, 09:16 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by isfdude
Why isn’t Lexus making a recall about this?? Exhaust smell can kill you and or make you sleepy while driving... something needs to be done so they cover all of the expense and make a proper recall.
Lexus would have to redesign the manifold first. Oh I would love te get reimbursement for my headers :-)
Old 11-20-17, 11:02 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

Crack in stock manifold = aftermarket headers!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 11-20-17, 05:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by isfdude
Because only a few are failing under warranty, and those are being handled. The vast majority are out of warranty.
Old 04-08-18, 12:27 PM
kianISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bought the 08 ISF with 99k at ODO. Ticking noise at start up and disappeared while in park after a couple of minutes. I get the burning smell/exhaust smell on and off and waiting for an evaluation from the dealer
Old 04-11-18, 12:02 PM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kianISF
Bought the 08 ISF with 99k at ODO. Ticking noise at start up and disappeared while in park after a couple of minutes. I get the burning smell/exhaust smell on and off and waiting for an evaluation from the dealer
Unfortunately it sounds like you have a cracked manifold. Most likely passenger side. Be aware that these are very expensive parts and there is a lot of labor involved. Dealer will likely quote $4-5k for the repair. An indy can probably remove the manifold and weld it for a fraction of that if you're looking to save some money.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crack in Exhaust Manifold...