Chassis Braces for ISF

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-16, 07:26 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Question Chassis Braces for ISF

Gentlemen,

Any idea who sells chassis braces for the ISF.

So far the only place I'm finding is GT-Spec (http://www.gtspec.com/catalog/produc...-/-is350-/-isf) but are there any vendors other than GT-spec that sell these braces?
Old 03-24-16, 09:36 AM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ultra racing also makes braces for the F. That being said, the F platform is actually pretty stiff from the factory. I always drive my car to a place where I'm "3 wheeling" where one wheel is off the ground and then open and shut the doors.. In my tsx you could really feel it catch but there is minimal flex with the ISF. But.. Prepare for an onslaught of very differing opinions
Old 03-24-16, 11:04 AM
Defratos
Racer

Thanks for the feedback,

well after over 3 years of driving the ISF aggressively pretty much daily I'm starting to feel the car having difficulty handling well at high speed. (anything from 120-150mph)

I already have the front and rear sikky sways, and the RR LCA, 245/275 PSS,s but only stock suspension.

The front end doesn't feel as balanced as it used to be. Seems the car is heavier in the back than the front (visually this can be seen). I've replaced the rear passenger side suspension after it started leaking a few months back.

I just feel the car could handle better at high speed lane changing, and by high speed I mean anything from 125-150mph.

I have a daily stretch that I take out in the middle of the desert which gets me into those speeds so I'm starting to feel that some braces up front would help.

I'm thinking of the bottom chassis braces such as the GTS-SUS 1298 and the GTS-SUS-1295 which seem to stiffen up the front portion of the car.

Name:  is250prs_2_zpsscukj68a.jpg
Views: 1670
Size:  156.0 KB
Old 03-24-16, 11:13 AM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh wow, well you push it pretty damn hard.. Wish I was in a area I was able to do that! I know Tom's makes a chassis brace but its hard to find a really damn expensive.

On my old TL and TSX I had ultra racing stuff and it was pretty well made.

But they have a 4 point chassis brace that I think is exactly what your looking for.

http://www.ultraracing.my/catalog/in...oller=category
Old 03-24-16, 11:19 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

By all means do what you feel most comfortable with but to me it sounds much more like a bad damper, worn bushings, and/or bad alignment issue rather than a chassis flex issue. Honestly, if the chassis were truly flexing so much that you to feel the car wander/wiggle (purely from chassis flex) at speed then something is seriously wrong (but I am 99.9% sure the chassis isn't the issue here)

Also replacing just one damper and leaving the other 3 can cause some funky stuff as the damping curves could be wildly different depending on how many miles the others have. It is possible that is a contributor.

-Matt M.
Old 03-24-16, 11:29 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Tom's Racing offers chasis parts but I'm not sure if they're discontinued, I can always find out!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-24-16, 11:29 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
By all means do what you feel most comfortable with but to me it sounds much more like a bad damper, worn bushings, and/or bad alignment issue rather than a chassis flex issue. Honestly, if the chassis were truly flexing so much that you to feel the car wander/wiggle (purely from chassis flex) at speed then something is seriously wrong (but I am 99.9% sure the chassis isn't the issue here)

Also replacing just one damper and leaving the other 3 can cause some funky stuff as the damping curves could be wildly different depending on how many miles the others have. It is possible that is a contributor.

-Matt M.
Ditto. Spring sag and damper fatigue are more likely than chassis flex. Odds are you'll buy the braces and it will still feel pretty squishy with lateral movement. You'd be way ahead to replace the suspension, even if it is just new OEM stuff.
Old 03-24-16, 12:12 PM
Defratos
Racer

Originally Posted by H1_OFICR
Oh wow, well you push it pretty damn hard.. Wish I was in a area I was able to do that! I know Tom's makes a chassis brace but its hard to find a really damn expensive.

On my old TL and TSX I had ultra racing stuff and it was pretty well made.

But they have a 4 point chassis brace that I think is exactly what your looking for.

http://www.ultraracing.my/catalog/in...oller=category
Thanks for the link

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA

-Matt M.
Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Ditto. Spring sag and damper fatigue are more likely than chassis flex. Odds are you'll buy the braces and it will still feel pretty squishy with lateral movement. You'd be way ahead to replace the suspension, even if it is just new OEM stuff.
Agree with both of your comments.

I've had the car for 3 years and since 1 spring had to be changed and general ware and tear then I'm sure that would have made things worse.

I would switch to aftermarket coilovers but I'm worried about being too low or too stiff. I haven't even started looking at a new suspension setup so maybe that's a better route to look at for the time being.
Old 03-24-16, 12:13 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hit those speeds daily as well in my 08 with 93,xxx miles and it feels perfectly fine and balanced. My current suspension is from a 2012 with bout 45,xxx miles. It feels better then brandnew KWV3's and RSR-iSports with 10,xxx miles IMO. I also have figs LCA bushing, which I noticed and felt a world of difference after installing them.

I was always told to replace dampers in pairs as they do fatigue.

I'm finally installing my Penske coils tomorrow with a few other odds and ends, can't wait!
Old 03-24-16, 02:18 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I wanted to install GTSpec's lower front braces at the same time as new LCA bushings. Ordered 'em on 3/11 and was just advised yesterday (by GTSpec) that they're not in stock & my order was canceled. They've not yet responded to my inquiry on when (or if) they will become available in the future.
Old 03-25-16, 08:38 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

http://m.ebay.com/itm/GTSPEC-Front-2-Point-Lower-Tie-Brace-for-Lexus-IS250-IS350-ISF-/351656635025?nav=SEARCH
http://m.ebay.com/itm/GTSPEC-Rear-Lower-Tie-Brace-IS250-IS350-ISF-/350497182624?nav=SEARCH
Old 04-27-20, 02:50 AM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry to revive an old thread but has anyone tried the Ultra Racing braces on this car? I'm more interested on all the bottom braces. Wasn't even sure if they are worth pursuing?

Old 04-27-20, 09:38 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

I wouldn't bother with the 6 point big brace in the rear (F sport chassis brace is superior--X design, like the CCSR) or the 2 point ones under the rear axles (they are small to begin with and delete plastic pieces which guide air). Not sure how useful shock tower braces are (I have the RR racing front one, I like it; and a Cusco rear--it has articulating points so maybe the UR rear shock tower brace is OK).
For front bracing, I would get the Megan 4 point H brace which attaches the front LCA housings together (same as GT spec, which isn't in production anymore).

I don't have comments on the front-most brace that connects the steering rack bushing housings together.

Have fun, don't add too much weight
Old 04-27-20, 10:11 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

From what I have read, the F sport brace and the Megan H brace, along with potentially the Figs tunnel brace, is really all that you need. I haven’t installed or experienced them, but that is the general consensus. Many love the RR tower brace as well. There is not any hard data on bracing so you will get subjective reports.
Old 04-27-20, 11:18 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I have their front and rear strut tower bars. Fitment is spot on and car felt more responsive to me when I first installed them, but I am pretty sure that is just placebo effect.

Bracing underneath will help..

Quick Reply: Chassis Braces for ISF