Couple Fs to Choose From

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-16, 03:54 AM
Jumpman86
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple Fs to Choose From

Hi All,
I am deciding between 2 Fs and I wanted to get your thoughts on either one.

Thanks in advance.

I maybe commuting a lot in the near future (100+ miles per day). I dontreally mind the high mileage vehicles as I know these cars are built reallywell.

1. 08 with 110K miles for $20k
- privately sold
- Nothing out of the ordinary on the service history

2. 08 with 55k miles for $26k
- Sold by a used car dealer
- a few things jumps out at me in the service history
- I was wondering if it is a good idea to take a chance on this and purchasea third party warranty to cover potential issues?

Below is the list of concerns from the service history:

Radiator was replaced due to the problem listed below
DIAG &REPORT CUST STATES VEH IS OVERHEATING AND HAS NO HEAT - RADIATOR LEAKING FROMBOTTOM TANK SEAK COST 1034.00 PLUS TAX,CUSTOMER DECLINED

No mentioned on whether the below was fixed

STEERINGWHL/MAIN SHAFT CHECK STEERING AND REPORT - CUSTOMER STATES STEERING WHEN LOCKEDCOULD NOT THE WHEEL IN THE MORNING.STEERING IS HARD NOW - FOUND DTC'S STOREDC1290 AND STEERING HARD AND NOTCHY AND LOCKING UP INTERMITTENTLY - RECOMMENDREPLACING STEERING RACK AND STEERING ECU

FRONT/REARBODY INSPECT BODY.0 CUSTOMER STATES NEEDS ESTIMATE FOR UNDERCARRI AGE DAMAGE,BUMPERS, AND SIDE SKIRTS,BODY ESTIMATE –

WHEELALIGNMENT CUST STATES WHEELS WERE STOLEN ON THE VEH.CAR WAS LEFT ON THE GROUNDEVER SINCE THE WOBBLE FEELING AT 30MPH - STEERING SYSTEM MALFUNCTION
Old 03-17-16, 04:31 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd say go for the first one.

Might have more mileage on it, but you are going to be racking up the mileage with your 100+ mile a day commutes anyway!

What are you thinking in the longer term? If you plan on keeping the car for a while, the first one would be worth buying subject to everything checking out when you view/test drive it.

That extra $6K difference could go a long way to addressing some of the changes you might consider to bring it up to the same(or better) level than the newer models?

If not, it's $6K worth of fuel and servicing costs!
Old 03-17-16, 05:13 AM
Jumpman86
Rookie

Thanks, looking to keep it long term.

Thanks for your feedback.

I may pick up the warranty for that one as well if I go with it.
Old 03-17-16, 08:53 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if the high mileage is clean and you can negotiate a lower price, go for it. when you have a low mileage ultra clean car you have to daily drive 100 miles a day, you tend to be more care full and not enjoy it as much b/c you're worried about things. $18K would an awesome deal for it.
Old 03-20-16, 09:35 PM
Jumpman86
Rookie

Thanks All.

Is the second option acceptable if it passes dealer ppi?

Thanks.

QUOTE=mindcrime;9410470]if the high mileage is clean and you can negotiate a lower price, go for it. when you have a low mileage ultra clean car you have to daily drive 100 miles a day, you tend to be more care full and not enjoy it as much b/c you're worried about things. $18K would an awesome deal for it.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-21-16, 10:32 AM
fsport11jg
Rookie

I think the 2nd one is definitely acceptable and appears to be a great price for 55k miles. I would want to bring it to a Lexus dealer to check out the issues referenced above as well as the overall condition of the vehicle.
Old 03-21-16, 11:36 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I would also place more emphasis on the first one. Having such problems with the second option will only lead to more immediate headaches/incurred costs. It's a buyer beware for used cars, but the first one, though high in mileage, appears to be the safer bet of the two.

As for peace of mind, I would shop around for extended warranties just in case. I purchased one for my 08, and it has a few minor things that has been addressed for well over the cost of the warranty.

Best of luck to you!
Old 03-21-16, 12:24 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

If you haven't chosen yet, how about some more details, such as:

1) What color?

2) Are either of them modified? And, if modded, is it a mod you would make to the car (ie. does it add value)?

3) Any visible defects or damage (beyond normal wear & tear) to the interior or exterior?

4) Sunroof car?

5) Recent brakes & tires? And what brand & model of tire?

I picked up an '08 last June 53k mi. Wish I had held out for my favorite color, mines MM, tbh my second choice. It had had it's radiator replaced.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited by tas02; 03-21-16 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Inattention to detail.
Old 03-21-16, 02:42 PM
RCFC89
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neither. First one has too many miles. Others may disagree but I wouldn't touch a high performance sports car with over 80k let alone 110k. Good luck finding a extended warranty company that will even cover a ISF with over 100k. Resale value always diminishes with time but with over a 100k the resale value will be dropping at a much faster rate then say a 08 with 50k miles. Most buyers are scared of spending money on a high mileage sports car regardless of Lexus's good reliability history.

The second car has too many question marks. If the car overheated even once there could be internal damage. It may not be present now but its only a matter of time.
Old 03-21-16, 02:52 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd go with the 1st.

2nd one like states has too many ?'s

The mileage wouldn't scare me if it has a proven service history. Let's emphasize on the word "Proven" here.
If it's got a good service history jump on it!
Old 03-21-16, 06:48 PM
foxprime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st option, have a peace of mind.
Old 03-22-16, 12:33 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Of those two the first, mine cracked 99k 2 days ago and has never needed anything other than normal maintenance items. I personally would look in-between those two (70-80k miles) if you're willing to go up by a few grand. That 2nd car has way too many unexplained issues.. especially for a 55k mile car, that might be normal for an M or an AMG but not an F.