IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Low oil warning light 2011ISF

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-16, 06:50 PM
Jkassaa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low oil warning light 2011ISF

Hi all I'm new to the site and wondering if anyone can assist or guide me the right way. I drove to a friends place about 35km drive as i arruved and was parking the car i noticed a low oil warning light appear now I have only had the car for about 6 weeks. I decided to cool the car down for a while drove a few hundred meters to nearest service station and topped it up anyone experience that issue. The car has travelled 72,500km and is booked for a 75 km service in a few days. Thanks John
Old 03-12-16, 07:15 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi, I started this thread last year, read it. It might give you insight. I've since switched over to Redline Brand, I take oil to Lexus dealership and supervise my go to tech pour it in. I don't have to but we both have grown accustomed to it. The oil temp portion of the thread could be irrevelant.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...emp-worry.html
Old 03-12-16, 07:25 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Im not sure what you mean how many miles have you driven before the previous service (oil change). You should make it a habit to check your oil frequently that way you know how much you need to top off during those miles. Driving with that the low oil light on is very bad and almost too late to save especially if you drive with that light on. Even a few hundred meters like you said.

That light never happened for me but as soon as I see it the car will be shut off and checked for oil. By curiosity, how much did you top off?
Old 03-12-16, 09:36 PM
Jkassaa
Driver School Candidate

Hi at the time I topped the car with about 2 liters of oil and double checked before driving off, I have had the car
Checked for any leakes or blue smoke by a mechanic and everything is checked out, My guess is the previous
Mechanic just assumed it takes 5 or so liters.
Old 03-12-16, 10:45 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

That is correct! A very common issue with our cars and novice Lexus technicians. They assume it's a v6? And only requires 5 quarts instead of 10. I haven't changed my driving pattern whatsoever and everything is all good now.
Old 03-12-16, 11:59 PM
Jkassaa
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

It makes you wonder that customers pay big money for these types of cars and inexperienced technicians can make costly mistakes like this. Thanks guys for all your assistance and hope to continue gaining knowledge with these great forum's
Old 03-13-16, 12:39 AM
empathy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

so you started off with 5 quarts and added another 2? our car is made to run with 10 quarts of oil.......
Old 03-13-16, 03:41 AM
Jkassaa
Driver School Candidate

I made sure its full I wouldn't have continued driving otherwise, i will dropp the oil tomorrow and make sure its
Well feed with fresh new oil and oil filter thanks
Old 03-13-16, 03:43 AM
Jkassaa
Driver School Candidate

On another note has anyone also replaced the fuel filter on ISF just wondering how much work is involved, reason i ask Lexus recommend to replace fuel filter on 75,000 km just wanting to know if its a simple task or does it require extensive labour time.
Old 03-13-16, 09:17 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Let the car cool down and pull out the dip stick. The oil level should be between the low and high. If it isn't....you're low on oil!!!

Make sure you add the same viscosity of oil for now (don't mix 5w-30 with 10w-30), I would add a quart and see if the oil rises above the low mark. If it isn't, keep adding until it does.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to jack up the front (the jacking point is in front of the oil pan and is marked, see manual) and check for oil leaks, make sure the oil pan gasket isn't leaking.

Report back.
Old 03-13-16, 09:20 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkassaa
It makes you wonder that customers pay big money for these types of cars and inexperienced technicians can make costly mistakes like this. Thanks guys for all your assistance and hope to continue gaining knowledge with these great forum's
Happens all the time.

This is why most of us are getting are own tools and learning how to do this ourselves. I will be doing just that as soon as my new house/garage is ready.
Old 03-13-16, 10:18 AM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkassaa
On another note has anyone also replaced the fuel filter on ISF just wondering how much work is involved, reason i ask Lexus recommend to replace fuel filter on 75,000 km just wanting to know if its a simple task or does it require extensive labour time.
Just confirming you're talking about kms and not miles.. ? I don't see fuel filter change any where on the maintenance schedule for 75K kms.
Old 03-13-16, 05:28 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by j3ff
Just confirming you're talking about kms and not miles.. ? I don't see fuel filter change any where on the maintenance schedule for 75K kms.
He is likely in a Gulf spec region where sand is an issue..

Fuel Filter maintenance is not listed in the FSM for US spec cars..

Joe Z
Old 03-13-16, 09:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
He is likely in a Gulf spec region where sand is an issue..

Fuel Filter maintenance is not listed in the FSM for US spec cars..

Joe Z
For a really good reason. You'd have to drop the fuel tank just to get to it.
Old 03-13-16, 10:44 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
For a really good reason. You'd have to drop the fuel tank just to get to it.
Didn't know we had an external filter...

I always thought it was inside the tank attached to the pump..

Joe Z

Quick Reply: Low oil warning light 2011ISF