IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

JoeZ Intake With High Flow Apexi Filter VS OEM Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-16, 09:24 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I almost forgot! You mentioned a buddy who flow tested filters and his results came back with apexi being the highest flow. Do you recall if one of the filters he tested happen to be a Tom's filter?
Old 03-19-16, 09:37 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by k20trick
Bump TTT updated results on the first post guys! Enjoy!
Appreciate your independent reviews & comments...

We've been practically given away those extra 5 Rwhp since 2008..

Joe Z
Old 03-19-16, 10:05 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Awesome review and just an awesome stand up product! JoeZ once again, proven real WHP gain!
Old 03-20-16, 08:30 AM
josh810
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

welp... this thread cost me 88 bucks. Nevertheless great job k20trick!
Old 03-20-16, 09:13 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Miqueaseli
Thanks for spending the time and money and effort in this research. Pretty sure lurkers that never post will enjoy and know where and to spend they're MOD money . See you soon
Thank you thank you!!! Come thru anytime (weekend though) man we can have a beer and swap out those fluids and we have tons of bomb pupusas and tamales that are stuffed like no other (the only way I like it). I practically live in lil tj so I gotta enjoy whats around.

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
I almost forgot! You mentioned a buddy who flow tested filters and his results came back with apexi being the highest flow. Do you recall if one of the filters he tested happen to be a Tom's filter?
Yeah it was EMAN in Ventura, however I believe it was between a big coned KN filter vs a apexi filter that was 1/4 the size and it suprisingly outflowed the kn.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Appreciate your independent reviews & comments...

We've been practically given away those extra 5 Rwhp since 2008..

Joe Z
Yes Sir! Thanks for the stickers man they are on the intake now and it actually makes it look a lot cleaner. I never like stickers too. Oh and btw do you think Lexus made that intake the way it is on purpose, I'm not kidding when I say the car likes to jump forward with a little touch of gas especially in sport mode with your intake on. It may be added instant torque and quite dangerous for the people that dont know, but for going fast it feels good and the response is there for people who are heavy footed like me. Literally makes a drastic throttle reponse from normal to sport with the intake it actually feels like it makes it a different beast than with the oem intake.

Originally Posted by josh810
welp... this thread cost me 88 bucks. Nevertheless great job k20trick!
How'd it cost you $88? If your referring to buying a filter, you've gained cheap and easy hp for the car it added more than 5hp/5torque one of the best bang for bucks imo especially on a n/a car, even on a stock intake system.
Old 03-20-16, 09:21 AM
josh810
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How'd it cost you $88? If your referring to buying a filter, you've gained cheap and easy hp for the car it added more than 5hp/5torque one of the best bang for bucks imo especially on a n/a car, even on a stock intake system.
Yep, Swapping out my K&N oil based filter. However I've recently checked my MAF and it was dry, not oily at all. But since you guys have flow tested the apexi I guess ill give it a shot. I've had the JoeZ Pipe for a minute. BTW what part of cali do you reside in, Ive owned my USB F in the Downtown/ Mid city and I've only seen maybe 5 in 5 years all outside of LA.
Old 03-20-16, 09:33 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Originally Posted by josh810
Yep, Swapping out my K&N oil based filter. However I've recently checked my MAF and it was dry, not oily at all. But since you guys have flow tested the apexi I guess ill give it a shot. I've had the JoeZ Pipe for a minute. BTW what part of cali do you reside in, Ive owned my USB F in the Downtown/ Mid city and I've only seen maybe 5 in 5 years all outside of LA.
Same area in Dtown LA. Good to know I have a USB neighbor.
Old 03-20-16, 09:43 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Did you dyno your car on the same day once with the stock set up and then with the modded set up? How many runs did you do for each?
Old 03-20-16, 09:48 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Originally Posted by jat0223
Did you dyno your car on the same day once with the stock set up and then with the modded set up? How many runs did you do for each?
Yes of course... Same day dyno on all pulls, 3 consecutive pulls for each one with ten minute cool downs after the 3rd run on each setup.
Old 03-20-16, 10:00 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes of course... Same day dyno on all pulls, 3 consecutive pulls for each one with ten minute cool downs after the 3rd run on each setup.
Now the real test would be if the gains stick, which was the problem that members from the original comparison thread were having. After driving a few hundred miles and having the computer adjust, the gains went back to normal.
Old 03-20-16, 11:40 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Originally Posted by jat0223
Now the real test would be if the gains stick, which was the problem that members from the original comparison thread were having. After driving a few hundred miles and having the computer adjust, the gains went back to normal.
Yeah they can say what they want, but if it's true then that means I should have obviously lost the hp I gained from installing the PPE headers and Borla Catback exhaust which have been on for over a month and over 1k miles.

The real test is that this intake and filter makes power.
Old 03-21-16, 12:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Might want to read through this thread before proclaiming victory:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...bs-here-3.html

I am extremely skeptical of dyno results. Caymandive has both dynos and runs at the drag strip to back up the dynos. Hard to beat this kind of data.
Old 03-21-16, 07:04 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Good thread, but havent been able to go through it all yet, it sounds like the first testing was done on a stock motor. On my testing, I added a filter to the stock intake first which made power, and the joez next which bumped it up even more. Maybe the intake works better with supporting mods such as the header and true dual exhaust as I have on my car now.

Another isf dynod 444whp here with the same mods as I except I had cats, so I dynod roughly 15hp less which seems consistent. He also had less than half the miles I had which is around 30k.
Old 03-22-16, 06:35 PM
calteg
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

The apexi drop in filter. Got it from a vendor here ModInJapan when they had the sale. I bought the apexi over anything else because I have a buddy who flow tested filters and his results came back with apexi being the highest flow.
Thanks for actually providing dyno results.

A high flowing filter is nice, but I'll sacrifice 3hp for one that actually filters well.
Old 03-22-16, 07:01 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Originally Posted by calteg
Thanks for actually providing dyno results.

A high flowing filter is nice, but I'll sacrifice 3hp for one that actually filters well.
Not sure what you mean by that, but it was more like 5whp+/5+torque. The filter added more power than the intake did.

Quick Reply: JoeZ Intake With High Flow Apexi Filter VS OEM Review