IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Buying a car from texas....im in california

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-16, 04:33 PM
TranV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buying a car from texas....im in california

Anyone have the experience of buying a car from out of state? I'm not sure how tax , smog ect... After I ship the car to California...thanks in advance for sharing
Old 02-26-16, 04:42 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe you pay all those fees in your own state when you do the title transfer. What are you buying? I'll drive it over there for you
Old 02-26-16, 04:47 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TranV
Anyone have the experience of buying a car from out of state? I'm not sure how tax , smog ect... After I ship the car to California...thanks in advance for sharing
You pay for all this stuff (tax, title, fees, etc.) when you register the car in California. I believe if the car is under 6 years old from factory, even if you're buying used, you don't need to smog. You'll get the notice once the car reaches 6 years, from when it was first purchased from original dealer.

What car did you buy?
Old 02-26-16, 04:47 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

You pay taxes and fees at the time you register the car at the DMV..
Old 02-26-16, 04:53 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

private party or dealer? NEW or USED it makes a difference.

if it is new or used from dealer, the dealership is required to prepare the tax based on the address of where you live/car will be registered, so the tax should be taken care of during the sale transaction.

doesn't matter what state you buy from the dealer must charge you the tax from your state/city/county.

as far as smog, if it is a 49 state certified vehicle, then you will need to have a full smog test done before CA DMV will release the registration to you.

if it is CA smog certified or a 50 state certified vehicle, then you only need to do the TEST ONLY smog test on a USED vehicle (any vehicle with more than 7,500 miles), nothing required if it falls under the NEW vehicle description (any vehicle with under 7,500 miles and under 7 years old), again it will have to be done before the registration is released to you, I am not 100% but I believe you have 60 days to do it from the date of purchase.

everything you need to know is on the DMV website:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcmath:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29

if it is private party, you will pay the taxes to the DMV when you go to register it.
Old 02-26-16, 05:05 PM
TranV
Lead Lap

Thanks guys... I'm looking at a 2014 GX460 in Texas at a non Lexus dealership about 20k miles...hard to find the color combo near me...another question is that if I offered the guy OTD price, does that mean that I have to pay tax again when I register it in California? Or tax are paid up front with the dealer? And if it's a 49 state emission car, does it have a chance to be register in Cali?
Old 02-26-16, 05:07 PM
TranV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS-F
I believe you pay all those fees in your own state when you do the title transfer. What are you buying? I'll drive it over there for you
Don't you threaten me with happiness Mr...
Old 02-26-16, 05:11 PM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks guys... I'm looking at a 2014 GX460 in Texas at a non Lexus dealership about 20k miles...hard to find the color combo near me...another question is that if I offered the guy OTD price, does that mean that I have to pay tax again when I register it in California? Or tax are paid up front with the dealer? And if it's a 49 state emission car, does it have a chance to be register in Cali?
You pay the taxes and registration for the state you reside in, not the state you purchase the vehicle from. I've bought vehicles out of state before and they typically don't bother with sales tax and registration- I just had to write the check at the dmv when I registered it and got plates.
Old 02-26-16, 05:12 PM
TranV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mjeds
private party or dealer? NEW or USED it makes a difference. if it is new or used from dealer, the dealership is required to prepare the tax based on the address of where you live/car will be registered, so the tax should be taken care of during the sale transaction. doesn't matter what state you buy from the dealer must charge you the tax from your state/city/county. as far as smog, if it is a 49 state certified vehicle, then you will need to have 50 state certified?a full smog test done before CA DMV will release the registration to you. if it is CA smog certified or a 50 state certified vehicle, then you only need to do the TEST ONLY smog test on a USED vehicle (any vehicle with more than 7,500 miles), nothing required if it falls under the NEW vehicle description (any vehicle with under 7,500 miles and under 7 years old), again it will have to be done before the registration is released to you, I am not 100% but I believe you have 60 days to do it from the date of purchase. everything you need to know is on the DMV website: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcmath:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29 if it is private party, you will pay the taxes to the DMV when you go to register it.
Thank you sir...it all make sense after reading it the second time...it all make sense now Another question, are Texas vehicles considered 50 states certified?
Old 02-26-16, 05:49 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Thank you sir...it all make sense after reading it the second time...it all make sense now Another question, are Texas vehicles considered 50 states certified?

you will need to look at the smog certification sticker under the hood, maybe have the dealer take a picture of it for you.

49 or 50 state certifications are not state specific, they are manufacturer and some times model specific.
Old 02-26-16, 07:49 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Time for headers and exhaust for the GX460? You'd probably be the first one! LOL

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 02-26-16, 07:56 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

]Message Tokenblkgy he got his F from Texas and can probably answer lots of questions and lives in California.
Old 02-26-16, 09:50 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Make sure the bill of sale says they sold it for you for one dollar.....so you get charged minimum tax lol
Old 02-27-16, 12:31 AM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Like many people mentioned, you just pay sales tax based off of your state which in this case is California. I don't know why, maybe it's a VN thing but my parents had the same misconception about buying out of state cars as well, thinking they would get charged taxes there AND in our home state. I purchased my ISF in California and brought it back to Arizona, private party so no taxes but almost purchased an ISF in Chicago and they were gonna charge me 5.5% tax rate at the time. I also didn't have to do a smog check or anything since the car was still new.
Old 02-27-16, 12:51 AM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought my car from Texas. Please get inspection and test drive. Most used car dealer in Texas are crook.

Quick Reply: Buying a car from texas....im in california