IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone have a DIY on coolant change/flush

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-16, 06:07 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts
Default anyone have a DIY on coolant change/flush

i always work on most things on cars but one of my few pet peeves is doing coolant flush/change.

is the F just like every other car? although i dont need it, im putting in a new water pump at the same time. anyone with a DIY would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 02-09-16, 08:46 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

I believe there is a plastic drain plug on the bottom mid of radiator drain and refill I suppose, not sure if the system will need to be burped, but my previous cars I usually burped it and let it go through some cycles with car on..
Old 02-09-16, 08:53 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by k20trick
I believe there is a plastic drain plug on the bottom mid of radiator drain and refill I suppose, not sure if the system will need to be burped, but my previous cars I usually burped it and let it go through some cycles with car on..

im positive it will have to bled or "burped". im just not sure if this car can do it easily manually like most cars or need some type of techstream for help. im familiar with coolant flushes , just not on this car. thanks for the reply.
Old 02-09-16, 08:58 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Yeah true that! On previous cars the radiator itself had a cap on it making it easy to burp the system, however with this isf radiator it doesnt seem to have one.

I got lucky, I would've also done it myself, but I got a free flush by the dealership when they performed the coolant valley plate reseal.
Old 02-10-16, 02:16 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I did this to me ISF and didn't seem like it needed to be burped. Just removed the plug on the lower radiator, changed my water pump and thermostat and housing with OEM parts and filled her back up and turned the heat on full blast and poured more in it until it over flowed. Ran it for 20 min then waited until it cooled down then refilled the overflow and poured more in under the cap.
Old 02-10-16, 06:32 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by isfdude
I did this to me ISF and didn't seem like it needed to be burped. Just removed the plug on the lower radiator, changed my water pump and thermostat and housing with OEM parts and filled her back up and turned the heat on full blast and poured more in it until it over flowed. Ran it for 20 min then waited until it cooled down then refilled the overflow and poured more in under the cap.
thanks for the reply. im hoping its this easy. i got new radiator hoses to install as well. i still haven't done my recall dealer work, im not sure if i should just drop it off for them to do it all since they might change my fluid and give me a new radiator anyways for the cooling fan bolts.
Old 02-10-16, 10:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

If you haven't done the fan bolt recall, just have Lexus do it. Odds are you'll get a new radiator and tank out of the deal. I did.
Old 02-10-16, 10:34 PM
nickj718
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 44 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-install.html
Old 02-11-16, 10:51 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

thanks Guys, i think im going to take it in for recall. a new radiator, coolant res, my new HPS coolant hoses, and new coolant flush sounds like a good deal.
Old 02-13-16, 11:59 PM
allst4risf
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

does any one know if 2012 isf can get the coolant bolt recall done? it doesnt show up as a recall in mylexus.com
Old 02-14-16, 05:35 AM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

When I changed my water pump, and hence had to refill the coolant, I burped it by leaving the radiator cap off and bring it up to operating temperature (turned the heat up full inside the car). It was messy, and took longer than I thought to get all the air out, but it worked well.
-R
Old 02-14-16, 08:48 AM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a drain bolt on the block? I know some engines have a bolt directly on the block to drain the extra coolant inside(which I think would hold a lot on a 5.0 liter).
Old 11-14-20, 09:26 AM
Ericspyder
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR
Is there a drain bolt on the block? I know some engines have a bolt directly on the block to drain the extra coolant inside(which I think would hold a lot on a 5.0 liter).
Have anyone ever drain coolant out of drain bolts on the block of ISF? I tried to but couldn't reach them.
Old 11-14-20, 03:43 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericspyder
Have anyone ever drain coolant out of drain bolts on the block of ISF? I tried to but couldn't reach them.
To completely remove old coolant out? I Didn't want to mess with mine so I just drained through the radiator, let the car warm up and idle with heater on, slowly open bottom radiator drain, let drain to a container and top off reservoir with distilled water and don't let it run dry, keep draining and topping off until clear water comes out the bottom.
Old 11-15-20, 10:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericspyder
Yes. Not easy to do. Better with very small hands, wobble extensions, and some tubing to route the coolant into a container instead of making a huge mess. Didn't seem to help a whole lot when I fixed my valley plate leak.

Quick Reply: anyone have a DIY on coolant change/flush