IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

As the search continues....2008 or 2010+??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-16, 11:13 AM
mmartin061
banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default As the search continues....2008 or 2010+??

I have seen that the ECU has been cracked for the ISF. With that in mind I would like some opinions on whether I should save myself around $5000+ on an 08 or 09 with lower miles and spend that extra money to buy some other mods and the ECU tune? I figure I can go with that and an aftermarket LSD and be @ the same price point as a 2010. Would like to have some ideas thrown around since my ideas and thoughts change a lot. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-16, 11:14 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

2011+ if you can
Old 02-08-16, 11:36 AM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by jspecvtec
2011+ if you can
And is the reason being the updated suspension and LSD as well as headlights and interior? Usually. I guess I am getting at is it really worth the $5000 difference in price? I won't be tracking the car or racing it and it will be mostly a garage queen and taken out when the weather is perfect. AggieOne a member here is posting a very lucrative Matador Red one that is cathing my eye and has what seems to be some nice upgrades minus the LSD.
Old 02-08-16, 02:26 PM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmartin061
And is the reason being the updated suspension and LSD as well as headlights and interior? Usually. I guess I am getting at is it really worth the $5000 difference in price? I won't be tracking the car or racing it and it will be mostly a garage queen and taken out when the weather is perfect. AggieOne a member here is posting a very lucrative Matador Red one that is cathing my eye and has what seems to be some nice upgrades minus the LSD.

If these things don't mean that much to you then go for the 08-09.. I would advise you to drive both of them and then make your decision that way.

And Mods we REALLY need to make a sticky for the "what year model ISF should i buy"???

hell i might even volunteer to make it!

Token
Old 02-08-16, 02:43 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tokenblkgy
If these things don't mean that much to you then go for the 08-09.. I would advise you to drive both of them and then make your decision that way.

And Mods we REALLY need to make a sticky for the "what year model ISF should i buy"???

Token

I'm with Token here.

I myself purchased on 08. Right price, right time, and right color. Suspension didn't worry me much since I'd be more than likely upgrading suspension components throughout ownership anyhow. LSD eventually. But I know I won't be tracking the car etc. Just leisurely drives and something to enjoy.
Old 02-08-16, 02:47 PM
mmartin061
banned

Token
Allright then make a thread for it sticky forum or what not and then move it to that section. I appreciate the input and people that would like to share their thoughts and opinions. Without being a burden on members that can simply look over the title and move on it's a place I thought where people could freely post and ask questions and be part of a community of sorts. I don't own an ISF and have been looking for a while and have been really close on several occasions but it was never the perfect fit. But thanks for your opinion either way. I was trying to get at some specifics and ownership experience.
Old 02-08-16, 02:52 PM
calteg
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Bear in mind that the colloquial wisdom is that the vast majority of USDM ISFs are 2008's. Every year thereafter, they produced ~1,000 units. So if you're searching for the perfect 2011 or 2012, you may be searching a long, long time
Old 02-08-16, 02:56 PM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by calteg
Bear in mind that the colloquial wisdom is that the vast majority of USDM ISFs are 2008's. Every year thereafter, they produced ~1,000 units. So if you're searching for the perfect 2011 or 2012, you may be searching a long, long time
Yes that's what I have heard. There are some nice examples out there for 11'a and 12's+. But a car of this caliber at least for what I think of as being high caliber, is probably worth piece of mind buying maybe private from someone who took meticulous care of it and had it serviced properly. Everyone knows that it's a culmination of improper maintenance that leads to failure in most cases not one single event. Something small not found can equal big money down the road.
Old 02-08-16, 05:33 PM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmartin061
Allright then make a thread for it sticky forum or what not and then move it to that section. I appreciate the input and people that would like to share their thoughts and opinions. Without being a burden on members that can simply look over the title and move on it's a place I thought where people could freely post and ask questions and be part of a community of sorts. I don't own an ISF and have been looking for a while and have been really close on several occasions but it was never the perfect fit. But thanks for your opinion either way. I was trying to get at some specifics and ownership experience.
Apologies man if that came off "assholish" it was simply a nod to we should probably make one because similar questions are asked multiple times. I think i commented on the same question a few posts down from this one. I can get long winded in my replies so i usually go all out on some of them, but sometimes i dont because its the same questions. No offfense. I recognize your scree name from a previous posts It dawned on me that you are still looking for an F i thought you found one?

What is your budget? That could maybe get a better response from the members as to what you should shoot for. Depending on that you can justify if you should get a 2008,-2010 over the 11 or 12's. I liked too many aspects of the 2011 for me to go for the 2009 or 8. I plan to track and drive my car hard and I wanted the updated suspension ( i drove 300 miles in a 2008 and i could tell the difference from the 2011-2012's), i liked the Ideas of the Torsen LSD, since i have that in my Supra Turbo and i loved the looks of the LEDs and updated interior. I found a USB 2011 for 35K i found some 2008-2009 with more miles and some with less miles for 32-40K.. It was a no brainer for me.

You said it best. If you don't plan on doing any of those things that would warrant a 2011+ then don't worry about it. save the money..
Old 02-08-16, 05:59 PM
mmartin061
banned

Apologies man if that came off "assholish" it was simply a nod to we should probably make one because similar questions are asked multiple times. I think i commented on the same question a few posts down from this one. I can get long winded in my replies so i usually go all out on some of them, but sometimes i dont because its the same questions. No offfense. I recognize your scree name from a previous posts It dawned on me that you are still looking for an F i thought you found one?

What is your budget? That could maybe get a better response from the members as to what you should shoot for. Depending on that you can justify if you should get a 2008,-2010 over the 11 or 12's. I liked too many aspects of the 2011 for me to go for the 2009 or 8. I plan to track and drive my car hard and I wanted the updated suspension ( i drove 300 miles in a 2008 and i could tell the difference from the 2011-2012's), i liked the Ideas of the Torsen LSD, since i have that in my Supra Turbo and i loved the looks of the LEDs and updated interior. I found a USB 2011 for 35K i found some 2008-2009 with more miles and some with less miles for 32-40K.. It was a no brainer for me.

You said it best. If you don't plan on doing any of those things that would warrant a 2011+ then don't worry about it. save the money..
I appreciate it. No harm no foul. I'm not I guess as well versed as a lot of members here. The money is a bigger expense for me and I hope to own this car for a while. I just really think it embodies not stupid fast and practical. I have owned a few high end cars and like I have said in the past aGMC Syclone with 41,000 original miles and original everything that would rival most new cars in interior and exterior appearance. But I know nothing but what i read and opinions of these cars. I love to soak up knowledge and hope in asking questions it engages the reader to get excit s about sharing knowledge.
Old 02-08-16, 06:08 PM
mmartin061
banned

I drove 1 2011 with low miles. And loved it. I also saw a member posting his 2008 with some nice updates for 29990. Texas guy Budget is easier to get at a dealership than through personal finance if you are not willing to put out collateral for your loan. Interest rates are higher on Sig loans than on secured by a lot. If you buy private, prices are generally lower and you have a better chance at getting a better maintained car. But with that most Credit Unions on an older car won't give you more than 4 years to finance so you better coufh up a down payment. I can get into an 08 for about $60 less a month low miles properly maintained than a '12 saw included only difference being is 48 or 72 months of financing.
Old 02-09-16, 07:06 AM
nickj718
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 44 Posts

I was in your same shoes in October. When you take so much time searching and looking at so many pretty soon you realize its all about how immaculate the car is. I found a 2nd owned 08 with 33k on the clock Obsiden black and the car looked and smelled new. To both owners it was a "fun" car and not a dd. Never saw rain or snow. The car literally looks new and the interior even smells new. I walked away buying it for 29k and its the best decision i ever made. I can always buy a diff and the suspensions isnt big to me since a nice pair of coils are 1200. I did the gutted cats,x-force exhaust, rr-racing intake and the rr-racing tune. All I gotta say is DAMN. Wouldnt chance a thing. Its easy to find these if your willing to drive (I drove 10 hours for mine) its the flawless condition thats tough

So at the end of the day 29k for the car and if I wanted to buy 11 headlights, coilovers and a diff its like what you said 5k. So 34k for a 08/11 immaculate ISF im good with that.
Old 02-09-16, 07:18 AM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by nickj718
I was in your same shoes in October. When you take so much time searching and looking at so many pretty soon you realize its all about how immaculate the car is. I found a 2nd owned 08 with 33k on the clock Obsiden black and the car looked and smelled new. To both owners it was a "fun" car and not a dd. Never saw rain or snow. The car literally looks new and the interior even smells new. I walked away buying it for 29k and its the best decision i ever made. I can always buy a diff and the suspensions isnt big to me since a nice pair of coils are 1200. I did the gutted cats,x-force exhaust, rr-racing intake and the rr-racing tune. All I gotta say is DAMN. Wouldnt chance a thing. Its easy to find these if your willing to drive (I drove 10 hours for mine) its the flawless condition thats tough

So at the end of the day 29k for the car and if I wanted to buy 11 headlights, coilovers and a diff its like what you said 5k. So 34k for a 08/11 immaculate ISF im good with that.
Yes I agree sometimes that "flawless" one is really going to make you the happiest. A person in here selling his/hers may be an enthusiast and takes care of their F far more than the guy/girl that just "trades" it in. Generally speaking. If you can get a few extra goodies that they have done to it all the better. When I went to Colorado to look at the 2011 with 41k on it that they priced down to 32 before auction I kicked myself. But the paint was far from perfect. And some of the marks may not have come out with just your 2 stage. Is it worth it to not have a flawless exterior but one that is say %90 on a black car or %98? This are questions only the person buying can answer. For me LED running lights aren't important I actually don't like the looks of them. So the newly released RR tune is worth it? And around $800?
Old 02-09-16, 07:32 AM
nickj718
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 44 Posts

You tell me
Old 02-09-16, 08:16 AM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by nickj718
So both of them are with all the mods? I certainly do like the stock exhaust sound as well. I'm guessing if you're a fan of the upgrade then you would know better than me since I don't own one lol you all make this hard for me not to just buy one already

Quick Reply: As the search continues....2008 or 2010+??