IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What Oil do you put in your F?

Old 02-06-16, 04:56 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For one you want to have contaminants in your oil. If it's not in your oil it's in your motor. That's the point of an oil filter and oil is to keep the oil suspended long enough to be trapped by the filter. Also, those chemicals in your oil break it down over time and/or use since you're bound to leave behind debris and contaminants using gasoline to power an engine. That's why they tell you both a limit in months before your next oil change or mileage.

Secondly, motor oil need to cling to the parts on the inside of the motor so that the oil stays on all surfaces long enough to reduce friction and carry away heat.
Old 02-06-16, 08:01 PM
nicklausw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Funny how everyone like to say "this feels better" but no one posts anything useful like a used oil analysis.

Sure Red Line is good oil, and so is RP, but do they make a measurable difference in an NA engine? My UOA says not at all.

Mobil 1 5w-30 in my F with UOA to back up my claims from the very beginning. Bring your data to prove me wrong if you even have it.
Any details on how to get an analysis done? I just picked up a 08 and would be interested in sending it off when I change it.
Old 02-06-16, 08:10 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by nicklausw
Any details on how to get an analysis done? I just picked up a 08 and would be interested in sending it off when I change it.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php
Old 02-06-16, 08:10 PM
nicklausw
Pole Position

Thank you!
Old 02-07-16, 10:20 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Funny how everyone like to say "this feels better" but no one posts anything useful like a used oil analysis.

Sure Red Line is good oil, and so is RP, but do they make a measurable difference in an NA engine? My UOA says not at all.

Mobil 1 5w-30 in my F with UOA to back up my claims from the very beginning. Bring your data to prove me wrong if you even have it.
Damn straight...!!!

Below was my first test after running Conventional Mobil 5w30 oil from Walmart + OEM filter for over 100k miles..

For my needs using synthetic oil would be a waste..

Joe Z

Post from 12/15

Originally Posted by Joe Z
As promised.. Here is my IS F's (2UR-GSE) FIRST oil analysis report..

113k miles on the clock.. Oil changed DIY every 5-6k miles w/ conventional Mobil 5w30
(Never had synthetic in it)

Any questions..... Anyone ???

~ Joe Z
Old 02-07-16, 10:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,837 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Damn straight...!!!

Below was my first test after running Conventional Mobil 5w30 oil from Walmart + OEM filter for over 100k miles..

Joe Z

Post from 12/15
We've spent very similar dollars on oil over time with your labor investment more than twice mine. It all comes down to where do you want to spend your time, under the car or driving the car?
Old 02-08-16, 09:38 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Damn straight...!!!

Joe Z
Hmm, so let's see. You choose to use conventional (less expensive) oil over a good (more expensive) synthetic and an oil filter that is quite a bit more expensive than a proven equally effective less expensive oil filter

Lou
Old 02-08-16, 09:51 AM
mmartin061
banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lumpydonut
Previous owner told me he always ran Mobil 5w30, however, I'm a firm believer in Rotella T6 5w40 so I may switch to that when it comes time for a change.
Rotella is made by Shell and if I am not mistaken the SR71 Blackbird used She'll oil or Shell lubricants. Plus there are data sheets that Shell is one of the best gases you can out in your vehicle. It's not always how much you spend on marketing but rather about facts. What is your belief on why Rotella is the best?
Old 02-08-16, 09:58 AM
mmartin061
banned

Damn straight...!!!

Joe Z

Post from 12/15
Joe I would have to agree. I have read articles where they have stated that synthetic motor oil is not the "Mechanic in the bottle" that they make it out to be. Running conventional motor oil is just fine for your engine. I am not %100 sure if that included high end motors. But you certainly have some proff in the pudding. I'm sure all of the people contradicting this have their own ways of analyzing motor oil to back their proof? I have used BlackStobw many times on my Inline6 and except a couple of times a little higher than normal copper wear I have used cheap oil and cheap filters and they have told me that my engine will run for a very long time and that is with 6-8000 mile intervals. People don't realize that oil has come along way along with the tight tolerances that engines have. I have also read that dark motor oil is not necessarily a bad thing since you know your oil is actually catching the contaminants. This is from a highly reverred race car driver .
Old 02-08-16, 10:02 AM
mmartin061
banned

Dave who's car did you get? I have seen your postings and that you were looking for one. You finally got one congrats.
Old 02-08-16, 05:13 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I change my oil twice a year if that, since I don't drive the car daily.

I honestly don't worry too much about what exactly the oil is doing at any given moment.
Old 02-08-16, 05:26 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

We've spent very similar dollars on oil over time with your labor investment more than twice mine. It all comes down to where do you want to spend your time, under the car or driving the car?
You make a valid point Lobux.. By now I'm sure you know I'm in and out of there pretty quick

I'm not too interested in the extended OCI process... MY F's a fwy queen..

5-6k mile intervals is my max. So using synthetic is a waste for me..

Joe Z
Old 02-08-16, 05:34 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

Originally Posted by flowrider
Hmm, so let's see. You choose to use conventional (less expensive) oil over a good (more expensive) synthetic and an oil filter that is quite a bit more expensive than a proven equally effective less expensive oil filter

Lou
Lou, do I have to drink the same cool aide that you do ?

Soo far I'm doing everything by the Lexus book specs with ZERO issues..

Not sure what's going on with you lately, but honestly take a chill pill...

We haven't clashed this much in years..

Joe Z

PSA

• Hello my name is Joe Z •

I use Factory spec 5w30 Conventional Oil for my IS F.

I use the Factory spec Oil Filter for my IS F.

Running strong w/ 116K Miles - Any questions ??
Old 02-08-16, 06:03 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Lou,

but honestly take a chill pill...
Nio chill pill needed, I am not upset in the least. Just pointing out something that I find most confusing And I don't consider this a clash, not in the least.

As I've said previously to each his own.

Soo far I'm doing everything by the Lexus book specs with ZERO issues.
Really Does the Lexus book include PNs for the exhaust, intake, wheels, brake pads and other mods on your car? I know they don't for mine. And your fix for the fan recall bolt issue, while being better then the Lexus fix is not in the Lexus book.

Just having a little fun here and maybe, just maybe trying to get you to see how following the holy grail is not always the best road.

Lou
Old 02-08-16, 06:48 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by flowrider
Nio chill pill needed, I am not upset in the least. Just pointing out something that I find most confusing And I don't consider this a clash, not in the least.

As I've said previously to each his own.

Really Does the Lexus book include PNs for the exhaust, intake, wheels, brake pads and other mods on your car? I know they don't for mine. And your fix for the fan recall bolt issue, while being better then the Lexus fix is not in the Lexus book.

Just having a little fun here and maybe, just maybe trying to get you to see how following the holy grail is not always the best road.

Lou
Naturally I don't consider maintenance, oil & filter upgrades or downgrades a mod perse.

But to be honest, switching to a cheaper costing Toyota filter and then spending more money on synthetic oil, does not suite my needs..

So yes to each his own..

Lexus' solution to the fan bolt recall is not impressive at the least..

My secondary fan failed early on because of the design flaw.. Obviously their solution of putting same (new) Phillip screw bolts + loctite was the faster and most cost effective "fix".
Which will probably work just fine..

As you know when my radiator top seal blew.. I took advantage of the problem and upgraded to much MORE secure SS bolts with locking nylon nuts..
Zero probability of failure in my book..

During my excessive oil changes, that's one less thing for me to inspect

Joe Z

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Oil do you put in your F?