IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What Oil do you put in your F?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-16, 08:30 AM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFC89
I'm going to give the RL 5w30 a go. Lots of local parts stores stock it at $11 a quart

Care to explain the "Car seems to like" part of your post?

Thanks for the heads up on the Tool. Just ordered it.
You can get it in quarts, gallons, 5 gallons and 55 gallon increments.
Old 02-05-16, 09:46 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

i use my blood type O about 9 and 3/4 quarts once every 8k miles interval lolz
Old 02-05-16, 11:04 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Pennzoil platinum, 10k miles
Old 02-05-16, 11:09 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Royal Purple HPS 5w-30
Old 02-05-16, 11:47 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigjon3475
Same here. It's what the Lexus dealership puts in here. I don't know about other dealerships though.
I had a situation at my dealership two intervals back, where I found out they put in the incorrect viscousity. They claim they use the same oil for every car. They have an oil drum thats connected to a pressure hose through the ceiling at every maintenance station. They also have the nitrogen hose and other fast convenient lines running next to each other. This way the mechanic, can change your oil, air up your tires, blow air to clean parts, etc.
I was so upset and disappointed that a master tech couldn't at least read the engine took 5w-30. My go to tech was on vacation! It turns out if you own an ISF, you must make an appointment...this way you can clarify the make and model and they should order the right oil before you get it changed at the dealership. I was also told since it wasn't a common model, they weren't accustomed to stocking 5w-30 frequently. Being that the RCF was getting around that they were going to begin stocking 5w-30. Moral of the story, can't trust the dealership.

I started bringing in redline 5w-30 and monitor as my go to tech puts it in. I don't let anyone else touch the car! Redline feels fantastic on the F...every time I drive the car it feels like I just changed the oil! The best part, it feels the same way throughout the 5k interval. Before, the car felt fresh in the first couple days and week...after a while, it started feeling tired and idled noisy. Now it's smooth and quite. Anyways, sorry for the long post!
Old 02-05-16, 11:57 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
I had a situation at my dealership two intervals back, where I found out they put in the incorrect viscousity. They claim they use the same oil for every car. They have an oil drum thats connected to a pressure hose through the ceiling at every maintenance station. They also have the nitrogen hose and other fast convenient lines running next to each other. This way the mechanic, can change your oil, air up your tires, blow air to clean parts, etc.
I was so upset and disappointed that a master tech couldn't at least read the engine took 5w-30. My go to tech was on vacation! It turns out if you own an ISF, you must make an appointment...this way you can clarify the make and model and they should order the right oil before you get it changed at the dealership. I was also told since it wasn't a common model, they weren't accustomed to stocking 5w-30 frequently. Being that the RCF was getting around that they were going to begin stocking 5w-30. Moral of the story, can't trust the dealership.

I started bringing in redline 5w-30 and monitor as my go to tech puts it in. I don't let anyone else touch the car! Redline feels fantastic on the F...every time I drive the car it feels like I just changed the oil! The best part, it feels the same way throughout the 5k interval. Before, the car felt fresh in the first couple days and week...after a while, it started feeling tired and idled noisy. Now it's smooth and quite. Anyways, sorry for the long post!
how much do you get the RL for and where?
Old 02-05-16, 12:13 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

Mobil Super 5000 5w-30... I daily commute the F and rack up a lot of miles so I'm doing oil changes almost every couple of months at 5k miles. Been using this oil for the past 60k with no issues (car currently has 130k on the odo)
Old 02-05-16, 01:55 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joker4096
how much do you get the RL for and where?
I purchase it through Amazon...two 1 gallon jugs that's 8 quarts at $47.11 each & two 1 quart bottles for $11.95 each. I order ahead of time to avoid shipping costs...yeah I know not the most convenient or cost effective. Regardless, I'm sold! It truly feels awesome on the car...I had ticking noise that was getting louder and louder from the engine and now it's gone! Also, I had burned off 2 quarts of oil with the conventional stuff the dealership was putting in. I had the LOW OIL LEVEL light come on at only 3600k of driving. The dealership claimed I was driving the car too hard?...😡😡😡🤔🤔🤔. I set them straight real quick...The first time I switched over to redline, I immediately felt the difference! The feel of the car never went away throughout the interval. The second interval felt even better. I've had no issues thus far! Do some research and let the reviews speak for themselves. Oh! And I never changed my driving habits...it's an F!
Old 02-05-16, 02:15 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFC89
I'm going to give the RL 5w30 a go. Lots of local parts stores stock it at $11 a quart

Care to explain the "Car seems to like" part of your post?

Thanks for the heads up on the Tool. Just ordered it.
The car runs very smooth, the oil temp is always stable after warmup, the oil seems to last for a while, it doesn't get dirty very quickly.

I was a fan of Castrol Syntec before, but after a few months it just turns black and when it comes out it looks like old iced tea mixed with coal.

RedLine has been around for a while (Benicia, CA) and a lot of people trust their motor and gear oils.

Give it a shot, form your opinion.
Old 02-05-16, 04:04 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SoulFreak

I can only hope. The RCF/GSF motor is actually cheaper than the ISF motor (at least from what I can see). I'd never be so lucky as to have them leave an oil plug loose or something. After reading through this forum, I'm pretty sure I spent a bunch of money on a warranty I probably will never use. Wadayado?
Old 02-05-16, 10:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Funny how everyone like to say "this feels better" but no one posts anything useful like a used oil analysis.

Sure Red Line is good oil, and so is RP, but do they make a measurable difference in an NA engine? My UOA says not at all.

Mobil 1 5w-30 in my F with UOA to back up my claims from the very beginning. Bring your data to prove me wrong if you even have it.
Old 02-05-16, 10:09 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Funny how everyone like to say "this feels better" but no one posts anything useful like a used oil analysis.

Sure Red Line is good oil, and so is RP, but do they make a measurable difference in an NA engine? My UOA says not at all.

Mobil 1 5w-30 in my F with UOA to back up my claims from the very beginning. Bring your data to prove me wrong if you even have it.
I knew you were going to chime in Lobux!...ill make sure my tech pulls a sample on my next oil change and update this thread. I'm curious with the results as well...
Old 02-06-16, 04:49 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

I've always and been using Mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic oil never had a problem....knock on wood.
Old 02-06-16, 08:32 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Friends with marketing of pennzoil , i get free 5 quart jugsof pennzoil platinum for me and my family for free
Old 02-06-16, 12:58 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

So let me ask you this then, they conduct these tests and tell you what's going on.

What else can they tell you that you may not already know? I mean, they can say your engine is wearing out at this rate or this way..........ok, all engines wear out, that's the nature of the beast.

What else can one benefit from with these tests? Can they tell him to switch to a different oil or grade?

Quick Reply: What Oil do you put in your F?